PDA

View Full Version : New co-worker

Marigold2
04-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Have a new co-worker. How soon do you make up your mind about a new person as to fiting in, being nice, getting the job done?
Do you make up your mind right away?
Are you sometimes wrong?
Or do you take a wait and see approach?
What signs do you look at?

finn's mom
04-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I do make basic judgements. We had a guy come in for his first day recently, and he smelled poorly, dressed poorly, etc. I didn't think much of how he'd work out, but I was nice to him. I didn't judge his personality, but I didn't think he'd be good at the job. Not sure why he came in that way, but he's ended up being clean and a hard worker every day so far.

Karen
04-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I'd give it a couple weeks before you make any further judgment on the new person - the first week is usually very stressful, and they're trying to be on best behavior, but may be too stressed to do so!

catnapper
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I get a basic feel for people right away. I'll know if they'll make it or not. I know if they'll be trouble makers or not. And I'm seldom wrong, but its something I've always been able to do when meeting new people.

Right now, we have two newbies at work.
~One started right before Christmas. I knew he'd fit in well, become the top seller, and create trouble with our trouble maker. He's done just that.
~The other started a month ago. I liked her but had no thought of her performing well. I still think she's a wonderful woman... but oh-my-gawd.... she can't get even the most basic concept down.

Taz_Zoee
04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Usually you can tell right away. Our temp started out and was very over-bearing. We almost can't stand her now. She's nice and has a good sense of humor, but she likes to tell people what to do and doesn't even realize she's doing it. I don't think she's going to make it to perm status.
Sometimes you'll get the one that surprises you and turns out completely opposite of your first impression.

Laura's Babies
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I get a basic feel for people right away. I'll know if they'll make it or not. I know if they'll be trouble makers or not. And I'm seldom wrong, but its something I've always been able to do when meeting new people

I've seen them come and I've seen them go out on the river, I can usually tell like catnapper. Some I go "Ugh Oh!" soon as I see them and hear them speak. I can spot a con a mile away and we had one not long ago who claimed he was 10 years military, I could tell he was NOT millitary. He did 10 years somewhere but not in service for our country. He was so nice and handsome, just soooo sweet! If they don't socialize with the rest of the crew, they are not planning to stay and will not do a whole trip.. I can even spot the baby of the family.. they hardly ever make it out there.

Edwina's Secretary
04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Have a new co-worker. How soon do you make up your mind about a new person as to fiting in, being nice, getting the job done?
Do you make up your mind right away?
Are you sometimes wrong?
Or do you take a wait and see approach?
What signs do you look at?

I would ask you...

how long to you give them to make up their mind about you?

As I am often the one that "picked them" or at least recommended them perhaps I am biased.

But I wish I could tell you how many times people leave because of the reception they receive (and how much it cost to hire someone in the first place!)

caseysmom
04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I would ask you...

As I am often the one that "picked them" or at least recommended them perhaps I am biased.

But I wish I could tell you how many times people leave because of the reception they receive (and how much it cost to hire someone in the first place!)

Amen sista!

sparks19
04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't know... I'm usually a pretty trusting person and give most people the benefit of the doubt. usually people get my blessing until they prove me wrong not the other way around. maybe it's a character flaw but most people don't have to earn my trust... they just have to keep it.

caseysmom
04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't know... I'm usually a pretty trusting person and give most people the benefit of the doubt. usually people get my blessing until they prove me wrong not the other way around. maybe it's a character flaw but most people don't have to earn my trust... they just have to keep it.

Don't change a thing. I love ya just the way you are.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm a stay at home mom now, but when I was working out of the house I helped "pick" new employees. My boss, the owner, had the final say, but as her manager I helped in the hiring process.

Usually our problem lied when my boss hired someone without my "help". She hired one woman who in her first week was late or had and "emergency" and had to leave early 3 times. I gave her a second chance after the first time. The second time I told my boss I couldn't have this happening everyday and she needed to be told to get her act straight, I could do it or she could. My boss said she'd take care of it, but it happened a third time before she could talk to the new woman. I was ready to fire her at that point, my boss said "no, I'll talk to her and give her one more chance." I was furious, this was a grown woman and she should know better. Anyway, my boss told her to shape up or she was out. She was much better after that, she even worked up to assistant manager.

My point is give them a chance. Maybe give them some pointers and assistance to help them fit in. Some people will still not work out, but maybe some of them will.

Cataholic
04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I consider myself pretty lucky in the employement arena. I have had 2 long term jobs since beginning my professional career. I am excluding the summer temp jobs. I tend to like most people. I also tend to be a hard worker, and kind of bright (not smart, bright) in that I catch on fast.

However, I also tend to be a know-it-all (I know that is shocking to most of you), and I ALWAYS know a better way to do things (smirk). I have learned that last trait really, really, really rubs people the wrong way. Coming into a place, new on the scene, with youthful exuberance and innovative ideas raises the hackles of the old timers, no matter how great the idea may be. An outsiders fresh look at a company seems to frighten people. That causes tension in the work place, and can make people bristle- both ways.

So, I cut people a break, go out of my way to be friendly and personable, and remember that starting a new job is one of the most stressful environments that exists. I also remember that new ideas, attitudes and individuals are what makes going into work each day so much fun. I mean that last part. I work with, and have usually worked with, a great group of people that care about me, as I care about them. People don't have to think just like me in order for me to like them. (It helps....it helps...).

I work with someone now that formed a pretty quick opinion of me, and it was NOT favorable. Frankly, I think she was wrong to judge me. BUT, today? 10 years later? We are the best of friends. I try not to make snap decisions about people...but, my inklings are usually correct.

CountryWolf07
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM

I am the exact same way.

pomtzu
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't rely much on first impressions. I used to, but I got proved wrong in too many instances.
However, I don't think it takes a person's true colors too long before they're seen. Before I retired, I was 21 years with the same company, and saw a lot of employees come and go in that time. I eventually went more with the "wait and see" option, since it doesn't take too long to separate the people who are there to work and do a good job, from the ones that are there only for the sake of a paycheck.

Marigold2
04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
With this company I am just one of the girls, I don't hire or fire anyone. Just trying to keep my job as most of us do. In the 7 years I have been here we have had about 30 new people come and go. Some lasted only a day or two, some left because they didn't like management or found something better, or moved. I get along with most people I tend to be the office clown always joking. The one person I did not get along with had a crush on the boss and became totally oppsessed with him, it was so sad and scary.

I would ask you...

kitten645
04-09-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm a pretty laid back person. But I can tell by first impression where a person will stand with me. In my forty somewhat years I've only been wrong twice. I do not try to prove myself right and give everyone the benefit of the doubt but inevitabliy they prove themselves to be what I thought. I think that often, women in particular, don't trust their gut and it's proved to not be a good thing. Obviously different people feel differently. Everyone has to find their own way.
Claudia:love:

Alysser
04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I try not to go by first impressions, but honestly it's hard not to. If a new person behaves like they are a smart a$$, know-it-all, etc. I generally try not to associate with them but sometimes the person can be very nice at first and their rudeness escalates..

I remember a girl, I'll call her K and she was such a sweet person at first. She was always nice to everyone co-workers, supervisors, guests you name it she was always polite. The first time she was rude to one of the Cash Control people I didn't think much of it, just that she was having an off day. One day not long after that I was in the back counting stock and she comes in and tells me to start blowing-up basketballs, I asked her who told her to tell me that and she didn't answer me. I kept counting stock because it's not like a supervisor had told me to do it. After that she became SO incredibly bossy that I avoided her at all costs, not only to me to everyone including my supervisor and sometimes guests. Last I heard, she got into a fight with another employee and was fired for it. :rolleyes: She lasted the whole of 3 months.

Long story short, I learned that maybe you should wait a while before making a final judgement on someone. :p

sasvermont
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I usually keep my opinion to myself, at work. I don't try to judge someone until it is appropriate. The learning curve can be brutal.

I have a hard time with valley girl lingo - someone saying "like" and using a high pitched voice, but hey, I can even get over that eventually.

I like hard working people - honest - timely - and the basics in needs with low maintenance, wants and desires.

I keep to myself at work and concentrate on doing a good job. I leave the personal stuff at the door. We are there to work, not socialize.