PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Obamas got their dog!

Kirsten
04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Obamas choose Portuguese water dog called 'Bo' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/5145384/Obamas-choose-Portuguese-water-dog-called-Bo.html)

As it seems, the Obamas have now found their First Dog, a six-month old Portuguese water dog puppy who was provided by Senator Ted Kennedy. This, however, is against the original promise to get a dog from the shelter.

Obviously the kids name him Bo. He looks cute. :) I wish him a happy life in the White House with his new family! Hope he will make the girls happy!

Kirsten

k9krazee
04-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm glad to see that they're making a donation though.

Bo, you're one lucky boy!

Kirsten
04-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, I was also happy to read about the donation...

I guess these water dogs are not so easy to find? Obviously it's the only breed to which Malia is not allergic.

I'm glad that Bo has now found a new family and a good home, after things did not work in his first home.

Kirsten

*LabLoverKEB*
04-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Awwww! 'Bo' is quite the cutie!

Daisy and Delilah
04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Can this dog get any cuter? I hope they join our board so we can get to know all of them better.:D

Twisterdog
04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
He is very cute indeed!

I was of the understanding that even though the dog was a gift from Senator Kennedy, it was indeed a rescued dog, originally named Charlie.

Grace
04-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I think he's adorable. I read he is a "second chance" dog, as he was returned from a previous home. Whatever - he's going into a loving family.

Karen
04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I hope everything works out for Bo and the family. I think it's good he's an "older" puppy, so has some manners under his belt, but the girls will still have a puppy to raise and learn from - and he'll have girls to play with, to use up some of his energy!

blue
04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Hope the breeder of the Obama dog fairs better then the breeder Biden got his pup from. Link (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Bidens-Puppy-Breeder-Never-never-never-again.html?yhp=1).

Its to bad the Obama's didnt live up to their promise and get a shelter dog or a rescue, the donation seems like an empty gesture after the "gift" from the Kennedys. Hopefully its a large donation.

RICHARD
04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Its to bad the Obama's didnt live up to their promise and get a shelter dog or a rescue, the donation seems like an empty gesture after the "gift" from the Kennedys. Hopefully its a large donation.

MY thought about this is them not wanting a dog who may mess up the Obama's house.

"We'll get a dog when we move into the rental, that way he won't mess/crap up our rugs!";)

Pam
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Can this dog get any cuter? I hope they join our board so we can get to know all of them better.:D

I think we'd have a better chance of having Bo's former owner join us! :p Can you imagine how they feel now? They gave up a dog (for whatever reasons) and he will now reside in the White House! :cool:

I am oh so glad that they didn't choose a Golden Doodle. I get so upset when I hear of any breed having a "poo" or "oodle" tacked on the end, particularly when the breeding was intentional. :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
04-13-2009, 12:08 PM
:love: Yes & this puppy came from a Breeder in Texas of the town name Boyd.. This town is about 1 1/2 hour east of me.. Yes the puppy was first adopted to a family in Washington DC & then Ted K. got the puppy & gave him to the girls.. Yes Bo is so cute.. I just love his cute white paws..

RICHARD
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I get so upset when I hear of any breed having a "poo" or "oodle" tacked on the end, particularly

I had a Lhasa who ended up with and OODLE of POO tacked in to her end.
IT was matted in her hair and all yucky!:confused::rolleyes:
:D

Pam
04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I had a Lhasa who ended up with and OODLE of POO tacked in to her end.
IT was matted in her hair and all yucky!:confused::rolleyes:
:D

I guess I left myself wide open for that one! :p .... but who would ever think you would venture to the "dog side." I'm tellin' Eddie!! :p

RICHARD
04-13-2009, 12:55 PM
but who would ever think you would venture to the "dog side." I'm tellin' Eddie!! :p

I had two dogs! A ShiTzu Terrier mix and a Lhasa.:eek:

I got tired of the terrier tracking dirt into the bed after his Midnight Treks!

I wonder that a PWD brings to the table!

------------

This is an obvious prediction.

Water Dog ownership will go up and you will hear about it later on?:eek:

lvpets2002
04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
:) Well do you still have your dogs??
I had two dogs! A ShiTzu Terrier mix and a Lhasa.:eek:

I got tired of the terrier tracking dirt into the bed after his Midnight Treks!

I wonder that a PWD brings to the table!

------------

This is an obvious prediction.

Water Dog ownership will go up and you will hear about it later on?:eek:

Edwina's Secretary
04-13-2009, 02:13 PM
:D:D:DHow funny!:D:D:D

The Boys can even find something nasty to say about the President getting a dog!

Wow...must be tough work being so negative!

The dog went to a home where there was an existing PWD...and the older dog became very unhappy.

So Bo had to go....the breeder...being responsible --- took it back and looked for a new home (so it would NOT end up in a rescue...) and the new home - thanks to Ted Kennedy...The White House.

A nice story...

pomtzu
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Cute for sure, but now everyone will be buying one.

And then the PWD Rescues will be full before long............. sigh.....

lvpets2002
04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
:o Sad = But True Point.. I thought the same thing this morning when it was all on the today show..

K9soul
04-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't believe it will have an excess of people out buying them. They are not a common breed and I don't foresee it having the same effect as a Hollywood movie where a billion kids see a type of dog doing miraculous things and then badgering mom and dad to get them one too. I am sure it may cause some increase in interest but hopefully not 'fill the shelters' type of interest.

Anyway I think this pup is cute and I enjoyed reading his story here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30188436/

RedHedd
04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
So are we going to celebrate with an In-Dog-Uration tomorrow? :D Little Bo-Bama is SO cute!

Twisterdog
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't believe it will have an excess of people out buying them. They are not a common breed and I don't foresee it having the same effect as a Hollywood movie where a billion kids see a type of dog doing miraculous things and then badgering mom and dad to get them one too. I am sure it may cause some increase in interest but hopefully not 'fill the shelters' type of interest.

Anyway I think this pup is cute and I enjoyed reading his story here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30188436/

I agree. I think the Marley movie is going to have a FAR greater impact than the Obama's dog. Actually, I have already boarded the a new yellow lab puppy named Marley. It's starting already.

finn's mom
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Is Bo in the video? Maybe I'm missing something...but the reporter said that Bo would be making his debut on Tuesday. Either way, though, the dogs in the video are cute. :)

RICHARD
04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
:) Well do you still have your dogs??

No, :(

But they were wonderful dogs and very smart!:D

k9krazee
04-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I got this in an email today from the Michigan Agility List.

It's an article entitled The Obama Dog: The Breeder tells the Tale (http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/04/12/the-obama-puppy-the-breeder-tells-the-tale/). Good read. :)

CountryWolf07
04-14-2009, 11:07 AM
To be honest, I don't care what kind of dog the Obama family has. Maybe it's just me who feels this way. I AM glad the girls have their dog, but, does it REALLY have to be announced all over the world? Don't bash me if you disagree with me, it is just how I feel.

Pam
04-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Gotta agree with you on this Ellie. It has happened before. Apparently sales of dalmatians skyrocketed after the movie 101 Dalmatians came out. That is the mentality of some folks.....be like "fill in the blank" and get a dog like they have. Once again I am so thankful that they didn't choose a labradoodle. The backyard breeders would have a heyday keeping up with the demand. :rolleyes: :mad:

RedHedd
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Aw come on people! Lighten up! The girls are getting their puppy that their daddy promised them if he won the election. Senator Ted Kennedy gifted them with Bo. Can't we just be happy for them without making this some sort of political, rescue, puppy mill bashing statement?

pomtzu
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Aw come on people! Lighten up! The girls are getting their puppy that their daddy promised them if he won the election. Senator Ted Kennedy gifted them with Bo. Can't we just be happy for them without making this some sort of political, rescue, puppy mill bashing statement?

I for one am thrilled to death that the girls got their puppy. I wish I had been as lucky when I was a kid, but had to wait till I was grown and own my own to have one. All kids should have a pet of some kind.

And as far a people buying a PWD that wouldn't have ever given one a thought before this - well it's gonna' happen!!! Like Pam said - "it's just the mentality of some folks". Just look at the previous runs on dalmatians and chis for example. Maybe it won't be quite so prevalent, but it will happen.

And as far as what CountryWolf said - who cares and does it have to be announced to the world. It doesn't have to be, but with the First Family living under a microscope as they do, everything they say or do is newsworthy, whether they, or we, like it or not. We'd all better get used to it, since this 4 year term is still in it's infancy! We all have a long way to go!!!

CountryWolf07
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Exactly! :) Either way, the dog was blessed to have a life at home instead of being in a rescue or shelter.

Taz_Zoee
04-14-2009, 12:22 PM
To be honest, I don't care what kind of dog the Obama family has. Maybe it's just me who feels this way. I AM glad the girls have their dog, but, does it REALLY have to be announced all over the world? Don't bash me if you disagree with me, it is just how I feel.

Actually, I agree with you. :) But just like anyone that lives in the "spotlight" anything they do is plastered everywhere. I would NOT want to be famous, thank you.

Grace
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I got this in an email today from the Michigan Agility List.

It's an article entitled The Obama Dog: The Breeder tells the Tale (http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/04/12/the-obama-puppy-the-breeder-tells-the-tale/). Good read. :)

Very enjoyable article. I laughed when I read this -
“He’s in training right now. He’s going to be a little gentleman, believe me – until he sees that fountain. He’ll be splashing around and saying, ‘Where’s the fish? Where’s the fish?’” She laughed.

Kirsten
04-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, I also fear that the breed will become extremely popular now. I read today that even in Germany, many people now want a PWD. :rolleyes:

Little Bo and the first pics with his new family are all over the news here, just look at the website of our leading gossip newspaper: Bild (http://www.bild.de/BILD/ratgeber/haustier/obamas-first-dog/bo-portugiesischer-wasserhund.html)
Even if you can't read it, you can see from the pics how many articles there are about him!
Well, and obviously, he has also got his own page: http://obama-dog.com/

Luckily little Bo has no idea how the entire world is looking at him! ;)

Kirsten

Freckles
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Remember, no little Bo's. He is already neutered.

lizbud
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
BO is a very cute pup.:) I loved the picture of him running down the
side of the White House with Obama. I think he actually loves the pup
too.:)

carole
04-16-2009, 06:35 PM
He sure is one cutie patootie alright.:)

Bengalz
04-16-2009, 07:35 PM
The dog went to a home where there was an existing PWD...and the older dog became very unhappy.

So Bo had to go....the breeder...being responsible --- took it back and looked for a new home (so it would NOT end up in a rescue...) and the new home - thanks to Ted Kennedy...The White House.

A nice story...

I agree:) PWOs are awesome dogs and BO is adorable. Our neighbour has a PWO and she is amazing - very smart, spirited and a wonderful little friend. Good training, exercise and lots of love = superdog!! (This is true for all breeds;))

I'm happy for the Obamas - especially the girls - having a little fur buddy is always a good thing:love:

Karen
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I love this picture!

http://petoftheday.com/online/paul/bo_running.jpg

The high resolution version of this and a couple other photos are available on the Whitehouse blog (http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/09/04/12/Meet-Bo-the-First-Dog/) !

sparks19
04-20-2009, 12:07 AM
:O that's not high res? man my pics suck HAHAHAHA

I don't know too much about PWD. never met one in person. HOpe he works out great. He will really enjoy it there I'm sure

lizbud
04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I love this picture!

http://petoftheday.com/online/paul/bo_running.jpg

The high resolution version of this and a couple other photos are available on the Whitehouse blog (http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/09/04/12/Meet-Bo-the-First-Dog/) !

That is the photo I was talking about earlier.:) I love it too.

Kirsten
04-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I love that picture, too! Must be so heartwarming to see the two of them running the corridors of the White House! :)

Kirsten

pomtzu
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I really like that photo too. Rather humbling - just a man and a dog enjoying each other's company.....:love:

Janeway
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Bo is really cute and will quickly become a very important part of the First Family. Now, as to "Bo is not allowed in bed." Any bets for how long that lasts!?

Edwina's Secretary
04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Now, as to "Bo is not allowed in bed." Any bets for how long that lasts!?

When Edwina came to live with us I said she could NOT sleep in our bed (my allergies....)

Two weeks....:D;):D

Janeway
04-21-2009, 12:15 AM
A co-worker told me about when they got their new Jack Russell puppy, Rookie, the rule was she was not allowed in bed and had to sleep in the kitchen. That first night. 15 minutes!

pomtzu
04-21-2009, 07:17 AM
I don't think he'll get to sleep on their beds. Besides - his bedroom/sleeping area, is probably more elegant than many of our homes!!!!:eek::D