PDA

View Full Version : Give me a paw!!

slleipnir
09-24-2002, 06:20 PM
Zeke, I think is too stupid to give me a paw. I've been working with him for a while on in, and he just doesn't get it. Does anyone know an easy way to teach the dog this?? Jo learned so fast..I don't see why he doesn't get it..

Cookiebaker
09-24-2002, 07:35 PM
I can fully sympathize. I have been working on "speak" with Malone and he just WONT get it! I have tried all the tricks that I know of, and he just sits and waits patiently. Maybe I have to wait until he's barking, to give him the command?? I just dunno...:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

slleipnir
09-25-2002, 06:25 AM
I thought Jo to "speak" by showing her the treat and saying Josie Speak! then I 'barked' until she barked with me and I gave her the treat for it.

Cookiebaker
09-25-2002, 06:29 AM
:D Yup, been there done that...and I sure am VERY glad that NOBODY was watching!!! :rolleyes:

Albea
09-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Zeke is not stupid, he's just a puppy and he will learn when he's ready for it. Please give him time, he's had to get used to so many things when you took him home.

ParNone
09-25-2002, 11:22 AM
I think it helps to start out with tricks that the dog has more
of a propensity for. With Maddie, the speak command was
really easy, because she's very vocal. Murph, on the other
hand is a very quiet dog and I couldn't get him to do speak,
but I noticed he used his paws a lot in play, so we worked
on shake. This he excelled at.

I'd already taught him sit, so I'd first get him to sit, then lift
his paw and while shaking I'd say "Shake" and give him a
treat. He had it down so good after a few times, that the
next time I had a party at my house, he was going up to
each one of the guests and sitting in front of them, waving
his paw at them, until them gave him a potato chip.:D

Par....

lovemymaltese
09-25-2002, 12:09 PM
he will get it, tango learned with a can of vienna sausages, he will learn any trick for those. Maybe you should try it. :)

Kfamr
09-25-2002, 01:52 PM
I taught Simba "Give me paw" by tapping on his paw when it was on the ground and saying the command. It would be the natural reaction to lift the paw of pressure was on it... do you know what i mean?? And when he lifted it in the air i grabbed it and shook it. Since Zeke is still a puppy he'll think your playing [i know... ive been trying to teach Honey this] Good luck.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-25-2002, 02:06 PM
I got those little tiny training treats from Petsmart and if you know Schnauzers, they are quite independent and don't want to do a lot of trick sort of thing. When I started with Daisy and Perry I would hold a little treat (that way with little treats they don't gain weight) in one hand and shake their paw then give them the treat, after a little while they understood and in the meantime they have learned to shake, lay down, crawl and sit up. Just have patience, if you scold them, they don't respond to that. Good Luck, I'm sure you can do it. Hugs to Zeke.
Jackie

slleipnir
09-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone :] I know to be patient, and I never scold him if he doesn't do a trick on command, especially when he doesn't knwo it well. He already knows sit and down..he actually already knew sit when we got him, and he learned down rather quick...well, kinda, I still have to touch the floor, but he's getting there. I have a few new ideas to try thanks to you :D

Originally posted by kfamr
I taught Simba "Give me paw" by tapping on his paw when it was on the ground and saying the command. It would be the natural reaction to lift the paw of pressure was on it... do you know what i mean?? And when he lifted it in the air i grabbed it and shook it. Since Zeke is still a puppy he'll think your playing [i know... ive been trying to teach Honey this] Good luck.
Yeah, makes sense ;D thanks.