PDA

View Full Version : sleep apnea test

davidpizzica
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm going in for a sleep apnea test on April 22. I I'm just curious to see if anyone else did this test and what's involved. I don't think Marigold has complained of my snoring!

kokopup
04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Snoring may or may not not be a symptoms of sleep apnea. A better question, do ever just stop breathing for short periods during the night. These periods are usually followed by awaking. Do you ever wake yourself with a gasp?

Nomilynn
04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I had an overnight sleep apnea test 3 years ago. They attach a bunch of wires to various places on your head and body to see how your brain reacts while you sleep. It's good, because it actually monitors everything and takes in to account that you aren't sleeping as well in the hospital bed as you would in your own home. It also keeps video on how you sleep to see if you have restless leg syndrome or something like that.

They discovered that I "woke up" every 65 seconds or something like that.. I think it was over 360 "waking episodes" I think they called it in a 7hr45min sleep. I had surgery 2 years ago to remove my tonsils and the hangey-ball at the back of my throat because I did not want to wear a machine to sleep at night, and it's made a huge difference for me!

Twisterdog
04-08-2009, 10:30 PM
My husband is having his overnight sleep test on May 1. Last week he did the finger monitor thing at home, and they called to say his REM oxygen level was at 60%. It should be 95 - 99%.

I have been telling him for two YEARS that he has severe sleep apnea. It's SO obvious with him. He finally made an appointment when I threatened to get another bed and move into the computer room!

cassiesmom
04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I had mine last year at about this time. I had to be there at about 8 or 8:30 PM. They had me not drink anything caffeinated after mid-day so I'd sleep (ha!). EEG leads glued to my scalp, so I brought a little bottle of shampoo with. They had glue remover ready in the morning though. EKG leads on my chest and monitors on my legs to check for restless legs syndrome. A tiny monitor on my cheek for eye movements. A band around my chest to monitor your breathing and they audio and video taped it. I had to go two nights, once for the sleep study and once for CPAP titration, but some centers can do it in one night. At Loyola (Chicago) the sleep lab is in the outpatient cancer center, so I was awakened around 5:30 AM - up and out because the first cancer patients' care starts at 7. It's pretty hard to rest with all those leads and wires - plus, it's a hospital bed with a mattress about as thick as a piece of paper. But it was worth it because I sleep better with the CPAP.