PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy - Beautiful Long Hair Male Cat Needs a Home - 1st Lady Declined

Anikaca77
04-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi All,

On March 24, 2009 I noticed this younger looking cat outside my apartment complex and I thought it was a tortie but I was incorrect. It turned out to be a male cat and he was long hair. I posted this thread about him shortly after I trapped him and now he's looking for a foster home or forever home.

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=151584

I have been posting up ads for him to try to get him a forever home but no one seems interested.

When I first trapped him he was covered in burdocks and he even had some around his private areas and he needed to be shaved because of them. The vet was able to do a great job on cleaning him up.

He is negative for FIV/FELV. He's very scared right now and I'd love to get him a great home where someone will take the time to give him love and care.

Right now he is staying at Shirley's house (the lady I volunteer with) but he has to stay in the cage in the basement because she doesn't have any other room for him and I can't take him in because of Ashley and her peeing everywhere.

Please if you know someone who would be willing to foster him or adopt him please let me know. I'd be willing to drive him to you. I just want to see him get a great home and he really deserves one. He has some battle scares but he's not mean or aggressive. He's just very scared and I was talking with Shirley about him last night and she said all he seems to do is just lay on the bed and not move around that much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa

Laura's Babies
04-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Wow! He is beautiful! GOOD LUCK pretty boy on a forever home!

Do not sweat it, when the timing is right, his perfect home will come.

GILL
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
He is handsom. With that color he could be Pretty Girls (Precious) brother

Anikaca77
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Gill are you interested :)

He is very sweet...he's just so scared.

Melissa

lvpets2002
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
:) Yes that is what I thought.. He looks like Pretty Girl.. He is such a Handsome boy.. Come on John just one more..;)
He is handsom. With that color he could be Pretty Girls (Precious) brother

GILL
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
You realy want too tic off my wife, another boy in the house. It seems that all the guys except Chessie and Bailey are my buds, along with Precious and Penny. All the rest are hers. Chessie is her baby and is very jelious.

catmandu
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
We really wish we could , but we are trying to get Pouncer Roccalno :)and Greystoke :)into the Hotel.
:love::love:
We are praying that someone will see that Wonderful Cat and fall in love.
:love::love:
In the name of Our All Mighty Lord God above we join you in prayer for a happy ending.
:love::love::love::love:

GILL
04-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Just keep me informed.

Medusa
04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Aw, poor little guy looks scared and confused. Prayers are going up that he'll find a permanent home soon.

Anikaca77
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I will be going to see Ozzy tomorrow night and I'll let everyone know how he's doing. So far he's just really scared and according to Shirley he doesn't move that much. Only to eat and go to the bathroom and then he just sits back down on his bed thing and well to be honest it's very sad and it breaks my heart but with my two having some pee wars in the house (esp. since I rent) I can't take him in even though I'd love to.

Please cross post this if you can.

Thanks,
melissa

Anikaca77
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Today I got a call from Shirley (she's the one who I volunteer with and she is keeping Ozzy for me since I don't have enough space and the pee wars).

She told me that this lady who lives about 15 mins. from State College is really interested in Ozzy and she would like to give him a try.

This lady did contact Shirley a few weeks ago about Ozzy and Shirley told her it would be good idea if she could come and meet with Ozzy and see what she thinks of him. She hasn't been able to meet at Shirleys yet because she's on new medication and she's not supposed to drive with it.

She is on diability and has a dog who is a special needs dog and she's a retired vet as well.

So Shirley suggested for me to take Ozzy to meet this women and sorta scope out her home to make sure she's a right fit for him and when I spoke with her on the phone earlier today she does understand that this will take sometime or at least I hope she does.

I am going to make it clear that he may be freaked out for a while and he just needs love and care. I printed out some really good handouts on scared kitties and hopefully that will help her.

Tonight I will be taking Ozzy to meet this lady and then later on when he's comfortable she can introduce the dog to him.

I'm really hoping things are going to go well tonight and that he will be semi-comfortable there.

I'll let everyone know either later tonight or tomorrow how thing's went.

Catty1
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Prayers that Ozzy has a new furrever home, that it is love at first sight.

I would think that, as a retired vet, she had to soothe a lot of scared kitties in her career.

Hope it all works out!:love::)

Anikaca77
04-22-2009, 06:53 AM
First I need to clear up she's not that kind of retired vet

She was in the military and she is retired.

It went ok for the most part last night, Ozzy didn't seem to mind the dog at all except when he got out of her hands and he spazed a little bit but other than that he seemed to do ok. He was just really really scared and I held him and all he did was hide his face and I felt so bad for him.

She didn't take him last night because she didn't have any supplies ready she just wanted to do a meet and greet thing and I think it went well the only bad thing is that Shirley does not adopt out to people who smoke in the house and I think she does.

I'm hoping I can get in contact with this lady today and let her know that and hopefully she'll start smoking outside or just tell Shirley that so she can adopt Ozzy.

I'm not sure how you guys feel about smoking in the house but I know it's not good for anyone but I just feel like this maybe our only opportunity for him to find a good home and where someone is home all the time and can work with him.

I don't think she was up for paying the full adoption fee but I could be wrong but I'm willing to pay it so that he doesn't have to be stuck in a cage anymore.

Well that's all for now I'm going to try to contact this lady today at my lunch hour and let her know I'd pay the adoption fee if she really wants Ozzy.

Melissa

CultureJunky
04-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I really hope that this can be ozzy's forever home, I will keep my fingers crossed :)

Anikaca77
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Well I'm a complete sucker. The night I was taking Ozzy back to Shirley's I couldn't stand putting him in that cage again so I discussed him staying with me at our place with Shirley and she agreed that she thought it might do him some good to come and stay with us.

So I set him up in the bathroom Tuesday night and he did freak out a bit but he later calmed down.

Last night I spent a good amount of time with him and got him to purr. He's just so scared right now.

We haven't heard anything yet from that lady so I have a gut feeling she's not going to call and that she's not interested in him.

Maybe it was the adoption fee that she didn't want to pay but I told her I would cover it for her.

Anyone here who would love a sweet guy who just needs a little time?

Melissa

Medusa
04-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Well I'm a complete sucker. The night I was taking Ozzy back to Shirley's I couldn't stand putting him in that cage again so I discussed him staying with me at our place with Shirley and she agreed that she thought it might do him some good to come and stay with us.

So I set him up in the bathroom Tuesday night and he did freak out a bit but he later calmed down.

Last night I spent a good amount of time with him and got him to purr. He's just so scared right now.

We haven't heard anything yet from that lady so I have a gut feeling she's not going to call and that she's not interested in him.

Maybe it was the adoption fee that she didn't want to pay but I told her I would cover it for her.

Anyone here who would love a sweet guy who just needs a little time?

Melissa

Melissa, maybe I should mind my own business but I feel that you shouldn't pay the adoption fee for her. If she's really serious about adopting him, she'll pay it. If she can't afford it, she shouldn't be adopting. We'll send up extra prayers that he'll find his permanent home and in the meantime, thank you for taking him in and caring so much about him. :love:

Anikaca77
04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Melissa, maybe I should mind my own business but I feel that you shouldn't pay the adoption fee for her. If she's really serious about adopting him, she'll pay it. If she can't afford it, she shouldn't be adopting. We'll send up extra prayers that he'll find his permanent home and in the meantime, thank you for taking him in and caring so much about him. :love:

Mary-

Don't worry I'm not offended :) You are right though about paying for the adoption fee. I thought it would have been a good place for him because she spoiled her dog like crazy and just by the stuff around the house it looked like he is very spoiled but I'm sure we'll find a home for him.

I'm just really glad that he is allowing us to pick him up and last night I trimmed his claws and he was such a good boy for it. I'm glad I got him to purr as well.

Thanks,
Melissa

GILL
04-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Melissa I'm still keeping an eye out. As you know we are a bit tight right now, but I am willing to help if I can.

Anikaca77
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
John-

Thank you, I know you are tight right now. So far we are slowly introducing him to the cats. I'm leaving him the bathroom though where he can feel safe for right now.

If you'd want to take him at any point, I'd be glad to drive him to you just to see Pretty Girl (Precious) again.

Thank you again,
Melissa

Melissa I'm still keeping an eye out. As you know we are a bit tight right now, but I am willing to help if I can.

Anikaca77
04-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Well the lady called today and my husband just informed me that she has decided not to take Ozzy.

She said she can't afford it. I just wish she would have looked into the costs prior to this. Maybe I should have told her the costs and explained it better before actually going out there. At least we gave it a shot though.

I just have to push harder to get him a home. I'm going to start hanging flyers around.

Melissa

Catty1
04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Since she is a retired vet, why not call her and thank her for letting you know - and asking if she knows anyone else that might give Ozzy a home? She may know some former clients or coworkers.

HUGS and good luck - and glad to hear he is socializing so well!:love:

GILL
04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Push come to shove. I could take him, but he would be in with the rest of the crew. By the way Precious still does not like other cats, she tolerate some be get with in 1-2 fett and they could get a wack. On the othe rside she is my girl and likes to meet me at the door when I come in. The only problem I have with her is when I try to get her off my chest. I get growled at.

Anikaca77
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Since she is a retired vet, why not call her and thank her for letting you know - and asking if she knows anyone else that might give Ozzy a home? She may know some former clients or coworkers.

HUGS and good luck - and glad to hear he is socializing so well!:love:

Catty-

THanks! She's not that retired vet. She was in the military and retired.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Melissa

Catty1
04-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, THAT vet. :o

SORRY!

But she might still know people....:o:o:o

Anikaca77
04-23-2009, 02:50 PM
John-

Thank you very much. We are going to try to keep Ozzy until we can find him a good home hopefully and get him to open up a little more. We'll keep you updated.

Thank you so much for all your help already with Precious and Ozzy,

Melissa

Push come to shove. I could take him, but he would be in with the rest of the crew. By the way Precious still does not like other cats, she tolerate some be get with in 1-2 fett and they could get a wack. On the othe rside she is my girl and likes to meet me at the door when I come in. The only problem I have with her is when I try to get her off my chest. I get growled at.

Anikaca77
04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Here are just a few pics I took of Ozzy tonight. I need to get some better pics.

Medusa
04-24-2009, 05:41 AM
It's a shame but it'll prove to be in Ozzy's best interests. If he was meant to be w/her, he'd be there. The right home will come along. We're still praying for this pretty boy....

Anikaca77
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Ozzy has been making several improvements.

He is now purring pretty much as soon as you pick him up. He's still scared but he's doing so much better. He's been eating just fine which is great. This morning as well as yesterday morning (of course in the early hours) he was talking by the door to my other cats.

It was great to hear his little voice.

I'm so proud of how well he's doing.

Melissa

moosmom
04-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Melissa,

Things happen for a reason. From the get go, I had a feeling that it wasn't a good match. Let's face it, she could promise you the moon, promise not to declaw or smoke in the house. The minute the adoption is final, she can do what she wants.

So I'm kinda glad that he's with you.

Medusa
04-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Melissa,

Things happen for a reason. From the get go, I had a feeling that it wasn't a good match. Let's face it, she could promise you the moon, promise not to declaw or smoke in the house. The minute the adoption is final, she can do what she wants.

So I'm kinda glad that he's with you.

I agree w/Donna, Melissa. I'm a firm believer that cats choose us and not the other way around. At least that's what I tell myself when I had a day such as yesterday. Sounds good, right? LOL

Anikaca77
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Yes I agree as well.

But it's my job right now to find him the best home possible and hopefully I will find the right home for him.

He's still not wanting to stay out of the cat carrier that much but he's getting better and it looks like he likes other cats because as soon as we take in one of our cats as long as they are not grumpy he will chrip at them.

It's very cute.

He's being such a good boy.

Melissa

I agree w/Donna, Melissa. I'm a firm believer that cats choose us and not the other way around. At least that's what I tell myself when I had a day such as yesterday. Sounds good, right? LOL

Anikaca77
05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
A small update.

Ozzy has been getting better and better every day now. He's love his belly to be rubbed. He still stays in his cat carrier most of the time. He really really likes other cats.

I have some pictures I have to post but so far no one has called about him or anything.

He is listed on petfinder and craiglists but no one is biting yet.

Melissa

LionHart
05-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I hate to say it hon, but I wonder if Ozzy's already found a home? He might decide he wants to stay with you....:D

Anikaca77
05-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah I don't know. We already have 8 cats in one bedroom apartment. Yes we do take very great care of all of them but adding one more to he mix seems like just too many.

We are going to try to find him a home but no luck yet. Last weekend we let him come out of the bathroom if he wanted to and he ended up going into our box spring so we had to get him out before we went to bed so we didn't kill him by going on the bed and he didn't like that too much. We bought a tarp yesterday and we stapled it onto our bed spring so no cats can get in there anymore and hopefully that will work it seemed to last night.

He was out and about and woke me up by meowing at 4 a.m. or so. Not sure what he wanted but he was in the bathroom in his cat carrier.

Right now he's just hiding under the bed. He'll come out when he's ready.

We are having my parents over here today for supper for mothers day and I'm sure he won't come out the whole time.

I've included some pictures of him.

Melissa

I hate to say it hon, but I wonder if Ozzy's already found a home? He might decide he wants to stay with you....:D