PDA

View Full Version : Pirates?

DJFyrewolf36
04-09-2009, 02:07 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090409/ap_on_re_af/piracy

In this day and age? I guess you do what ya gotta do, I wonder what makes people think of going into this type of profession.

blue
04-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Good movie.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjE4NjUwNjA3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUwNDMzMQ@@._ V1._SX278_SY400_.jpg

DJFyrewolf36
04-09-2009, 02:20 AM
lol indeed. Somehow I dont think real life piracy is nearly that glamorus...

Marigold2
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
This is very scary. I hope that our people will be ok. Here we are trying to help others and get attacked. I am sure the Navy will take care of them rather quickley. GO NAVY!

Grace
04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
These pirates have been operating for sometime now - so why don't all these ships have guns, and spotlights? I did read that some have greased their sides so that no one can climb up - why not the others?

Puckstop31
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I've spent some intimate time in the Horn of Africa, courtesy of the Army. There is only one way to end this issue. That way is not pretty. So our current administration will just want to "talk" about it.

Why don't these ships have guns? Because they make port in European and other nations that have draconian anti-gun laws. If customs officials found the weapons necessary to fight off the pirates, they would, at best, have them confiscated. At worst, they'd be doing jail time.

Like it or not, there are bad people in this world. And we all know, even if we will not admit, that the only way for evil to trimuph is for good people to do nothing. Doing nothing includes doing things that history proves WORTHLESS. For better or worse, the lawless lands of the Horn of Africa understand ONE thing. Trust me... I know that those people will only stop for ONE reason.

Its not always pretty. But sometimes, good people have to meet force with GREATER force.

blue
04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
These pirates have been operating for sometime now - so why don't all these ships have guns, and spotlights? I did read that some have greased their sides so that no one can climb up - why not the others?

I think it has to do with regulations. Guns/arms, equals a naval vessel, no guns equals a maritime vessel. IIRC most ports wont allow a naval vessel to dock without special permission. I heard about a cruise ship that is equipt with a sonic gun to ward off pirates, the greased sides is new to me.

Grace
04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I think it has to do with regulations. Guns/arms, equals a naval vessel, no guns equals a maritime vessel. IIRC most ports wont allow a naval vessel to dock without special permission. I heard about a cruise ship that is equipt with a sonic gun to ward off pirates, the greased sides is new to me.

I saw something on the news about 5 - 6 months ago. Some ships were greasing or oiling the sides of their boats to prevent the pirates from climbing the sides. Of course, I can't find it now - :confused: - but will keep looking.

blue
04-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I think the environmentalists would pitch a fit if ships even used crisco to grease their sides.

Grace
04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
This isn't the one I saw on TV, but at least it does mention grease.

That coupled with the ship going at full speed and zigzagging and water cannons, barbed wire and grease and various other bits and pieces on the back of the ship all basically amount to a fairly effective deterrent for what is basically from the pirate's capabilities a fairly primitive way of boarding, i.e., throwing a grappling hook onto the back of the ship and climbing up a rope ladder.

One source (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/12/03/pirates/) - on 1st page, 1st question.

Puckstop31
04-11-2009, 11:39 PM
All the while ignoring the first tenant of responding to an ambush... Return fire and attack through the ambush.

Water cannons.... Greased sides... :rolleyes:

The pirates laugh at us. They know we won't do the right thing. They know we will "negotiate" with them.

Grace
04-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Took a little hunting, but I find this article (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513957,00.html) about pirates. From FOX News, no less ;)

No mention of draconian gun laws; no digs at the current administration.

rosethecopycat
04-12-2009, 12:35 PM
The Captain is free and unharmed.
Three out of four pirates were killed, the fourth is in custody.

YEAH! Dead Pirates!:D:cool:

Grace
04-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Wonderful news!!!

Puckstop31
04-12-2009, 01:23 PM
"A swift firefight..."

Probably more like 10 seconds, if that. SEALs are some bad dudes.

RICHARD
04-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Yo HO HO and a bottle of American Effing Whoop Ass!

PS31,

10 seconds and 6 double taps? You are correct, sir!

----------------

What do we do with the fourth pirate?

Well, we can't send him to Gitmo.....Eff him, make him walk a tack studded plank.

lizbud
04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
The pirates laugh at us. They know we won't do the right thing. They know we will "negotiate" with them.

Want to admit, you were wrong?

RICHARD
04-12-2009, 06:16 PM
They know we will "negotiate" with them.

In any caliber.:D

Can't wait to hear how they did it,.

phesina
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM

A most unChristian thought on this holiest of days: GOOD RIDDANCE!

Laura's Babies
04-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Yo HO HO and a bottle of American Effing Whoop Ass!

Now that they have been introduced to the American way.. will it deter them in the future?

GOOD GOING SEALS!! http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/5.gif

Grace
04-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I absolutely LOVE this -

Two of the captors had poked their heads out of a rear hatch of the lifeboat, exposing themselves to clear shots, and the third could be seen through a window in the bow, pointing an automatic rifle at the captain, who was tied up inside the 18-foot lifeboat, senior Navy officials said.

It took only three remarkable shots — one each by snipers firing from a distance at dusk, using night-vision scopes, the officials said. Within minutes, members of the Special Forces slid down ropes from the Bainbridge, climbed aboard the lifeboat and found the three pirates dead. They then untied Captain Phillips, ending the contretemps at sea that had riveted much of the world’s attention. A fourth pirate had surrendered earlier.

source (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/world/africa/13pirates.html?hp)

kitten645
04-12-2009, 11:29 PM
"Want to admit, you were wrong?"
You're kidding, right?? :D

This was on the Huffington Post:
"Capt. Richard Phillips was in "imminent danger" of being killed before U.S. Special Operations forces shot the pirates in an operation personally approved by President Barack Obama, U.S. officials said."

Rock on!

blue
04-12-2009, 11:34 PM

Ild like to think you werent baiting him....

sparks19
04-13-2009, 12:19 AM

Not exactly sure what your malfunction is here....

but I'm thinking this is one instance where ANYONE would HAPPILY admit they were "wrong" A life was saved the way it should have been saved to begin with. Doing what needed to be done instead of playing politics. I for one am just glad the innocent party in this was saved and the outcome was joyous rather than grave.

blue
04-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I absolutely LOVE this -

source (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/world/africa/13pirates.html?hp)

Having some idea of the skill and training that go into these shots, I wouldnt call them remarkable, but testements to that skill and training.

RICHARD
04-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Two small details about this whole story.

Obama wanted to be sure that Johhny Depp was not involved, The bleeding hearts who are concerned about how this looks to the world are trying to get the fourth pirate to be taken to Anaheim, California.

He is going to be given a visa and a job at Disneyland on the Pirates of the Carribean ride :rolleyes:

------------------------

JUst head that the surviving pirate was allowed to make a phone call from the U.S. ship and was at the fantail waving to his friends who were watching him when the SEALs jumped them!

"Can you hear me now?"

Puckstop31
04-13-2009, 10:15 AM

I was wrong. Happens a lot. Now lets see if we can follow through and finish it.

See, its easy to admit Liz. Your turn next. Also, do not forget that most of my opinion on the direction we are heading as a nation as a whole is based on historical precedent. I PRAY that I am wrong. I do. All I really want is a country where my daughter will be free to make her own choices and not have her life dictated to her by "Big Nanny". Ya know?

Why do you only come out and talk when I make an error? Why can't you admit it when you make errors, or better yet, give us a original opinion or thought on stuff?

We all make mistakes. What makes us different is an ability to admit them, learn from them and move on. Rather than make excuses and try to defend them.

moosmom
04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I think the skipper of that ship and Capt. Sully should both be commendated by the President for bravery.

We've got some great Navy Seals, don't we??? Great job, guys!!! Glad everyone is safe.

lizbud
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Not exactly sure what your malfunction is here....

but I'm thinking this is one instance where ANYONE would HAPPILY admit they were "wrong" A life was saved the way it should have been saved to begin with. Doing what needed to be done instead of playing politics. I for one am just glad the innocent party in this was saved and the outcome was joyous rather than grave.

Some people just have to spout off things like "the pirates are laughing
at us" when it turns out we indeed had the last laugh. :D

lvpets2002
04-13-2009, 12:44 PM
:o Very Tragic Beginning & Such a Very Happy Ending.. So glad the Navy Seals did what they were suppose to.. Very Happy for the Captian to be rescued.. What a Hero..

RICHARD
04-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Some people just have to spout off things like "the pirates are laughing
at us" when it turns out we indeed had the last laugh. :D

I have to get semi-serious :rolleyes: here.

Indeed, You have a bunch of punks, theives and kids who just so happen to hijack a vessel flying the AF.

Now, this has been happening for a while and really seriously the last two years. With a show of hands......Who remembers the RPG attack on a ship last year?

IT's all a problem that doesn't register/doesn't matter/is somewhere else!
I am sure that many of us, taking a cruise in foreign waters check the menu, facilities and location of the restrooms before we jump on board!

Unless a wooden boat with people shooting blanks at your ship is part of the entertainment, you really won't give a flying shiat about the neighborhoods you pass.

It just took them to hijack an American Flagged ship-LOLOLOLOL, the sale of American Flags just went up in all the marinas in Africa.

-------------

They way it works?

Someone working at the docks passes on the departure, port and cargo of a ship. Jerky Jerkwad gets out his GPS system and lies in wait for it on the water.

What is more valuable?

A boat full of food and stuff or a nice cruise liner with a few thousand tourists?

Mr Klinghoffer, god rest your soul, may have an answer?

Other countries leave their crews in limbo, Americans leave no one behind.

-----------------------

I had to laugh at the moron who was quoted as saying the killing of the pirates was wrong! This guy was another pirate.

"We are Muslims and have not killed anyone!"

Yet?

It is a problem that we have to care for now. Just like in the 70's when plane jacking was thede riguer terrorist statement, we adjusted our thinking and rid ourselves of the problem, It got back on the radar on 9/11, and we adjusted again! Do we back off in fear of having the world think we kill
MUSLIM PIRATES or do we plod along and hope for the best?

I get the feeling that we will project an international persona like "Hey, stop tickling my rear with a feather!" We only say something when it bugs us.
Time to stop the idea that each set of morons get to see how far they can bend the rule.

Why not just paint the sides of the boat with-

This IS an American Flagged Ship.
NO riders allowed and the driver carries no cash.

;)

joycenalex
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=RICHARD;2141337]....This IS an American Flagged Ship.
NO riders allowed and the driver carries no cash./quote

add to it, and the US navy is on speed dial....
i still don't understand why merchant ships don't carry small arms, it's not that hard in africa to buy a few rocket launchers and you can get AK47s and kalashnikovs pretty much anywhere in the middle east....why not stock up on a few goodies while on shoreleave? and i'm laying a cup of coffee bet ( doulbecream no sugar, french roast) customs in ports in that area will look past a few small....assistants...
and go NAVY, nice job. another reason to cheer for navy during the army navy game

Grace
04-13-2009, 06:15 PM
My son sent me this link (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/13/greene.seals/) - great story about the NAVY SEALS. The Commander of the USS Bainbridge, Frank Castellano, graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1990, four years after my son did.

GO NAVY!!

RICHARD
04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
and go NAVY, nice job. another reason to cheer for navy during the army navy game
My solution?

Put up one of those skeet platforms on the deck, like the cruise ships have and let them stock up on shells. That way it's all above board!

Some nice buckshot loads!:D

davidpizzica
04-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Two small details about this whole story.

Obama wanted to be sure that Johhny Depp was not involved, The bleeding hearts who are concerned about how this looks to the world are trying to get the fourth pirate to be taken to Anaheim, California.

He is going to be given a visa and a job at Disneyland on the Pirates of the Carribean ride :rolleyes:

------------------------

JUst head that the surviving pirate was allowed to make a phone call from the U.S. ship and was at the fantail waving to his friends who were watching him when the SEALs jumped them!

"Can you hear me now?"

They also wanted to give him a season ticket to see the Pittsburgh Pirates!

RICHARD
04-22-2009, 08:56 AM
They also wanted to give him a season ticket to see the Pittsburgh Pirates!

IT was a package sports deal-

Raiders and Buccaneers season tix, too!;)

DJFyrewolf36
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I had to come in here and lol...:rolleyes: :D