PDA

View Full Version : Death toll up to 150...

beeniesmom
04-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Oooh, I am so sad about the earthquake that hit L'aquila in Italy.
My parents and brothers live 180 miles from the epicenter (near Naples) but they certainly felt it. Everyone in thier condo evacuated. I called my mom and she said that there was a lot of panic but everyone soon realized that the epicenter was further away.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/06/italy.quake/index.html

beeniesmom
04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I sent kittycats_delight a pm to see if she is ok. I know she lives north of where it happened.

lizbud
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I was concerned when I heard that news. That's a big quake and
so many people were affected.:( Prayers for the survivors.

lvpets2002
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
:( Yes this is so tragic & sad.. I am so glad your family is ok.. I sure hope Michelle & hubby & babies are doing ok.. Gosh I just dont remember how close she lived to this location.. Do You??

Karen
04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Tell your family they and all those affected will be in our prayers.

lvpets2002
04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
:) Ok Michelle is in Vicenza.. Is this close to that city I wonder?? Yes all the familys are in my Prayers..

Freedom
04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Here is a map showing where Kittycatsdelight / Michelle lives (Vicenza), and where the quake was (L'Aquila) == 548 km away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=vicenza+italy&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=B4HaSfvKKMqJtgfYkcz8Bw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

Prayers for all those effected by this quake.

beeniesmom
04-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes, I now remember too. She lives in Vicenza. That is probably too far away to have felt anything.

Edwina's Secretary
04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I am crying as I read the reports. So very sad...so very tragic...

kitten645
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I heard that 60,000 people are living in tent cities :( That is heartbreaking and unimaginable. My prayers to all effected.
Claudia

PS Can I ask why this is in Dog House? :confused:

Karen
04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
She posted it in the Dog House herself, probably because that is where we put stories that may upset people.

Daisy and Delilah
04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Such a tragic event.:( I have wondered all day if we have any Pet Talkers or family members in the affected areas. My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody.:(

Carmen, I'm so glad your family is safe. You must be beside yourself with worry and concern. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Laura's Babies
04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Tell you family there we all wish them the best and a fast recovery, prayers for everyone effected.

blue
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
If I read that right most of the deaths where in an historical district? Is L'aquila a densely populated city?

Living in an earthquake prone area my thoughts go out to all affected by this quake and aftershocks.

blue
04-07-2009, 01:44 AM
No source but the USA GOV has only "donated" $50,000 to the rescue effort. After what we spent on bailouts, $50K is a microspeck on my moms big screen TV.
EDIT My source has a lot of Tinfoil Hatters.

beeniesmom
04-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts. :( :( :(

The prime minister of Italy confirmed 207 dead.

Yes, it was a densly populated area. Most historical areas in Italy are densly populated.

I just read that there was a second quake north of L'Aquila on Sunday in Bologna, a 4.6?

rosethecopycat
04-08-2009, 07:19 AM
My friend and her husband live in L'Aquila, only 6-7 miles from the epicenter.

Does anyone here have resources on how to find out about people affected there?

I have an address and phone number (which I have not tried- I'm told it's pretty senseless at this time) and an email (which I'm pretty sure is current)

I have an lady in Ligure trying to make some contact.

I just don't know how to try or what to do. I am so worried.

We visited them in 2004. She took us up to the small borgatas (villages) some of which were destroyed in previous earthquakes.

She is a professional violinist with the regional orchestra. He works in a bank and has twin (adult) sons.
They have 3 cats.

Their plan for May is to adopt a 10 year old Ethiopian boy.

PRAY that they are safe, and unaffected by the quake and that their plans are still in place.

Thanks,

Rose

beeniesmom
04-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi Rose,
I'm sorry about your friends living so close to where it happened.
I have no idea how to find out if they are ok.
You could try the phone number. You never know. It may work.
Let us know if you hear anything.
:(

moosmom
04-08-2009, 07:56 AM
They rescued this sweet little old lady from the rubble. Know what she did waiting to get found? Crocheted!!!!! I woulda been praying my a## off. Hey, to each his own. At least she's alive!!

lvpets2002
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
:) Yes I heard about the lady.. Isnt that something.. Such a happy ending.. The death toll is up to 260 now.. Oh its all so sad & tragic..
They rescued this sweet little old lady from the rubble. Know what she did waiting to get found? Crocheted!!!!! I woulda been praying my a## off. Hey, to each his own. At least she's alive!!

cassiesmom
04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I e-mailed Kittycats Delight. She is safe.

Thanks,
Elyse

cassiesmom
04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
No source but the USA GOV has only "donated" $50,000 to the rescue effort. After what we spent on bailouts, $50K is a microspeck on my moms big screen TV.

I wonder if the government expects agencies like the Red Cross, Samaritan's Purse, etc. to help and individual donors would give money to them??

Daisy and Delilah
04-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I just want to send more thoughts and prayers out for everybody there. It's so sad. I saw the little elderly lady too. Bless her.

I'm glad Michelle is safe. Thanks, Elyse.

beeniesmom
04-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks for emailing Michelle and letting us know that she is ok.

As for the 'donated' money from the US, it's really ok.
Italy was relatively prepared for something like this happening.
They have a really great 'forza civile' aka National Guard and enough funds set aside for the rescue and care efforts. They will however need money to rebuild but that will come with time.
If they needed $$$ aid, they would have said so.

rosethecopycat
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I have contacted the parents of my friend in L'Aquila.

The couple is safe.

It is just as I imagined it though.

They are living in their auto, waiting for their structure to be inspected. There are three cats inside and the husband sneaks in and feeds them.
He reports there are new cracks in the building (but at least it's still standing)

The mother has had a couple of cell phone calls from them, but that is about it. The couple knows no one injured or killed by the quake personally.

I don't know the status of their pending adoption of the son in Ethiopia.

I really admire my friend's devotion to her cats, as she does have a relative in Italy that they could travel to. Her mother doesn't understand why they won't go, she's not a pet person.
I understand perfectly why she cannot leave.

I hope their lives are not disrupted very much longer, but thank God they are safe.

Thanks for listening.

beeniesmom
04-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm glad your friends are ok. I hope thier home is habitable.