PDA

View Full Version : collar dilemma

maya
09-25-2002, 06:47 AM
I have a dilemma which I would like to share and get your opinions about:

As I told you, I am taking care of a big group of street cats. Most of them are not affectionate and do not pet.
In order to neuter them and take them to the vet when necessary, I need to use a special cage which allows me to catch the cat without touching it (they get a yami treat in the cage).
Anyway, my dilemma is whether to put collar on those cats or not. I can only do it while their under anesthesia at the vet’s. The problem is that a friend of mine told me that her cat rubbed the collar and harmed his neck with infection. I buy elastic collars ( It cannot suffocate) and add small tag with my detailed to prevent those street cats from being collected by the municipal vet, or being abused by kids. Those are the advantages, but if they will suffer from any wound because of the collar I wont be able to tell because they are not friendly.
What do you think?
P.S. – some of them which got collars, have lost it quit fast, and some wear it with pride.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sasvermont
09-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Around my area, when the local vet spays or neuters a FERAL cat, they clip off the tip of the ear....and at the SPCA they tatoo the inside of the ear with a dark green marker. Of course this is perfomed while they are out getting their operation.

Uabassoon
09-25-2002, 01:37 PM
I don't know that putting collars on ferals is such a good idea. One of the strays that I feed had a collar on him and I recently decided I should take it off since it had no purpose. There was no ID on it or anything. Well, I'm not really sure how long he had been wearing that collar but it must have been years because the collar was stuck to him and when I tried taking it off I realized that it hurt him. It took a few days to get it all off I would cut small pieces off at a time and then we would rub a little bit off, but he had sores all on his neck so I put some Bactine on it and it seems to be healing up and he seems happier to have it off. So I think if you aren't going to be able to catch these cats again you may not want to put them on.

toughCookie
09-25-2002, 08:59 PM
I would think collar can be dangerous to an outside, feral cat!

Karen
09-25-2002, 09:22 PM
If it is a stretchy collar that will not hurt them as they grow, maybe it's an okay idea - at least it gives people the impression that this cat belongs to someone, or that someone cares about it, and they might be less likely to harm a cat that "belongs" to someone.

So much to worry about with those street babies - you are a special person indeed to care for them. You are their angel! :)

Felicia's Mom
09-25-2002, 09:25 PM
I agree with the others. A feral is not used to wearing a collar and might keep scratching until it came off. I like the tatoos on the ears better. Felicia will not wear a collar and she was not a feral cat.