PDA

View Full Version : Corkscrew is sick

Uabassoon
09-24-2002, 12:40 PM
On Saturday I noticed that Corkscrew third eyelids seemed swollen or something because they were very noticable. So I took him into the vet this morning. He had a fever of 103.1!! And it turns out that his eyelids weren't swollen, he was just so sick that his eyes are kind of sinking back so that's why the third eyelid was showing. They did some bloodwork which they are sending to a lab in Phoenix. I'll find out the results tomorrow morning, so I hope every thing is ok. :(

Former User
09-24-2002, 12:44 PM
Oh poor baby! As we just got our Casper back to being healthy, I sure can relate. Casper had a fever of 105! He got shots to bring the fever down and antibiotics, and is back to normal now. I sure hope Corkscrew will be back to normal soon too, don't you just hate when these lil ones are ill?
All the best wishes and GET WELL SOON Corkscrew! I hope the tests come out good, nothing wrong.
Keeping fingers and paws crossed here. Keep us posted, please.

Randi
09-24-2002, 12:48 PM
Ooohh, poor Corkscrew! :( I hope he'll be feeling better very soon! He's such a gorgeous boy!! Is he eating? Wants to cuddle?

We'll keep our paws and fingers crossed for him!! - And we'll send some good vibes!!

Please report as soon as possible - with hopefully good news!! :)

lynnestankard
09-24-2002, 12:58 PM
Uabassoon - sorry Corkscrew is so poorly. Please give him a very gentle nose kiss from me and I'm keeping the lovely furboy in my thoughts. Let us know how the results check-out.

Lynne

09-24-2002, 01:05 PM
poor baby !!! Hope you are feeling better soon !!! Don't be mad at the white-coats , they want to find out what is wrong with you so they can make you better !
To your humans : know that I am thinking about your sweet cat !! It is no fun when our lil ones are sick ; it makes you feel so helpless and worried ... !
Take care of yourself , and cuddle your sweet Corkscrew !
Give him a nose kissie and head-bumpie from Maya !!!

http://216.40.241.68/kao/otn/pacting.gif

Uabassoon
09-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Corkscrew likes the head bumpie and nose kissie from Maya. He thinks she's a very pretty girl.

09-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Oh my , Corkscrew , you made me blush !!! Here is something extra for ye , so you will remind me !!

your MAYA !

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/kao/otn/phearts.gif

toughCookie
09-24-2002, 05:26 PM
oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear Corkscrew is sick. please let us know what you find out tomorrow!.

AmberLee
09-24-2002, 07:24 PM
So sorry to hear that Corkscrew is ill. (I think it's an excellent sign that he's able to chirk up and take notice of Maya's loveliness. ;) :D ) Hope the little guy is all the way well soon.

Holding you and him in our thoughts and prayers.

Nomilynn
09-24-2002, 09:36 PM
I hope Corkscrew gets better. However, do we have a budding romance beginning here??? ;)

I will be sending you and Corkscrew my best. Bassett, Tilly and Nutmeg all send their best wishes :)

Uabassoon
09-24-2002, 09:47 PM
I can't wait for it to be tomorrow already so I can know how his bloodwork came out. Corkscrew is still eating which I think is a good sign he's a little slower and way more cuddly than usual. Giving him his antibiotics earlier today was a real pain, he may only weigh 12 lbs, but he is really strong. And luckily my landloard LOVES cats because I sort of spent my rent money on his blood work, it was expensive but I want to know what is wrong with him. So I'm just going to pay a little extra rent the next few months until the difference is made up. I'll update tomorrow morning when I get the phone call from the vet.

ps Corkscrew said to tell Maya to have sweet dreams tonight :)

Nomilynn
09-24-2002, 09:51 PM
Wow that's so great that your landlord is so understanding! The fact that he's eating is a very good sign, and all of us here wish the best :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2002, 10:19 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Corkscrew isn't feeling well. :( I sure hope that the bloodwork comes back fine and that it's nothing serious. I'm sure glad that he's still able to eat. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Storm, Pepper, and Sunny send head bumpies and get well wishes too. Please keep us posted.

Uabassoon
09-25-2002, 05:57 PM
I'm starting to get a little worried. Yesterday the vet said he would call around 10 and let me know how Corkscrew was. Well he didn't call so I called to see if the results were in and the assistant told me the results were in but he hadn't had time to look over it yet. So I called back just right now (4 pm) and the assistant said that he looked over the results but that HE needed to discuss them with me and would call me later. Now I'm a little worried that it could be something serious, and I hope I dont have to wait too much longer. I want to know already.

toughCookie
09-25-2002, 06:46 PM
oh Im sorry you have to wait, I can understand that. waiting and then to hear something like that does make you worry! the vet is probaby just busy, hopefully you will hear today. please post when you know the result...

AmberLee
09-25-2002, 07:21 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here for you and particularly for Corkscrew. Hope it's just been a busy day for the vet. It must be very nerve-wracking for you... :eek: :(

Miss Meow
09-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
So I called back just right now (4 pm) and the assistant said that he looked over the results but that HE needed to discuss them with me and would call me later. Now I'm a little worried that it could be something serious, and I hope I dont have to wait too much longer. I want to know already.

It might be like when you get a blood test, the pathology lab usually can't give results direct, you have to go back to the doctor for interpretation (what I mean is maybe vet assistants aren't allowed to give out results)

At least, I hope it's just like that and Corkscrew is OK. Good luck. Please let us know when you have the results.

krazyaboutkatz
09-25-2002, 10:22 PM
I'm still praying for Corkscrew. I sure hope that the results are good. Please keep us posted.

Uabassoon
09-25-2002, 10:41 PM
He has some sort of virus but I can't remember the name. The vet said it's nothing too serious. I stopped by the office and the tech game me some more medicines for him. I got some eye ointment for him that I have to give him and another antibiotic to give him when the antibiotic he's on now finishes. Then in about a month or so he wants to take another blood test.

Nomilynn
09-25-2002, 10:54 PM
I'm glad to know the vet doesn't think it's too serious. We are all praying for a speedy recovery :)

Former User
09-26-2002, 02:11 AM
I'm glad it's nothing serious, I bet you are relieved! We are all sending lots of good wishes for Corkscrew and keeping our fingers and paws crossed that he will recover soon. :)

Vio&Juni
09-26-2002, 03:47 AM
I was sure that's a virus, our Vasea had the same problem. He needed shots and some pills. Poor guy, if you could see him, how he escaped once and was running through the appartment with the needle in his rear end. Now it's kind of funny, but we were worried sick then. After one week he was the same bad guy again. Good luck with Corkscrew, he'll get better.

lynnestankard
09-26-2002, 03:49 AM
Hang on in there Uabassoon - it sounds as though things aren't as bad as we feared. Give Corkscrew a great big cuddle from me and all paws and fingers crossed here for his quick recovery. xxx

Lynne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-26-2002, 10:40 PM
I'm so glad Corkscrew is going to be ok. I haven't had much chance to reply to many posts, but I was reading as many as possible and was thinking about poor little Corky, and you, these last couple of days and hoping it would be nothing serious. Sounds like after some treatment he'll be ok, so we'll still keep our fingers and paws crossed that he is back to normal after a few days of treatment. Head bumpies and scritches to Corky, and hugs to you. Sick "kids" are just no fun at all. :( :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2002, 10:52 PM
I'm so glad that it's nothing serious and that it's treatable. I also hope that Corkscrew has a speedy recovery. I'll be praying for him. Take care.

Uabassoon
09-26-2002, 11:10 PM
I think I'm going to stop giving Corkscrew the eye ointment until I can call my vet in the morning. I'm supposed to give it to him 5 to 6 times a day. So around every 2 to 3 hours that I'm awake. I gave it to him 3 times last yesterday and so far 4 times today. But now his eyes are starting to look irratated, his outer eyelids look swollen and they are pretty red. But the inside is looking better, but that could be because of the antibiotics. So I'm not really sure. But I think 4 times today should be ok, and I'll call in the morning. I don't want to make his eyes worse.

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2002, 11:37 PM
I think I'm going to stop giving Corkscrew the eye ointment until I can call my vet in the morning. I'm supposed to give it to him 5 to 6 times a day. So around every 2 to 3 hours that I'm awake. I gave it to him 3 times last yesterday and so far 4 times today. But now his eyes are starting to look irratated, his outer eyelids look swollen and they are pretty red. But the inside is looking better, but that could be because of the antibiotics. So I'm not really sure. But I think 4 times today should be ok, and I'll call in the morning. I don't want to make his eyes worse. I think that ToughCookie also had this problem with one of her cats. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Uabassoon
09-26-2002, 11:45 PM
ToughCookie and I are planning on having coffee this weekend and showing pictures of our cats.... it looks like we will also be able to talk about our cats eye problems. And the pains of giving so many medicines.

Randi
09-27-2002, 10:04 AM
I hope Corkscrew will be feeling better over the weekend! I'll keep him in my thoughts and cross my fingers for him - and Fister sends lots of headbumpies. :)

Get well soon Corkscrew! :)

Cataholic
09-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Boo hoo hoo for Corkscrew :( Everyone here was doing happy dances, but now they are sad again because of the medication causing an irritant. I have told my guys to cross all their paws, tails, and think good thoughts for Corkscrew. Even Minnie is trying to cross her paws! Keep us posted, and know that Corkscrew is in all of our thoughts. ;)

Uabassoon
09-27-2002, 01:42 PM
I took Corkscrew back to the vet this morning. His eyes looked better, the vet said some irritation was normal because the ointment has a steroid in it but he said after a few days his eyes will get used to it. It turns out Corkscrew has a strain of the Corona Virus. The vet said that Corkscrew is looking really well and he feels that he can shake it off. He's eating VERY well and he's still very active. So there's been no weight loss or anything and the vet said he's looking better then he did when I brought him in on Tues. I'm taking him back in 10 days for another checkup then about two weeks after that he'll get some more blood work to see how the virus is doing.

gini
09-27-2002, 02:10 PM
I am happy to hear Corkscrew is much better. Boy, don't we worry about our babies?

Cataholic
09-27-2002, 02:40 PM
Yeah Corkscrew:D You are doing so much better that you are even drinking beer! Corona at that!:D

HoRsELUvR
09-27-2002, 08:09 PM
awww.i hope Corkscrew gets better soon.let us know how he is.i hope he's ok.poor cat!tell him to get better soon!

Uabassoon
09-27-2002, 08:10 PM
You are doing so much better that you are even drinking beer! Corona at that!

Yup, that's my boy. He's drinking Mexican beer to support my heritage!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-27-2002, 09:32 PM

Yup, that's my boy. He's drinking Mexican beer to support my heritage!!

:D :D You might want to invite Gabe over. I hear he likes beer too. ;) :) Don't know if he has a particularly favorite brand...oops, now I remember he's just a working boy from Joisey and probably prefers good ol' Pabst Blue Ribbon over that fancy Corona stuff. But he seems an adventurous sort so I'm sure Corky could get him to at least try some of the Corona. What do you think SAS? ;) :D

I'm glad he's doing so much better and that he'll be able to lick this thing. Please keep us updated. :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-28-2002, 12:38 AM
I'm so glad that Corkscrew is doing better. :) I've never heard of this type of virus but I'm glad that it's treatable.

Uabassoon
09-28-2002, 03:46 AM
Coronavirus if left untreated can cause FIP. But my vet seems pretty sure that Corkscrew can shake it off before it leads to FIP, and I also cought it very early. I'm glad I pay enough attention to my cats to notice the little things.

HoRsELUvR
09-28-2002, 06:36 AM
i hope he is ok.maybe he just wants to discuss the medications w/ you or something.i hope its nothing bad.good luck!

HoRsELUvR
09-28-2002, 06:38 AM
im glad he'll be ok.at least its not too serious.

delidog
09-29-2002, 07:22 PM
i am sorry that i didn't get to this post earlier....
but i want to wish Dear Corkscrew a speedy recovery...
that was quite a scare.....
glad that your vet thinks he is doing well

{{{{{{{{{Corkscrew}}}}}}}}}}

feel better!!!!!

Uabassoon
10-06-2002, 03:13 AM
Corkscrew is finally starting to look back to normal. I stopped giving him the eye medication because everytime I gave it to him his eyes just got worse and worse, once it even got so bad he couldn't open his eyes anymore. He finished off his first bottle of antibiotics, and has now started a different antibiotic and I think this new one has so made so much difference. Today his eyes finally look normal I can't see the third eyelid anymore. And I've finally figured out the best way to give him his medicine, the new antibiotic is clear and very runny so i just mix it in with his canned food and he doesn't seem to notice the difference. He'll be going in for another blood test soon to see if he still has the coronavirus, hopefully it will come back negative. I'm just happy he's back to his old self.

krazyaboutkatz
10-06-2002, 10:26 PM
Yeah! I'm so glad to hear that Corkscrew is doing a lot better. :D I hope that his blood test comes back negative for the Coronavirus. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Good luck. :)

Cataholic
10-07-2002, 12:24 PM
We sure have had a run on sick kitties, haven't we? Good luck to Corkscrew, and his little eye issue. No more scary eye drops for him, huh?:D

gini
10-07-2002, 12:29 PM
Yes, we have had a string of sick kitties! I am also saddened by the losses of such young cats.

Hope Corkscrew is all better now!!

SANDY FROST
10-09-2002, 02:34 AM
GOOD LUCK ! MY PRAYERS ARE WITHYOU AND CORKSCREW.
SANDY FROST;)

SANDY FROST
10-10-2002, 02:52 AM
WELL IS CORKSCREW GOING TO BE ALRIGHT OR IS THAT LAB TAKEN ITS SWEET TIME JUST TO DRIVE YOU NUTS AND THE REST OF US, CROSSING MY FINGERS FOR CORKSCREW THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT.
SANDY FROST,TIGGER,YURI AND BAXTER:D

Uabassoon
10-10-2002, 02:56 AM
He's almost finished with his antibiotics, so I think next week I will take him in for his blood work. The vet wants him to finish his medicines before he gets his bloodwork done. Hopefully the antibiotics have helped him fight off the virus. He really is looking so much better and he's been eating like a little piglet and getting into everything.

SANDY FROST
10-10-2002, 03:12 AM
THANKYOU I WAS WORRIED ABOUT CORKSCREW. SOUNDS LIKE THINGS
ARE GOING GOOD. GIVE CORKSCREW A HUG FROM ME.
SANDY FROST:)

10-10-2002, 04:15 AM
Hip hip hurray for Corkscrew !!
So glad to read the good news !

Vio&Juni
10-10-2002, 06:17 AM
So glad for Corkscrew:)
I must have missed some topics during the summer, but I just found out yesterday about Zasper:( What happened to him?

krazyaboutkatz
10-10-2002, 11:16 AM
That's great news. I'm so glad that he's doing so well. :D

Kirsten
10-10-2002, 01:25 PM
Ah, I kind of have always missed this topic, I'm sorry! :(

First, I'm glad to see that Corkscrew is doing better! But you've been through a hard time of worrying and sorrow! God, how I hate this corona virus! I lost my first cat to it, my Aysche died from FIP.

Actually I think Corkscrew was even lucky that he developed these symptoms of illness, that way the corona virus infection became obvious and he could be treated! I'm so glad he's doing fine now! :)

Kirsten

Uabassoon
10-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Thanks Kirsten. I'm really glad that I noticed the symptoms early. I lost one cat this summer and I don't think I could handle losing another. But Corkscrew is such a strong cat, I'm so happy that he's doing much better

Kirsten
10-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! :( That's one of the hardest things! :( I saw somebody mentioned something about Zasper above, did you lose him? How sad! :(

Kirsten

Uabassoon
10-10-2002, 02:08 PM
I lost Zasper in July, she accidentally choked on her collar, it was really sad. I got Tibby about a month later because Corkscrew was really sad and lonely.

Kirsten
10-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Oh no, how sad is this!?! :( :( :( I'm so sorry that you have lost your beautiful Zasper, what a horrible accident! :( That is so sad!!!

Yes, it often helps a bit to get a new life after such a loss, is Corkscrew happy with his new friend Tibby? He must have missed Jasper so much!

Kirsten