PDA

View Full Version : I found a way to save on my cable tv...

moosmom
04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I was paying over $133/month for basic cable. As you know I'm trying to cut corners anywhere I can. My best friend just called me and said she got a great deal with Comcast. So I thought I'd give it a try.

I told him I wanted to cancel because I was sick of paying that much for cable. Guess what???? He saved me over $76/month!!!! I won't have as many channels as I have before, as well as on demand. But I don't use half the channels anyway, and the ones they are offering me including my internet is a total of $62.46/month. That's alot of dough to save!!

That has made me one happy camper.

Sirrahsim
04-14-2009, 03:10 PM
yes there are definitely some good deals out there. That much for basic cable is outrageous!! We have Time Warner and get Road Runner Cable Internet, a bazillion channels including free HD/DVR, and unlimited local and long distance digital phone for $103/month.

I don't know how I'd live without my DVR:D I NEVER remember to watch my shows when they are on but with the DVR I can schedule it to record the whole series and watch when I have the time.

davidpizzica
04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
WOW, Donna! That's quite a savings. I have Comcast and by having just basic and expanded cable, mine is about $58 a month. I'm thinking of going over to Direct tv or one of those companies. BTW, I can only watch one channel at a time, no need for a lot of channels!

Puckstop31
04-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Holy crap!!! $133 a MONTH. Jeebus. LOL

Good for you. Comcast is the devil. But sadly, the only good and reliable internet short of a $600/month T-1 around here. We drop like $50 a month on internet from Comcast, $25 a month on phone (VONAGE RULES...THOUSANDS of minutes a month to Canada...) and like $60 on Direct TV. Direct TV is awesome, we love it. Having a DVR is also wonderful. David, you CAN watch more than one at a time that way. LOL Plus being able to pause/FF TV is great.

Good for you moosmom! Way to stick it to da man.

smokey the elder
04-15-2009, 07:49 AM
DVR, whoever provides it, rules! I've gotten to where I rarely watch anything "live" anymore (except sporting events). Record it and "dit" through the commercials.

Laura's Babies
04-15-2009, 08:19 AM
WOW! You GO girl!! That is a lot to save! I am sure they are having people cut back on their packages right and left with the hard times a lot are going through now.

I only have basic cable, about $14 a month. I just can't see paying for anymore than that with how I work and nobody here to watch it. I have DSL light through my phone company who has the fiber optic now but the basic on that is about $50 a month and not as many channels as cable..

One thing we learned through Gustav, when the cable goes out so does your TV, internet, and phones. With the fiber optic, the fiber optic has a battery backup in the box outside and you can make a few phone calls, once you hook up a generator, you have phone and TV! With Cable, you don't until their lines are all repaired. Our local cable company lost a lot of customers after Gustav, they all switched to fiber optic. Also, our cable company takes about a week to 10 days to get around to fixing something when you have a problem and call it in, the phone company only takes a day or two.

ChrisH
04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Well done, Donna! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumb.gif

GILL
04-15-2009, 04:22 PM
WAY TOO GO, Donna