PDA

View Full Version : Went target shooting yesterday

jennielynn1970
04-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I just have to say, wow, what a rush!! My new boyfriend was an instructor for a group of kids that do target shooting, he was also a marine and had training in handling guns and all that good stuff.

He surprised me yesterday by taking me target shooting. I got to learn how to shoot a .45. What a freaking rush!!! I was GOOD too!! I was about 25 feet back, at least, and I was hitting hairspray cans and things as skinny as that! I think I shocked me and Dave, lol.

I think I'm going to like learning this!

Taz_Zoee
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I went to a shooting range YEARS ago and I loved it too. :D It is a rush. :)

Puckstop31
04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Woot! :) Glad you had fun.

FWIW, shooting at hair spray cans is not wise. When you tell you boyfriend guy this, he will probably call me a wuss. LOL But shooting at anything metal with jacketed ammo can be dangerous. Not to mention that hairspray cans can, well, explode. LOL

Put holes in paper... It's safer and adds the benefit of being able to take a pic and share your marksmanship with others. (read: woof it up at how good a shot you are.)

Again, glad you had fun! It is a hobby that can become addictive. Just when you think you are "good enough", you want to get better.

jennielynn1970
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
All the cans that were there already had holes in them, but I was wondering about the cans and exploding myself.

It was just really cool, and I can't wait to do it again! Want to learn more gun safety as well.

lvpets2002
04-06-2009, 12:24 PM
:) Well it sounds if you & this Gent are hitting it off very good.. So glad you had fun.. Yes it is fun & good for the pratice..

Puckstop31
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
All the cans that were there already had holes in them, but I was wondering about the cans and exploding myself.

It was just really cool, and I can't wait to do it again! Want to learn more gun safety as well.

OK, so they won't explode... :)

Let me explain more about the "jacketed ammo" thing. Jacketed ammo is when a (generally) lead bullet is coated with a copper alloy coating. There are a lot of reasons why this is done. Anyway, what can happen is the bullet is going really fast. It hits metal, thus slowing down really fast. The jacket can splinter and the splinters can fly off in all directions, including back at you. Injuries from this are more common at indoor ranges, but can happen outside... Especially at short range, like when using a pistol. Just a FYI.

Consider this a first safety lesson. Not THE first. That rule is set in stone. NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER point a firearm at anything you do not intend to destroy. EVER.

Have fun!

Donnaj4962
04-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh Jenn, I am so envious. My boyfriend goes shooting periodically with some of his buddies, and I keep asking to tag along. I grew up with my Dad hunting and there were always guns in the house. I just was never allowed to go with Dad. My bf keeps telling me that he will take me, and I am going to hold him to that!

JOKINGLY.... he called me one day and left me a voicemail telling me that he and his buddies were going target shooting and they were wondering if Tabby and Sasha could come along to be their moving targets! Believe me, he was only kidding! He knows how much I adore my girls! It was funny, but he knows not to joke about it again!

Have fun! And keep us posted on this new relationship! Sounds like a great guy!

Medusa
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
It is fun, isn't it? The last guy I dated belonged to our local gun club and he was a sharp shooter. He took me into the woods and I shot a 357 Magnum. I had the time of my life. We used paper targets and we also used beer cans. After reading Puckstop's post, I can see that shooting at beer cans probably wasn't a good idea but I had a blast. Glad you had fun.

Puckstop31
04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
It is fun, isn't it? The last guy I dated belonged to our local gun club and he was a sharp shooter. He took me into the woods and I shot a 357 Magnum. I had the time of my life. We used paper targets and we also used beer cans. After reading Puckstop's post, I can see that shooting at beer cans probably wasn't a good idea but I had a blast. Glad you had fun.

Shoot all the beer cans you want with unjacketed ammo. :) Most .22LR is unjacketed. I have fun "plinking" at beer cans with a .22.

But most centerfire handgun ammo is jacketed. Jacketed ammo will either say so, directly on the box... Or have a acronym, FMJ (Full Metal jacket) on it.

jennielynn1970
04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I had a casing, I think that's what it's called, bop me in the head twice yesterday, lol. I was like OW! I didn't think it would do that!

jennielynn1970
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Have fun! And keep us posted on this new relationship! Sounds like a great guy!

I just keep saying I'm amazed at how well things are going. He's such a nice guy, very down to earth, soft spoken a lot of the time, but funny and a great sense of humor. He accepts me for me, and that just makes such a difference. :love: I want to see myself thinner and healthier, and he is all for that, but also said he has no issue with my weight as it is.

We've got a lot in common, being from the same area growing up. We met when we were about 16 when we went roller skating at a local rink. We almost dated at one point, but another guy got in the way of things, and then he got married.

I think things happen for a reason. I know we never would have made it past a few months with the way my head was on back then. I was having emotional issues and not really dealing with them, and I think it would have ended badly. We're both older now and we both appreciate what we've each gone through.

I'm just enjoying what we have right now. I'm not holding my breath, because I don't like to have expectations, but something long term would be lovely.

I'll keep you guys up to date. :)

Husky_mom
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
hubby has been wanting to take me there sometimes but I'm nervous I mean I want to but I don't wanna end on my butt LOL... or with bruises in my shoulder... oh yeah that means BIG stuff

I'm so glad you had fun!

RICHARD
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
hubby has been wanting to take me there sometimes but I'm nervous I mean I want to but I don't wanna end on my butt LOL... or with bruises in my shoulder...

Get a tan first.;) Or tell people Chris Brown was at your house on the weekend?

---------

Gather milk jugs, fill them with water and food coloring.

That's wild!:D

Also, old fruit is good..

smokey the elder
04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I remember when I went shooting around 30 years ago with some buddies from college. I got to try all sorts of weapons. The folks I shot with were very safety conscious; we had hearing protection and goggles, and they admonished us of the "zeroth rule" (Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.) If more folks were responsible like that there wouldn't be the gun trouble that there is now.

kuhio98
04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I remember when I was a kid and shot a rifle for the first time and it knocked me on my a$$. My dad either forgot to tell me -- or I wasn't listening -- to butt it up against my shoulder.

I was on the rifle team in Middle School -- yes, I'm so old that schools actually had shooting teams. :p I am still a very good shot but don't get a chance to practice very often anymore.

Trinityagain
04-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I go every so often with my hubby. About the only thing I have a chance of hitting the target with is my .22 target pistol. Can not hit the broad side of a day glo orange elephant with anything else. Hubby's gun glub has a bunch of bowling pins that I shoot at sometimes. I love it! It is so much fun when you hit them right and they spin like the bad guy falling off the saloon roof in the cowboy movies....

And being a Civil War re-enactor I also know how to fire a cannon...talk about a RUSH!!!

RICHARD
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
The next time anyone goes target shooting think about what those SEALs had to work with before they saved the Captain of that freighter.

A place to shoot from that is moving

A moving target

Three shots that have to be hit.

Distance, wind, sun?

----------

There is nothing more satisfying than making a long distance target.

Range shooting is fun, but rifle distance makes you feel like god.

Cinder & Smoke
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Can not hit the broad side of a day glo orange elephant ...

Those suckkers are hard to hit! :p

Have you tried with the CANNON ?? :eek:

:D

Puckstop31
04-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Those suckkers are hard to hit! :p

Have you tried with the CANNON ?? :eek:

:D

Well, I was a tank crewman.... ;) Tank Table 8 requires a 2500+ meter shot, a moving target while the tank is in motion. Granted, we have a laser range finder, fully stabilized guns and a 12 lb projectile going 1672 meters/second. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Puckstop31/BrianGunner.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Puckstop31/Brian_Buttons_04_8x6.jpg

/chest thumping

RICHARD
04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, I was a tank crewman.... ;) Tank Table 8 requires a 2500+ meter shot, a moving target while the tank is in motion. Granted, we have a laser range finder, fully stabilized guns and a 12 lb projectile going 1672 meters/second. :)

But, I want to know how you get the Day Glo Elephant tied to the 'hood' of an M-1, where you dress it and what does it REALLY taste like?:confused:

Puckstop31
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
But, I want to know how you get the Day Glo Elephant tied to the 'hood' of an M-1, where you dress it and what does it REALLY taste like?:confused:

Never shot a elephant with it... LOL Had a camel or two in my sights before. Tempting, but no. They look cool in a thermal sight. The hump is much cooler than the rest of the body. But I reckon that makes sense.

But I HAVE driven through, yes THROUGH a cow before. It was at night and we were hugging a treeline, moving pretty fast, for a tank, like 25-30 mph. Anyway, the drivers night sight on a M1 is a "green screen" optical image night sight. So it was hard to see well as it was a overcast night. I saw it at the VERY last second.

WHAT....A....MESS. 71 ton armored vehicle meets 1.5-2 ton animal. Not pretty.

Private Beakes got a big arse chewing for that. Like it was MY fault the farmer did not close his gate. LOL

RICHARD
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
WHAT....A....MESS. 71 ton armored vehicle meets 1.5-2 ton animal. Not pretty.

Private Beakes got a big arse chewing for that. Like it was MY fault the farmer did not close his gate. LOL

I can imagine the jokes after that!

Who ended up being the "scrape goat"?:rolleyes::confused::eek:

I bet that was your last "drive thru burger"?

Puckstop31
04-14-2009, 09:26 PM
I can imagine the jokes after that!

Who ended up being the "scrape goat"?:rolleyes::confused::eek:

I bet that was your last "drive thru burger"?

Its a family show... So use your imagination. LOL

The whole crew shared in that joy. 3 hours on the wash rack.

Last burger... But we had some venison and pulled pork from suicidal animals on the range. LOL Them hogs in southern Germany are BIG. LOL

RICHARD
04-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Last burger... But we had some venison and pulled pork from suicidal animals on the range. LOL Them hogs in southern Germany are BIG. LOL

Sorry Dr. Kervorkian wasn't around to help you!:confused:;)