PDA

View Full Version : Sleep apnea test

davidpizzica
04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Tomorrow night is the big night for my test. I'm not too worried about it because it'll involve a lot of EEG wires and some other wires, but I'm used to being wired up. I'll take everything over in an overnight case. Their TV only has four channels, but they do have a DVD player. They said I can bring a DVD with me, which will be appropiate enough "Sleeper" with Woody Allen!

beeniesmom
04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Don't worry. It's easy! All you have to do is sleep. :D

Laura's Babies
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Sleep well David!! (GOOD luck)

Karen
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
We'll be thinking of you!

davidpizzica
04-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Wonderful. Another area to worry about with my health. I definitely have sleep apnea. They'll contact me in a couple of days to see where I go to in terms of treatment. I expected a a regular room with a hospital bed. Instead it was a beautiful comfortable bed in what looked like a small hotel room. I wish I had cheerier news!

beeniesmom
04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Wonderful. Another area to worry about with my health. I definitely have sleep apnea. They'll contact me in a couple of days to see where I go to in terms of treatment. I expected a a regular room with a hospital bed. Instead it was a beautiful comfortable bed in what looked like a small hotel room. I wish I had cheerier news!

David, please don't worry. I know it's hard but please try to look at it as a blessing that they are able to detect this. Once you get your C-Pap machine, you will notice a really big difference. You will sleep better, you will be more rested AND, if you have a high blood pressure issue, it will probably disappear or be reduced greatly. Your quality of life will improve.
We really need to be thankful that modern medicine can detect and help treat these ailments that probably just a decade ago weren't treatable.
I always tell myself that 'it could be worse' when I get bad news from the drs. office. Usually it makes me feel better and helps me through the day.

Laura's Babies
04-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Don't fret David. That is a SMALL blip in life compared to some thing that can go wrong with a human body and who knows, once you loose some of that weight, it may help a LOT How are you doing with your eating habits? We are all in your corner rooting for you!

Just resting better will change so many things for the better for you!

Medusa
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Remember, too, David, that you're on a "get healthy" kick and when you lose weight, you may discover that you no longer have sleep apnea. That was the case w/a friend of mine who used a C-pap until she lost weight and now it's no longer necessary. Until then, the C-pap will help you sleep better and when you're rested, you'll have more energy to work out and get into shape. Good luck and sweet dreams. :)

davidpizzica
04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I have another session with the apnea people on may 10th at 8:30 p.m. where they will try various machines and masks to see what works on me. When I first heard "sleep apnea", it kinda threw me, but now it's just another problem to overcome like my other ones.

lvpets2002
04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
:) Well here is what you do David.. Take a picture of Donna so you can dream well & take your Sleeper DVD & that should have you all complete..:D Sleep tight & dont let the bed bugs bite.. Good Luck & let us know the turn out..

davidpizzica
04-23-2009, 11:32 AM
:) Well here is what you do David.. Take a picture of Donna so you can dream well & take your Sleeper DVD & that should have you all complete..:D Sleep tight & dont let the bed bugs bite.. Good Luck & let us know the turn out..

Hey, maybe with the picture of Donna, I wouldn't need that breathing machine!!

Catty1
04-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey, maybe with the picture of Donna, I wouldn't need that breathing machine!!

ROFL!!!!!

David, apparently sleep apnea can cause strokes in people, so I am really glad you can be treated now. I am waiting to hear how much more energy you have. :)

A funny story: A man I know quite well told me a story about discovering he had sleep apnea - I think he was in his 60's before he found out. At the time, his wife was battling inoperable liver cancer. They fought it as a team, and did well, but they knew the inevitable and took it a day at a time.

After he got his C-Pap machine, they were in bed one night, and after he put the mask on, he said to her, "I'll never get a date!" :D

As others have said, as you take care of your health, maybe your apnea will go away.

Good vibes and prayers your way!

cassiesmom
04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
It's a piece of cake. I just had my first equipment change. Got a new hose and mask. Don't do what I did at the beginning which was put the water in the humidifier and then forget to turn the dial for the humidity up from zero! In the morning I'm like wow, look how little water it used! Then I'm sneezing my head off all day from the increased air pressure with no humidity. The dial goes from 0 to 5 and over the winter I used it on 4 every night. Now I'm back down to 3 the last couple of weeks. See if you can get nasal pillows in addition to a mask when you get your equipment. You might find the pillows more comfortable.

I have this one (The Respironics REMstar)
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:yzacJjqYOJNUGM:http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/images/respironics/mseries/pro/remstar-pro-int-humidifier.jpg and the round dial at the left is for the humidity. On/off is a push button.

davidpizzica
05-11-2009, 07:03 AM
When I went in last night, I asked the sleep nurse how many times I stopped breathing the last time. She said I stopped 57 times an hour! It was very high bordering on being dangerous. Last night however with my being on the BIPAP (sp?) machine the nurse said I slept like a baby! This week I'll be getting my own machine and I'll be able to sleep good. What a difference!