PDA

View Full Version : Peeing on a chair...

emo
04-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Need to keep my cat, Clyde, off of a chair he's peed on that I'm trying to treat with AIP. I need to do this without my bf knowing the chair was peed on. It's in our living room that no one uses and I never catch Clyde in there. Any suggestions? I have feliway but I can't get the chair treated and dried out long enough to put it on. I had a gym bag and box on it since I'm moving and found out he peed on the gym bag trying to get to the chair. He still pees in his box a lot...all his outside the box problems are behavioral according to his vet. He also poops outside the box. The peeing is annoying because you can't always see it.

I should be finished moving this weekend so I need some other suggestions. I'll try anything!

Thanks!

catmandu
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Can you pit a cushion down, and if he pees on that keep changing cushions daily,
Or put plastic on that chair.
We wish you luck with Clyde.
:):):):):)

emo
04-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I probably should've mentioned that it's a upholstered living room chair that does not have removable cushions! I wish it did because it would be a lot easier to clean. The problem is that he likes to pee on the right side where the arm and bottom cushion meet and then it gets in the crack.

Is there some sort of spray or scent that I can use that would deter him that works?

Moesha
04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
First you have to clean the chair with an enzyme cleaner that will remove the odor completely, so it won't attract him back there. There are several, and I know people here have recommended different ones in the past that they have found to work well. I know Medusa and a couple others have an excellent list of things to help deter the inappropriate pee kitties. I know you posted that this kitty also has pooped outside of the box and that he was taken to the vet. I believe that the vet said it was a behavioral issue and recommended clomicalm. I know that you stated you were cautious of medicating him for the issues he is having, but several on here and others that I know of personally have had WONDERFUL results from using different medications to treat this problem. You may need to rethink that decision. I know that if you do a search, you'll probably find several threads that deal with this issue. If you wait a little while, you may get some other suggestions in this thread also. I hope you find something that works for you and the kitty.

ETA: I believe it is Urine Gone that I have used and that some others have recommended on here before. Although there are other cleaners that different ones prefer.

Medusa
04-17-2009, 06:03 AM
A resounding YES to everything that Moesha said. :)

emo
04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
I started out using Pet Odor Out and last night I retreated it with AIP (anti icky poo) so we'll see what happens. AIP is supposed to get rid of the smell of dead bodies so if that doesn't work I don't know what will.

Thank you so much for all the advice and support. I'm so glad that I found this site and such great people to talk to!!

He's used his box for everything the past 2 days so keep your fingers crossed. Thanks again for everything. I'm going to do some searches for past posts about the other stuff you were talking about.

Thanks so much for everything!!

here are some pics of Clyde!

Moesha
04-18-2009, 12:04 AM
I love gray kitties! He looks a lot like my Morgan, except he isn't as large.

ETA: I thought I mentioned it in my original post, but I don't see it now. Have you tried using Cat Attract litter? That's been another frequent suggestion that some have found to help this situation.

catnapper
04-18-2009, 07:41 AM
YES, Meosha is right on both posts.

I can't stress enough how WONDERFUL Cat Attract litter is! I buy a bag every month because of Allen (the brat who thinks pooping inside the litterbox is an option) and as soon as I put it in a box, the pooping outside stops. I don't know whats in it, but it works. Yes, it is more expensive.... but who's to complain when you save time of cleaning and money on cleaning supplies?

emo
06-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Well here we go again. Just when I thought that I had the chair cleaned up he started peeing on it again. I caught him one time and got him with the spray bottle of water but he went again on it today. I need help on keeping him away from it. Has anyone had success with the sprays to keep them away from things? His problem is behavioral according to the vet. I'm his 3rd owner and I don't want to give up on him. I just need advice before my bf finds out about his chair...he will be really mad. Also, Clyde has not be pooping in the box lately either. Nothing has really changed lately either. I'm so frustrated. I need the Cat Whisperer or something. I've taken him to the vet so much and i've spent a lot of money diagnosing his IBD and putting him on prescription food. I've gotten the loose stools take care of. I have 2 litter boxes with cat attract litter and I scoop them everyday. HELP!!!

Freedom
06-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I can't offer any ideas, only sympathy.

Couple weeks back, I did a renovation here which involved moving the litter boxes down cellar. Two cats started using an upholstered chair or the sofa. I phoned upholstery cleaners, who advised me there is no way they can remove the stink of cat urine. I then tried re-upholsterers, but they couldn't fix a La Z Boy recliner seat base. So I had to throw out the chair. :( The sofa had a slip cover on it which protected the cushions, and I ran out and bought a vynil backed mattress pad to put under the slip cover.

Once the reno was done, I put one litterbox back where all 8 used to be (left all the others down cellar) and now everyone is happy. :rolleyes:

You mentioned that you are moving, and I wondered is this has upset Clyde at all, making things worse?

He is a wonderful gray boy, love the photos!

Cover the seat base with plastic to protect it from additional damage, beyohnd that I have no helpful tips.

Medusa
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Aw Clyde is a beautiful boy! He looks somewhat like my gray kitty Yodie and she happens to be a pee cat, too, but as I mentioned to you in a PM, Clomicalm works wonders. I do understand why you're hesitant to try it, though, if Clyde has stomach issues. Good luck w/this. I know how frustrating it can be but don't give up. It'll turn around. Clyde is counting on you. :love:

emo
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
I can't offer any ideas, only sympathy.

Couple weeks back, I did a renovation here which involved moving the litter boxes down cellar. Two cats started using an upholstered chair or the sofa. I phoned upholstery cleaners, who advised me there is no way they can remove the stink of cat urine. I then tried re-upholsterers, but they couldn't fix a La Z Boy recliner seat base. So I had to throw out the chair. :( The sofa had a slip cover on it which protected the cushions, and I ran out and bought a vynil backed mattress pad to put under the slip cover.

Once the reno was done, I put one litterbox back where all 8 used to be (left all the others down cellar) and now everyone is happy. :rolleyes:

You mentioned that you are moving, and I wondered is this has upset Clyde at all, making things worse?

He is a wonderful gray boy, love the photos!

Cover the seat base with plastic to protect it from additional damage, beyohnd that I have no helpful tips.

Hi there,
I already moved back in Feb...it was really rough until mid April and then he was doing better and using his box for everything. I just don't get what's going on to get him so upset and peeing again. I adopted him in Aug 2008 and moved in Feb 2009. Sometimes I wish I didn't move because it was easier to deal with him having wood floors and leather furniture. It wouldn't be so bad if my bf didn't remind me all the time that Clyde poops everywhere. That just totally stresses me out more. It sucks because I've been so emotional about the whole thing today. I just want him to be a good boy and use his box. When I got home today he pooped on his blanket that he naps on the couch with. Why would you poop where you sleep?

I just got an e-mail from a behaviorist that told me to try chamomilele tea to relax him. Sometimes I think he's just broken because he doesn't even play with toys that other cats like. He's going to be 9 in October so it's not like he's that old. The only toy he likes is the cat nip pillows from Petsmart in the bins with the cotton fabric.

Catty1
06-22-2009, 09:35 PM
HAVE YOU TRIED MEDICATION FROM THE VET?????

If NOTHING else is working...come on, girl!

emo
06-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Not yet I want to try to fix him without meds first because of his IBD and that is a side effect of the meds according to my vet. That's why I'm talking to a behaviorist at this point. But thanks for the advice. Have you had good luck with meds?

Medusa
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=emo;2162281 Sometimes I think he's just broken because he doesn't even play with toys that other cats like. He's going to be 9 in October so it's not like he's that old. The only toy he likes is the cat nip pillows from Petsmart in the bins with the cotton fabric.[/QUOTE]

Some cats just don't play much. My Specs is one of them. I should've named him Fraidy because he's afraid of everything and yet he picks on Boo. Go figure. If you're that upset about Clyde's peeing, maybe you should try meds instead. KIDDING! I thought of it myself at one time when my own were misbehaving, though. ;)

emo
06-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Some cats just don't play much. My Specs is one of them. I should've named him Fraidy because he's afraid of everything and yet he picks on Boo. Go figure. If you're that upset about Clyde's peeing, maybe you should try meds instead. KIDDING! I thought of it myself at one time when my own were misbehaving, though. ;)

Well the frozen margarita I had earlier seemed to help a little bit! I keep trying to remember if I'm calm then he will be too! Thanks for everything...you've been a big help!

krazyaboutkatz
06-23-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems with your cats.:( If your cat Clyde has IBD he'll most likely need to start taking prednisolone. My cat Starr has this and without it he'll have severe diarrhea and he'll just explode any where. I tried going to a holistic vet and even weaning him off of the pred but it just didn't work. He's now on 2.5mg every day but he'll still have a few accidents from time to time. His stools are usually firm now too so it's so much easier to clean this up if he does have an accident. He also takes 1/4 of a generic prozac pill every day and this helps to keep him calm because stress can also effect his IBD.

I know that you've tried several products on your chair aleady but have you tried Zero Odor? I bought some a few weeks ago and it works great. I bought it at Bed,Bath and Beyond. Starr had peed on one my bathroom rugs and even after it was washed it still smelled funny. I spayed Zero Odor on it and let it dry and now it smells great. I also used it on one of my cat beds because one of my cats threw up on it and it smelled like cat food. I hope that you'll be able to find something that works for you. Good luck.:)

emo
06-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I've been lucky that I've been able to control his IBD with diet. He's on prescription food; Royal Canin Green Peas and Duck. He free feeds on dry food and gets 1/4 can in am and 1/4 can in pm of wet food. He's been doing so good on it and has normal poop now. I do agree that is much easier to clean up when he does have an accident! I'm so glad that I've been able to control it with diet instead of medicine.

Last night I stayed downstairs with him watching tv but I kept the door closed that goes upstairs so I wouldn't have to keep running up to check on him. It kept him out of trouble! This morning he mainly stayed downstairs but went into the kitchen to look out the window for awhile before I put him away for the day. Seriously...he has a pretty good set up. He has the run of the whole downstairs: family room, laundry room, and the bathroom (more like his room w/a cat tree by the window, food, water, litter box). The other litter box is in the hall between the family room and the laundry room. He's got blankets and toys plus it's much cooler down there than the rest of the house.

Medusa
06-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Sounds like a pretty good setup to me, his own apartment! When I tell people that my cats sleep in the basement, I usually get "the look", as though I'm a cruel cat mom. But they have plenty of room, their toys are there, their litter boxes, their food and water dishes, their cat towers and beds. Believe me, they have it good. During the day, they have the enclosed patio to watch the birds, etc. and water fountains and food dishes, too. Only their litter boxes are away from the living quarters. It sounds as though you're on the ball w/your Clyde.

emo
06-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Well I try to be a good cat mom! He even has 2 windows to choose from down there. One to the front yard and one to the backyard! That's why it makes me mad that he'll go poop on the blanket on the couch or 5 feet from the litter box. I mean come on...I thought cats were supposed to be clean! One time I found a turd in his food bowl....who does that? My vet told me...Clyde does!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support...I really appreciate having people to talk to about this and being able to vent a little too! I'm so glad that I found this site!!