PDA

View Full Version : GOT A JOB INTERVIEW!!! (Inn The Doghouse) *Update #19/#20*

CountryWolf07
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Everyone.. I need your prayers & good thoughts - This is my FIRST interview I have gotten in a long time. Granted, it's not my dream job or related to my degree, but it doesn't matter at this point of my life - I am still searching what I'm meant to do. :) Anyways, I got a call this morning about a job interview at a place called "Inn the Doghouse" - It is a pet resort in Lakewood, OH - http://www.innthedoghouse.com/ is the website: so wish me luck and that I get this job position - They are looking for people who are dog-friendly and owners who have had experience in raising dogs, etc. and I feel I am right for this position due to my experience as a dog owner.

FINGERS crossed, guys! ;)

3Catcondo
04-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Good Luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!:)

pomtzu
04-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Good luck! You've got to start somewhere.
Maybe you could advertise there and drum up some business doing pet photos.:D

GILL
04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
GOOD LUCK, hope it works out.

Laura's Babies
04-15-2009, 04:20 PM
This could be your dream job. I love the name of it. Good wish vibes coming your way..

Casper
04-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Best of luck!
I hope it all works out...it sounds like a nice place to work. Plus, you can't go wrong with hanging out with a bunch of pups all day, right? ;)

Karen
04-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Sounds good, good luck!

*LabLoverKEB*
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Took a looksie at the website, it looks like a GREAT place for dogs and cats! Heck, I would send my dogs there!;)
GOOD LUCK RACHEL! :):)

carole
04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
all fingers and paws crossed here for ya, good luck.:)

Marigold2
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Best of luck to you. I didn't know they had this place in LK. Looks great.

Flatcoatluver
04-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Good Luck! I have worked at a dog kennel for about 5 years. I have learned so much about dogs.... and there owners. ;)

CountryWolf07
04-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Thought I'd update:

It went well, but however, I have a feeling I won't get it, due to her being too concerned and worried about my hearing impairment, and not being able to hear exactly of what is going in in the dogcare center and she is looking for someone who is more of a experienced animal caretaker.

Oh well, maybe I will be surprised.

But what else is new - my hearing impairment is going to be a obstacle to looking for a job. :rolleyes:

K9karen
04-16-2009, 09:32 PM
But what else is new - my hearing impairment is going to be a obstacle to looking for a job. :rolleyes:

Uh..that's discrimination, isn't it?

Grace
04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Uh..that's discrimination, isn't it?

Yeah - wouldn't that fit under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

blue
04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I think it would depend on the job description.

Edwina's Secretary
04-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah - wouldn't that fit under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

If being able to hear (or see or lift, etc) is a bona fide occupational qualification - that is necessary to perform the job - the employer needs to look at whether reasonable accomodation can be made to allow the person to perform the job. "Reasonable" is determined by how many people there are in the job category, the cost of the accomodation and the funds available to the company.

It is alot more complicated than it sounds to make a claim under ADA.

Your best bet is to be prepared in advance to describe to the prospective employer how the disability could be accomodated. I was working for a school bus company and we had some hearing impaired mechanics. Vibrating beepers and flashing lights took care of warning them of moving vehicles and other hazards.

Also, ADA only applies to employers with 15 or more employees.

jennielynn1970
04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Keeping you in my thoughts for that job to work out in your favor!!!

lvpets2002
04-17-2009, 10:08 AM
:love: Hands & Paws Crossed here.. Best of Luck.. Just remember Where One Door Closes = There is Always Another Door that Opens..;)

CountryWolf07
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Yup.. it is a lot more complicated. I'm not going to go against it. What just bothered me was that she asked me a lot of questions due to my hearing if I could hear the doorbell, if I could hear the dogs barking, small and big, dogs whining... phone going off.. and this was all right after I told her about my choice to have a cochlear implant to improve my life, etc. which was just, I don't want to get into it. I was in not a great mood yesterday, because I really did think I was ABLE to do the job, but I guess in her eyes, I may not be. She was more concerned over my hearing if I could hear enough, which I don't understand, because LIKE what you stated, hearing impaired have worked in factories, etc. That's a lot more than just being able to work at a dogcare center.

Sorry.. I'm just miffed, I suppose.

If being able to hear (or see or lift, etc) is a bona fide occupational qualification - that is necessary to perform the job - the employer needs to look at whether reasonable accomodation can be made to allow the person to perform the job. "Reasonable" is determined by how many people there are in the job category, the cost of the accomodation and the funds available to the company.

It is alot more complicated than it sounds to make a claim under ADA.

Your best bet is to be prepared in advance to describe to the prospective employer how the disability could be accomodated. I was working for a school bus company and we had some hearing impaired mechanics. Vibrating beepers and flashing lights took care of warning them of moving vehicles and other hazards.

Also, ADA only applies to employers with 15 or more employees.

CountryWolf07
04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
:love: Hands & Paws Crossed here.. Best of Luck.. Just remember Where One Door Closes = There is Always Another Door that Opens..;)

Agreed. That's what I tell myself - and I also like to say, karma is involved. What comes around, comes around. It's just a shame how some people cannot look past the hearing impairment & SEE so much more in that person (like me).. Apparently.

lvpets2002
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
:) I so agree.. I as the others think since this lady totaly focused on your Hearing was more than likly being very Discriminating.. That is not right.. She could of at least say lets try you for the job for 90 days & if it did not work out then fine.. I would say this person just passed up a very good employee..;)
Agreed. That's what I tell myself - and I also like to say, karma is involved. What comes around, comes around. It's just a shame how some people cannot look past the hearing impairment & SEE so much more in that person (like me).. Apparently.

Edwina's Secretary
04-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Yup.. it is a lot more complicated. I'm not going to go against it.

But you should "go against it" -- not get a lawyer but write her an email or a letter. Tell her how you accomodate for you hearing impairment. And how in other sense you make up for the hearing. These mechanics would "hear" things in the engine through their hands that other mechanics missed.

Not an angry letter or a threatening letter - but an honest explanation how you would be the best person for the job.

You might open her eyes....(pun intended...)

Medusa
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
But you should "go against it" -- not get a lawyer but write her an email or a letter. Tell her how you accomodate for you hearing impairment. And how in other sense you make up for the hearing. These mechanics would "hear" things in the engine through their hands that other mechanics missed.

Not an angry letter or a threatening letter - but an honest explanation how you would be the best person for the job.

You might open her eyes....(pun intended...)

I think this is a good idea, Rachel. Plus it would show her how serious you are and how much you want the job. If hearing impaired people can drive, it's reasonable to assume that you could do this job, without my knowing all the particulars, of course. Name it and claim it! Wishing you the best....:)

CountryWolf07
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
E-mailed her the other day, so... nothing.

Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Sometimes, it just sucks being hearing impaired.

Medusa
04-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, we'll just have to hold the thought that a better job is waiting for you. Keep the faythe. :love:

Laura's Babies
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Their loss will be someone elses gain!

Alysser
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
((hugs)) I really hope you get hired. That is a really stupid excuse for not hiring someone. I really think you would due the job just fine, she just lost a really good employee over nothing really.

I'm sorry though, I really hope you find a job soon.

wolf_Q
04-19-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job, Rachel. I'm sure you would have been great at it too. You are every bit as capable as anyone else, even more than the average person because of your experience with dogs. I'm sure something else (better) will come along for you.

CountryWolf07
04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone... that means a lot to me. :)

I am still bummed over it.. and I seem not to want to talk about it, because I just know it won't happen. Unless, I'll be surprised... but who knows?

It's one of those things that brings me down about being hearing impaired.. just how people can be so narrow-minded.

Cinder & Smoke
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
What just bothered me was that she asked me a lot of questions due to my hearing -
if I could hear the doorbell, if I could hear the dogs barking,
small and big, dogs whining... phone going off..
and this was all right after I told her about my choice to have a cochlear implant
to improve my life, etc.

She was more concerned over my hearing if I could hear enough ...

A couple ideas for the next time:

* Carry a write-up explaining just what a cochlear implant actually is and how it works
* Example: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/coch.asp

* Work out a series of 'show & tell' type "tests" that you can do to demonstrate
your capabilities to hear and recognize real-world sounds ...
** Respond to & talk on a telephone
** Respond to a doorbell or a knock on a door
** Respond to a smoke detector or fire alarm
** anything that you're comfortable doing

Don't make excuses - just show folks that you're 'normal' and can fully function
in the environment without special accommodations.

And don't be timid about showing folks your College DEGREE - earned at
a 'regular' college without a lot of special arrangements or aids.

Just show 'em You can DO IT!

:D

Edwina's Secretary
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
E-mailed her the other day, so... nothing.

Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Sometimes, it just sucks being hearing impaired.

If she hasn't told you a definitive "no" I still think it might be worth one more email.

Sometimes people need an extra nudge in the right direction.