PDA

View Full Version : Way to go, Vermont!

Suki Wingy
04-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Vermont has just legalized same sex marriage! :) It's a step toward the future!

CathyBogart
04-09-2009, 01:15 AM
I saw this earlier....How awesome! I'm very excited.

blue
04-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Personally I dont see why a gay or straight couple would want a government stamp on their relationship.

Karen
04-09-2009, 01:58 AM
The government stamp on their relationship gives them more equal rights to things like visiting each other in the hospital, inheritance issues, benefits and coverage.

That, as well as the emotional satisfaction of feeling like full citizens.

I am glad Vermont is joining us!

blue
04-09-2009, 02:03 AM
The government stamp on their relationship gives them more equal rights to things like visiting each other in the hospital, inheritance issues, benefits and coverage.

So it isnt about marriage then. Straight or gay, couples shouldnt have any more rights or penalties then gay or straight single citizens.

Marigold2
04-09-2009, 09:48 AM
For many couples the legal aspect goes into play and is very important, for others who are finanically secure and not worried about their health as of now it's about love, and being able to stand up in front of their family & friends and declaring this is the person who completes me. Just like a man and a woman have a need/desire to marry so do gay couples. Also if they want to adopt a child down the road they can adopt as a married couple and perhaps this will make it easier for them. Frankly I don't see why anyone has the right to tell two gay people they can't be married, it's no ones business but their own.

Karen
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
So it isnt about marriage then. Straight or gay, couples shouldnt have any more rights or penalties then gay or straight single citizens.

They don't have more rights, a married couple is just different in the eyes of the law. To use just one example, if you are single, there's no obvious answer as to who would inherit your estate if you died suddenly with no will, and you have more than one immediate relative.

Another example is, if you were single and (heaven forbid) critically injured and put on machines, there's no one who can stand up, legally, and say "He would not want that, there's no chance for recovery, pull the plug." Then, instead of the decision being made by someone you know, and with whom you have discussed such issues, it gets decided by a court, or a doctor, or an administrator ...

As a single person, you should have a will, and a designated Power of Attorney assigned to someone just in case these things happen.

Edwina's Secretary
04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Straight or gay, couples shouldnt have any more rights or penalties then gay or straight single citizens.

It is not about MORE ....it is about DIFFERENT.

When two people marry they acquire DIFFERENT rights and obligations than a single person.

If you don't want those DIFFERENT rights and obligations it is very simple.

Don't get married.

But don't deny those DIFFERENT rights and obligations to others who do want them.

blue
04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
It is not about MORE ....it is about DIFFERENT.

When two people marry they acquire DIFFERENT rights and obligations than a single person.

If you don't want those DIFFERENT rights and obligations it is very simple.

Don't get married.

But don't deny those DIFFERENT rights and obligations to others who do want them.

OH freakin please, :rolleyes:. So much for the Equal Rights Movement then.

Karen
04-09-2009, 11:56 AM
OH freakin please, :rolleyes:. So much for the Equal Rights Movement then.

Did you read my post? It explains things differently.

Edwina's Secretary
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Did you read my post? It explains things differently.

I am curious Karen. How does your post explain things differently?

(Other than blue doesn't do <<roll eyes>> at you....)

I think it is important to understand there are obligations that go with marriage as well as benefits. I am responsible for the debts my husband incurs for example.

blue
04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
if you are single, there's no obvious answer as to who would inherit your estate if you died suddenly with no will, and you have more than one immediate relative.

As a single person, you should have a will, and a designated Power of Attorney assigned to someone just in case these things happen.

You stated the obvious answer, be prepared.

If you have the time and money to get married you have the time and money to see a lawyer to get your wishes spelled out in a court of law.

Different rights go against equal rights.

Edwina's Secretary
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Adults have different "rights" than minors. At age 65, people have different "rights" than those under age 65 - people who have passed a driver's test have different "rights" than those who have not. Veterans have different "rights" than those who have not served in the military.

The problem is what the word "rights" means. I've said this before. It gets thrown around carelessly.

blue
04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Adults have different "rights" than minors.

Minors have privilages until they break the law.

At age 65, people have different "rights" than those under age 65

Please elaborate, I have another 30 years to hit that age.

people who have passed a driver's test have different "rights" than those who have not.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilage that is earned or lost.

Veterans have different "rights" than those who have not served in the military.

Veterans earned those benifits by serving, they are not "rights".

The problem is what the word "rights" means. I've said this before. It gets thrown around carelessly.

On this we can agree.

Edwina's Secretary
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Veterans earned those benifits by serving, they are not "rights".

Trust me...people who get married EARN their different "rights" too! :D:D:D:D

Puckstop31
04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Adults have different "rights" than minors. At age 65, people have different "rights" than those under age 65 - people who have passed a driver's test have different "rights" than those who have not. Veterans have different "rights" than those who have not served in the military.

This is a good point...

To me, a right is something inalienable. Something that just IS, not granted or denied by a piece of paper. Perhaps government/controlling agency may not recognize a peoples inalienable rights, but they are still rights all the same. Further I belive that a true RIGHT is something that age, sex, creed, marital status, sexual preference, religion, etc, should be blind to. I think the US Bill of Rights pretty much hits it on the head.

I think, if I wrote the quoted part above, I would replace "rights" in the first paragraph with entitlements. Entitlements are a whol different ball game. A entitlement can be granted and taken away at the stroke of a pen. As such, people should not depend on them. But that gets too far off topic, eh? :)

Puckstop31
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Trust me...people who get married EARN their different "rights" too! :D:D:D:D

Roger that. LOL :D

aTailOf2Kitties
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Just like a man and a woman have a need/desire to marry so do gay couples. I don't have a need or a desire to get married. It's soooooo much easier to "shack up" long term, LOL ;)

I think it's funny how many straight couples are desperately trying to get OUT of a marriage, yet gay couples want to get INTO one. :D

Puckstop31
04-09-2009, 01:08 PM
FWIW, I too am glad that Vermont did what it did. What's better is that is was the result of legislative action, as it should be. The other states that did it, did so as the result of judicial action, which IMO is VERY wrong and scary.

Judges do not make law.

Puckstop31
04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Blue, I take it that you just recently did your taxes? :)

pomtzu
04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Good! I think all states should legalize it. I certainly do not agree with that lifestyle, but who are we to say they shouldn't have the right to choose a partner and live their lives together as a couple, and have the rights and benefits of a straight married couple? As long as they don't try to push their beliefs and lifestyle on others - who cares????
I personally know 2 same sex couples (not married) who have adopted children, and you couldn't ask for a better set of parents for the children. Some straight parents with kids could take some lessons from them!!!