PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7?

blue
04-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Anybody else giving it a shakedown?

First impression is its faster then Vista but not as quick as XP SP3 is.

Puckstop31
04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Of course... I really like it so far. It's what Vista should have been in the first place. I do suggest a clean install and not the upgrade. The only issues I have encountered so far is some problems when using multiple displays and that it does not dock/undock very well.

Our company is participating in the official partner test program and we even got invited (out of thousands of applicants from the Small Business sector) to go to the launch event, whenever that might be.

What kind of hardware are you running it on?

blue
04-21-2009, 11:02 AM
I have a clean install on a partion on my Acer T180, 2.2 GHz, 2g ram.

All 3 monitors worked right off the bat for me, but Ultramon dosent work with 7. The onboard ethernet that wouldnt work with XP works just fine with 7. No issues with my server.

My XP machine is still faster.

Hellow
04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
My hardware would die if I tried to run Windows 7. Plus, I still prefer Linux over it. From the reviews I have seen, though, it looks to be better than Vista ever was/is.

lvpets2002
04-21-2009, 04:39 PM
:) Now my new laptop came with Vista.. Yes I have problems loading some things with it.. It comflicts.. Now with my old laptop I had XP & it would allow with no problems to load with anything.. So I may check out this windows 7.. Is It ready to buy from the stores yet??

blue
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
The finale version wont be out till later in the year, this is the Beta test version.

Ive been playing with it most of the day, I might have to get the finale version when the Beta stops working.

blue
04-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I probably will not continue using W7 on this machine and wont install it on the other. On this machine with 2 different web browsers open and watching a video, the browsers work OK and the video skips badly. For my use 2Gs of memory isnt enough for W7 and my machines max out at 2Gs. Im running 3 monitors on this machine and its a lower end unit. Better machines with only 1 monitor would run W7 without any of the issues Im having.

The gadgets are cool, the animated windows are cool but take up memory and slow things down a little bit on my setup. I couldnt get Ultramon (http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/) to work unless I used the Classic theme another minus for me as I have multiple monitors on both machines and I like the animated windows W7 offered.

I was realy impressed with how W7 didnt need any setup for multiple monitors with 2 different graphics cards, I did not like that I couldnt find a way to have different desktops for each monitor.

Im getting a 3rd computer in the next couple of days and will dual boot W7 and Ubuntu on it with a single monitor.

Maybe if Im able to strip W7 down the way Ive been able to strip XP down Ill run it on this machine again.

ETA: Way better then Vista but my stripped down version of XP is still faster.