PDA

View Full Version : A sad Easter

davidpizzica
04-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Today is a joyous but sad Easter for our congregation at Epiphany Lutheran church. It's our last Easter as a congregation. The church grounds have a "for sale" sign, and most of us will be joining other churches. We'll still have services for another few weeks, that will be the end. I may join an ELCA church where my bowling league is based. Still it's sad because I've attended this church for almost all my life.

Karen
04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Sad, David. The end of an era. Are there things like stained glass, or other bits that will be available as souvenirs? Or will it all be sold?

davidpizzica
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Sad, David. The end of an era. Are there things like stained glass, or other bits that will be available as souvenirs? Or will it all be sold?

Karen, I believe everything will be sold as one piece, but I'll have the best souveniors, memories of being at this church for 60 years. I hope when it's sold that the buyer keeps the building as a church, and not become dentist or a bunch of doctors offices.

DJFyrewolf36
04-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Youre a LCMS congregation there right David?

davidpizzica
04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Youre a LCMS congregation there right David?

Yes, we are a LCMS congregation, but I've belonged to this ELCA bowling league for 25 years and I know most of their congregation and know the church pretty well and I would feel comfortable going to their church.

Daisy and Delilah
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm so glad you got to spend Easter there today, David. It has to be breaking your heart to see the "For Sale" sign on the property. I can imagine a few tears were shed there today.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Karen
04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Oh, David, sadly I have seen many churches sold over the years, and only two cases I can think of were they sold to another church. Our church a couple years ago, someone stated her goal for our church was simply to NOT be turned into condominiums. That's what is happening to the next church up the street from ours. We don't know yet what will happen to the church across the street and up a bit, but it was closed over a year ago, and its congregation merged with another church. There are former church buildings near us that have been made into a restaurant, office space, and more made into condos - one even into "luxury" condos. It's kinda sad.

moosmom
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Here's a picture of a somber moment on Easter at Davidp's church.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/davidp.jpg?t=1239633526

davidpizzica
04-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Here's a picture of a somber moment on Easter at Davidp's church.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/davidp.jpg?t=1239633526

Thanks, Donna.

davidpizzica
05-10-2009, 01:42 PM
We found out this morning that we have a contract signed so that another congregation will buy the church grounds. All we need from then is a letter of confirmation. I'm so happy that the property will remain church grounds. I'm not sure what denomination will take over, but at least people can still worship there.