PDA

View Full Version : A Cat related question?

I_love_cats
09-24-2002, 04:18 PM
I have a cat related question for you guys to answer. All of my cats are young 1 to 2 yrs old. None of my cats would lay on my lap and I cannot hold them for very long, only when I am standing up. Don't get me wrong, they are all friendly, they like lots of petting. My Joey he friendly towards me and he would follow me all over like a dog. Sabrina was foster care as a kitten, it is very strange for her not too lay on my lap. She was well socialize so I thought she would be more of a lap kittie. I was figured she wasn't treated well in her foster care and they had too many cats to look after. At what age would they be more loving and settle down. Do you think they will become lap kitties when they get older? My Toby doesn't sleep much at night, he start is meowing around 5:00 am and sometimes he start at 5:30 am, is there any reason for his meowing. Do you think they would sleep at night when they get older? I have three cats, i guess thats why they won't sleep. Please reply. Thanks!!

toughCookie
09-24-2002, 05:15 PM
sounds alot like my cats, I have five, ages 5 months to 21/2 years old. and one of them, Emma is like you described, she will let me hold her as long as I am walking or standing up. if I sit down she stays for a minute then wants down, but sill circle around me wanting to be petted. they all follow me around. 2 others will let me hold them for a few minutes,then they want to be let down. so it is normal, your cats are just being cats! sometimes as they get older they might settle down, Im not too sure since Ihave never had an older cat. and not sleeping or meowing at 5 AM is normal too! just be patient and pet them and give them treats, they love you or they wouldnt follow you around!

:) :) :)

jenluckenbach
09-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Some cats will not be lap cats. Period ! But love them for who they are.
And if you get to have peace until 5 a.m. consider yourself lucky, mine start at 3 a.m. :D

Fuzzy317
09-24-2002, 07:07 PM
I think being a "lap cat" varies between cats. Of the 5 cats we have currently, Livvy (our foster) and Jackson (our Maine Coon), are not lap cats at all. Livvy can be held, but only for a short time. Jackson can held very rarely :(, and thats mostly when we have to capture him if he gets outside. :(

Nomilynn
09-24-2002, 09:39 PM
Cats also get more attached to their people as they get older. I think over time they will become more affectionate :D

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2002, 10:33 PM
I also agree that all cats aren't lap cats. My cat Storm is only a lap cat if he's not feeling well or if he's very scared. He'll only let me hold him for about a minute before he wants to be let down. He loves me to pet him and give him belly rubs though. He's very dog like since he's very social. Pepper is a lap cat and likes to cuddle with me. He'll start kneading my neck and chest and if he's very excited he'll drool :eek: all over me. He likes me to give him hugs and he'll even hug back. Sunny will be a lap cat when he feels like it but usually prefers me to pet him and give him belly rubs. Storm is 6 years old and will be 7 in January. He's calmed down a lot since I've had him. He now likes to sleep in the mornings so he isn't a very early riser like his brother are. Pepper (5years old) and Sunny (2 years old) are morning cats and can wake up as early as 5am. Pepper is a very quiet cat so he doesn't bother me but Sunny will start chirping at me to try to wake me up or to get attention. I'm sure that your cats will mellow with age. Good luck. :)

catland
09-25-2002, 03:47 PM
I once had a rather unsociable cat named Lucy, who turned into an adorable lap cat in her tenth year. She'd actually jump up on my lap every evening right after dinner (mine, not hers). She died a year later, so I was really grateful for this time that we had.

Of my present gang, I can turn them into lap cats, but for varying times. Sid is good for about a minute. Joxer can be good for 5-10 minutes. Quincy and Jan are somewhere in the middle. Also, they almost never are the ones to jump up on my lap, I usually have to force the issue.

Sid has been my biggest challenge. He loves attention and being petted but isn't fond of the whole lap concept. Sometimes I just set him next to me on the couch (facing away from me of course!), and he is able to stay longer. But he is six now, and is getting steadily better as time goes on.

RICHARD
09-25-2002, 07:18 PM
be thankful your cats are JUST lap cats.

my cat is a lap and groin cat.......

his claws get thru the material of my shorts, but so far i am lucky...
especially when he plants his hind feet to jump....i have tried to trim his nails but it's not worth the time explaining to people that
i have a cat, not a crazy g friend ;)

tuxluvr
09-26-2002, 06:50 AM
Ritzy was a lap cat as a kitten, but then only with my spouse (as she got older, that "groin cat" thing was also evident):eek: ...now, at 2 1/2, she is much more aloof, but occasionally does cuddle, but rarely in the lap.

She does generally curl up with me at night for an hour or two. She is nearly always in the same room with us somewhere. If she is napping and we both get up and go into another room, she will awaken and follow us.

I think this varies from cat to cat - and don't think it is indicative of anti-social behavior. LIke some people are "huggers" and some would rather refrain.

As to the night sleeping - again, cats are night creatures by nature - Ritz exhibits the famous RCO (random cat outburst) between the hours of 9pm and midnight...but usually settles in about 2am for a long sleep.

I knew of someone who had a 16 year old cat who suddenly became a lap kitty....found out that the kitty had arthritis, and the warmth of the lap was perfect therapy!

Appreciate the cat for what he/she is. When a non-lap cat decides to show affection, you KNOW it's the real thing!

yumyum6970
09-26-2002, 06:52 AM
Yum Yum is a little over one year old and she isn't a lap kitty at all..she will stay in your lap for a few mins but then she will get down. Our other cat Duchess she is about six years old and loves to sit in my husband's lap all the time. :) so i guess they out grow that when they get older. :)