PDA

View Full Version : Meet Dante Britain's first vegetarian cat

ChrisH
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/snips/vegcat1.jpg

Click link for full story
Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1169637/Meet-Dante-Britains-vegetarian-cat-refuses-eat-meat-fish.html)

catmandu
04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Now thats something that you certainly do not see everyday and thats a Cat delving into a bowl of vegetables , and savoring it.
Perhaps I should try this with the Found Cats???
:D:D:D:D

lvpets2002
04-13-2009, 12:05 PM
:love: WoW such a Cutie Pie.. That is prob what this baby was eating out of garbage bins in the open world.. So he got used to it.. What a diff story of a special kitty..

Randi
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
That's one healthy kitty, and he looks gorgeous! He probably was used to leftover veggies from his streetlife. Fister actually likes veggies too, cooked green beans and corn are some. :)

happylabs
04-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Unusual for a cat. He looks just like my little baby Tink too.

Laura's Babies
04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
What a story! Never heard one like that before.. SMART cat!

Don Juan's mom
04-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh, good lord. I saw a case on "Animal Precinct" on Animal Planet of a woman with several cats who was feeding them a vegetarian diet. They were all malnourished, and some had vision problems (one completely blind) due to the lack of nutrients available only in meat. :( Zerlina loves her kitty grass, but she's definitely a carnivore.

Hey, if you want your pet to be a vegetarian, get a rabbit or a guinea pig!

Liz

catmandu
04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
That is what I have always been led to believe as well Don Juans Mom that Our Cats are essentially carniverous and that a strictly vegetraian diet was harmful :confused::confused:
But Dante refuses meat and certainly appears healthy.
And just now The Found Cats unanimously walked away from a salad.
Maybe Dante the Cat is one in a million
:love::love::love:

beckipage
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, as you can see from the pic he is a very healthy cat, and it is something he chooses, not something we force on him. We always put down meat for him so he does have the choice.

Becki

Don Juan's mom
04-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Hey, Becki, welcome to Pet Talk!

After I posted, I read the full story on the Daily Mail site. I'm glad to see that you do give Dante meat. Some of our "indoor" dry food formulas contain greens; perhaps that would help him transition to a more normal diet.

At least he eats something that's food. Zerlina ate most of the flowers my sister sent for my last birthday. :mad::rolleyes:

Liz

columbine
04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
He's a cutie, all right! I can't help but think that his farts must be pretty potent, though... Maybe you can find a treat with taurine in it that he'll enjoy - almost all of them have it these days.

Love, Columbine

catmandu
04-14-2009, 09:34 AM
THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING AS OUR CATS DO NEED TAURINE FOR THIER EYE SIGHT :):)
I TRY THE ODD VEGGIE BUT THEY ARE ONLY INTERESTED IF BUTTER AND CHEESE ARE INVOLVED.:D:D
DANTES SUCH A GOOD LOOKING TUXEDO,:love::love::love: AND QUITE THE HAPPY CAT!!!:love::love::love: