PDA

View Full Version : Tips on cleaning cats teeth please..

carole
04-11-2009, 06:34 AM
I am attempting to clean Ash's teeth and Ellie-Mae's, I know that Ellie will require a dental soon, but in the meantime would like to try and clean her teeth, Ash has gingivitis due to his renal failure despite having had a full dental done some months back,the vet said if i can manage it, it would be a good idea.

I have the special toothpaste,poultry flavour and two baby toothbrushes, and i tried tonight with both cats.

I must say it was a complete failure and i know it is only my first try, but i just don't think it is going to work.

If you have any tips or advice please post, as i want to do this if i can.

Thanks in advance.

Medusa
04-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Don't worry too much about making it a drawn out process, Carole. If you get a few strokes in over their teeth, mission accomplished. That's what my vet told me but, fortunately, the Fur Posse doesn't put up too much of a fuss. Good luck. :)

carole
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
thanks for that Mary, i thought i would have to get in there and clean them as we do our's, i will give it a few more try's, worth it if i can do it.:)

lvpets2002
04-13-2009, 02:29 PM
:eek: Heck my babies hate for you/me to open their mouths.. Ok I will be waiting for you to tell us how it went.. I will have a box of bandaides ready ok..:D

Catlady711
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
If they're needing a dental done soon then it's proabably tartar on those teeth and no amount of brushing is going to get that off. It has to be scraped and chipped off.

However once they've had a dental done you can keep the tartar at bay a bit longer by 1-3 times a week brushing the teeth. You don't have to be as thourough as we do our own teeth, just the outside edges in the back near the gum line is fine.

carole
04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
One probably needs a dental in the next few months, the other is because of his renal failure, i don't want another dental done as he probably won't survive the treatment this time because of his renal failure and heart condition, so i am trying to do the teeth brushing hoping it might help him some, i have not been brave enough to attempt it again, but will in the next day or two.