PDA

View Full Version : *Three* tests out of the way, *Three* certifications in the bag.

blue
04-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I passed 2 Comp TIA A+ tests today, essentials and technician.

Next up are the N+ (network) and S+ (security) certifications.

Finaly turning a hobby into an employment opportunity in an effort to get out of construction work.

I guess I am finaly certafiable.

DJFyrewolf36
04-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Congrats! I need to get off my butt and get my certs too...there are so many tech jobs out there even now.

beeniesmom
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Congratulations!
I know the hard work that goes behind passing those tests to get the certifications.
Hubby has all those and others.
You really should try applying for Government jobs: http://www.usajobs.gov/
I'd be happy to look over your resume before you post it on the site.

phesina
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Congratulations! Well done!!!

lizbud
04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Congratulations. The more training you have, the better the jobs.:)

Puckstop31
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Way to go Dan! Now, after you finish all the TIA tests, go for a Microsoft cert. I suggest starting with the new Vista test. Taking the desktop OS courses first teaches you the basics of Windows architecture. Knowing THAT really enables you to diagnose problems because you can actually decipher those cryptic error messages.

But be warned... The new Microsoft tests are really difficult as they are "adaptive". When you get something wrong, the test keeps pounding you on that particular subject. They are also difficult in that several of the answers might actually work, but only one of them would be the "best practice" answer.

After that, learn TCP/IP. Knowing how IP traffic routs and troubleshooting routing problems is a way to the big $$ jobs.

Good Luck!!!

P.S. We always knew you were certifiable.... ;)

Puckstop31
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
For any geeks in the central PA area... If you are looking for work, PM me your email. We are looking to hire a few people soon.

If you are a SharePoint developer, REALLY send me your email. :)

blue
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Got my Comp TIA N+ certification today!

Should have my S+ by this time next month.

Grace
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Got my Comp TIA N+ certification today!

Should have my S+ by this time next month.

What do those acronyms stand for?

In my field, TIA stands for Transient Ischemic Attack.

caseysmom
06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm in IT but I am all mainframe. This is some sort of network certification, is it cisco?

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

blue
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Computer tech courses, nothing as specific as Cisco. The N+ is basic networking and more.

Mainly trying to get the heck out of construction work.

caseysmom
06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Yep a sit down job can be better as we age...or maybe not I don't know construction probably gets you in shape but I am working from home while injured I sure couldn't do that if I had a physical job.

blue
06-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Yep a sit down job can be better as we age...or maybe not I don't know construction probably gets you in shape but I am working from home while injured I sure couldn't do that if I had a physical job.

Ild like more of a system wide IT dude type job, troubleshooting workstation or setting up new workstation type thing. Or just fixing comps.

caseysmom
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah I don't see the demand for that type of job going away any time soon.

blue
06-08-2009, 10:25 PM
After 14 years of dealing with whiney homeowners I cant see how bad dealing with whiney cube dwellers can be, I could be asking for a deathwish here.

Twisterdog
06-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Congratulations!

Do all PTers get free computer advice? ;)

blue
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Ill do what I can.

smokey the elder
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
"Whiney cube dwellers" LOL.

beeniesmom
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Good for you. Congratulations. :)

Hellow
06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Awesome. Nice job.

Heh, I do more Network IT and Linux administration, and hardware-related things. I suck with Windowz or Mac. Horribly. You are better than me at Windows-related things, blue :).

Lilith Cherry
06-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Well done Blue! I hope all your hard work pays off in a great job!

blue
09-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Got my CompTIA S+ cert today. That is one tough test.

cassiesmom
09-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Well done Blue! I hope all your hard work pays off in a great job!

I hope so too! Congratulations!

jennielynn1970
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Wow... congrats on all the certs!! Hope you can find something that will keep you interested, and that you'll like in the IT field.

K9karen
09-02-2009, 08:07 PM
You go dude!

Catty1
09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Okay...I have ADD too. How did you focus for all the studying?

I have the A+ text and find it interesting...maybe I should just do the practice exams on the disc and look up stuff on the net? Does that count?

Focussing and remembering stuff in the text is hard for me unless I am doing something hands on right after.

Congratulations!

blue
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Okay...I have ADD too. How did you focus for all the studying?

I have the A+ text and find it interesting...maybe I should just do the practice exams on the disc and look up stuff on the net? Does that count?

Focussing and remembering stuff in the text is hard for me unless I am doing something hands on right after.

Congratulations!

The A+ has been the easiest, but Ive been tearing computers apart for years for fun. THe network wasnt to bad because Ive been running multiple comps for years as well, and had a server before testing for the cert.

I did get to cram for the S+ test with my instructor from the class all day yesterday and this morning. Went over a bunch of test questions and interactives.

This is the third time I took the exam, third times the charm I guess.

I dont know what to tell you. My mom is mildly ADD, flash cards work great for her but are worthless for me.

Doing the hands on stuff is best way I learn things too.

Maybe we should start an ADD thread, I cant tell somebody how to do something but I can show them.

Catty1
09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
There we are...there are no A+ courses here, let alone instructors!

There will be a way. When I get some money, I will ask a senior tech to tutor me in the subject matter on each chapter.

Thanks!