PDA

View Full Version : Refridgerator colors

catnapper
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Our 'fridge died today :( We obviously can't live without one, so we're out looking.

Question: Which color to get? We have a super small kitchen 9' x 13'. We currently have white, but the dishwasher is blackand the stove white with a large black section. Hubby thinks black, because thats what most people are going for these days. I think white because of how bright it is. Stainless steel is a bit more expensive but we'll consider it if it'll make our home worth more when we go to sell it in a few years.

Also.... we can only get it at Best Buy because of already having credit there. We can't get credit elsewhere because of hubby being out of work and most bills being late these days :o Things will get better in a few weeks,so we know we can rob Pete to pay Paul, with the credit thing. ANYHOW, any ideas how to find someplace else with a lower price than Best Buy to get them to give us a better price?

Moesha
04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Since I clean houses for a living, I think mostly in those terms. I hate to clean black and stainless appliances. They both show fingerprints and you have to be careful when cleaning that you don't see streaks. I'd say white would look good with the other appliances you already have and also help with the smallness of the room. If you are planning on selling the house soon, I think the bisque color may turn off potential buyers because it doesn't match and that may cost you more in the long run. Just the thoughts off the top of my head. Others may have better ideas for you.

Grace
04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I said white - because I read Moesha's post and she knows cleaning!!

We have white, but all our appliances are white. I don't like stainless 'cause magnets don't stick, and I would have to get rid of all the neat stuff on my fridge.:) My son has black. They like it, and the front is "rough" so prints don't show. But the front of my white one is the same.

Bet that really helps!!

Husky_mom
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
despite black and steel looking pretty... I wouldn´t want to clean it 1000 times a day just because prints or streaks...

I have a cream one... in my current house most decor is green... so green could be an option... but white and cream IMO are more versatile and combine with everything...

aTailOf2Kitties
04-15-2009, 07:35 PM
whatever is the cheapest. Remember a can of spray paint is only a few bucks if you decide you don't like the color anymore;)

honestly, I just don't see the appeal of black appliances.

caseysmom
04-15-2009, 07:37 PM
It may be pretty inexpensive to fix, at lease keep it around for a garage refrigerator if you don't want to pay to fix it now. My brother was an appliance repairman, he kept all my old appliances going for me, there were times when I would call him and tell him my hubby would be calling him to fix something and I want it to just die.

My garage refrigerator just gave out and I've had the house refrigerator for 9 years so I am sort of looking also.

I hate side by sides's I want a freezer at the bottom and I have all white appliances so I am going with white, as far as raising the value of your house, usually a refrigerator is transportable so that shouldn't really be an issue.

joycenalex
04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
i say white...reasons being a small kitchen and a black fridge will take a huge chunk visually..(and i have a biscuit appliances in a green kitchen).

prechrswife
04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I voted black because that is what is in our kitchen, which is also pretty small, but our other appliances are the exact same color scheme as yours (black dishwasher, black/white stove). The fingerprints are a down side, though.

Marigold2
04-15-2009, 09:34 PM
What no avacado or butternut yellow? :p I think the stainless is the new trend. However I would go with what you like, you will be looking at it for a long time. I bought my fridge when we got the new house, it was marked down because of a small dent on the side which you can't see but it is too small and I have disliked it for 11 years. :mad: Since our kids were almost all grown and out of the house we thought we didn't need that big of a fridge, however we eat tons of produce and so it's always cramped.

Seravieve
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
We have whirlpool gold series appliances.. all 4 are stainless and black. I love them. They're actually stainless, unlike Frigidaire for example which aren't really stainless. If a 'stainless' fridge is magnetic, its not real stainless steel.

I think white appliances look dated, and tend to look dirtier than black ones. If you plan on moving soon, and plan on leaving the fridge behind, I'd try to match the other appliances. It looks better when they do all match. Also, with a smaller kitchen, black appliances might be better because they wont look so big and overbearing compared to everything else.

kuhio98
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
White. Definitely white.

BTW ~ In our house we say, stainless steel is the avocado green of tomorrow! :p None of us can stand this trend.

IRescue452
04-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Harvest Gold!!!!!!

Ps: I'd give my hypothetical left [place body part here] for an avocado green kitchen set. Stainless steel should have been the trend back when people thought we'd be flying to work in hovercrafts by the year 2000.

KYS
04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
I voted Black because your appliance already have a lot of black.
I have black and I would love to have stainless, but I can not
afford to change all my appliances to stainless to match.
Stainless does show up fingermarks but it sure looks good in a kitchen.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I'd say WHITE!! It is easiest to clean, and it also enlarges and brightens up your kitchen :)

beeniesmom
04-16-2009, 09:13 AM
I voted white because it's easier to clean and since you have a small kitchen something bright is better.

pomtzu
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
I like stainless or brushed aluminum. It's neutral, and if you decide to replace other appliances in the future, you aren't as limited in matching colors.
I personally am not a fan of white, even tho it is regaining popularity. My kitchen is bisque and black (black glass door on range and black microwave).

Over the years I had coppertone (I liked that era), and then avacado (don't want to go back there!) :eek:

catnapper
04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Well..... we got a white one today! It was a clearance floor model. Its a Maytag, so I know we'll have it a long time. I do need to call the factory and order a handle though -- its gone missing! :eek:

To tell the truth, I have always hated the steel look. It seems very cold and impersonal to me. I also am not a an of black. I did like the bisque, I could see it with antiqued white cabinets like my bathroom has ivory tub and antiqued cabinets.

I have 18 months to pay of the fridge. Clearance pricing AND free financing? SWEET!

Seravieve
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
At least you found a deal on a clearance model! That's always a nice bonus.

I don't think my kitchen looks cold with stainless appliances.. Maybe with white walls, it'd look hospital like.. It all depends on the decor really.

Scooter's Mom
04-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Well..... we got a white one today! It was a clearance floor model. Its a Maytag, so I know we'll have it a long time. I do need to call the factory and order a handle though -- its gone missing! :eek:

To tell the truth, I have always hated the steel look. It seems very cold and impersonal to me. I also am not a an of black. I did like the bisque, I could see it with antiqued white cabinets like my bathroom has ivory tub and antiqued cabinets.

I have 18 months to pay of the fridge. Clearance pricing AND free financing? SWEET!

Good luck with it.
My maytag is just over 4 years old and the freezer has stopped working twice. They've got to come out on Saturday and repair it again. :(

I do love my refrigerator. I just wish new appliances worked the way they should, as long as they should.