PDA

View Full Version : What to do for a cat that doesn't like treats?

Medusa
04-05-2009, 04:51 PM
My Specs just does not like treats; no Greenies, nothing. Today was claw clipping day and I give each furkid a Greenie after clipping but Specs turns his nose up at it. I've tried just about every kind of treat that I can think of. Do any of your cats dislike treats and, if so, how do you reward them besides saying "Good boy/girl!"? I never used to give treats but I felt like a bad cat mom because everyone else seems to do it. He was a pretty good boy today, not the usual antics when clipping claws, and I felt bad that everyone got a treat except him. (In this pic, it looks like he has 4 ears because Boo is behind him. LOL)

moosmom
04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't waste your time, theirs, and more important YOUR $$$$. I learned the hard way that the only ones they WILL eat is Whiska Lickins.

ChrisH
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
My Ebbs is not one for cat treats either, the one exception being Whiskas Temptations but she will sometimes turn her nose up at those too. A little piece of chicken or ham is always welcomed with much enthusiasm though. :D

Medusa
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Tried the Whiska Lickin's, Donna, to no avail. Maybe I'll keep some Buddig turkey meat on hand. Puddy used to love that; maybe Specs will, too.

catmandu
04-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Scrappy 2 doesnt like treats either , but loves Armstrong Old Cheddar Cheese.
And Miquelito the Little Orange Lion , Pouncierge the Precious and Juke Joint Joseph all like the slices I get when I but the Deli Meat Ends I buy at 2 dollars a pound over the much pricier Whiska Temptations about 7.5 a pound and not as nutritous.
:eek::eek::eek:

moosmom
04-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Oh now, fresh turkey is a totally different thing!! My cats won't leave me alone they love it so much. Mollie Rose has her breakfast of scrambled egg with cheese and turkey in it. If I don't make it for her, there is hell to pay.:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
04-05-2009, 06:04 PM
The only time Edwina likes treat is if she see Eddie eating them.:rolleyes:

But tuna? Turkey? Arby's Roast Beef? Now you're talking!

Laura's Babies
04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I give mine canned food as a treat. Only about 1/2 teaspoon. Now and then I give them a regular treat, some will eat it, some will not.

columbine
04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Smudge is allergic to most treats, but he enjoys Kitty Kaviar bonito (fish) flakes or, if you'll believe it, Vitamin E! I learned when I was trying to put some on an ouchie on his face, and he finally managed to explain to me that the TONGUE is where it belongs. I just puncture the capsule with a pushpin, squeeze it onto my finger, and let him lick it off. It's totally safe - I looked it up and double-checked with my vet.

Love, Columbine

3Catcondo
04-05-2009, 08:03 PM
One of my kitties, Bailey, does not eat treats, but he loves shredded cheese. He gets a small pinch of cheese for a treat. He comes running into the kitchen when he hears the bag rattling. :)

Craftlady
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Purina Wiskers Lickens (crab flavor) are my gangs favorite. Poor Eleanor when she eats to many has soft poops. She never liked any treats until these. Stephen screams/begs for them when we are sitting down for a meal at the table. While we eat, I toss treats on the floor and watch 4 cats run for them. ;)

Taz_Zoee
04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I never gave Taz treats until a fellow PTer (I believe it was Katie) sent me Whiska's Temptations. And I had read about how much the found cats loved it and so did he. Now he gets Greenies. Today we had some freebies at the shelter and I just gave Taz and Paizly some of those and they love them too. I can't remember what they are and the dining room is too far away from me right now. :p

Before I started giving these treats the only "treat" Taz got was tuna when I had to give him medicine. But when your cat weighs 21 1/2lbs, treats is not recommended. ;) That's why he gets some each day now, my Mr Skinny. :)

happylabs
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Buddy likes little bites of cheese or natural turkey lunch meat.

GILL
04-06-2009, 09:42 AM
welcome to my world. You would think that with our CREW some would like at lest some of the cat treats. We have tried all from home made, organic, greenies, and every thing in between. Once in a while one of them will eat 1 or 2 but for the most part NO WAY. Small bits of turkey, ham, roast beef, and chasse will work or in Lucky's case BBQ potato chips. but even then just a couple of small pieces.
To make it worst I have a friend at work that buy’s treats for them all the time. At any given time I usually have 6-10 packets in the house. All the neighbor hood cats love me.

sasvermont
04-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Mary, I have tried treats with my cats and found that for the most part, they ate them quickly and then......you guessed it.....barfed them up on the carpets.

Now, the only treat they get, when I remember to give them, is the Cranberry treat....they don't seem to get sick from them.... I think they eat them more slowly than the Wisker Lickins etc.

My two Abys are skinny as all get out but Lucy, well, she is a bit over weight. Lucy is a lap cat - but does go outside in the summer and drops a little weight then.... but she will never be as fast and lean as the two Abys.

I don't think cats need treats to tell you the truth. Dogs need them, I suspect, but in general, my cats get treats each day by licking a plate or two, or drinking from my milk glass when I am not looking.

Miley, one of my RB cats would open cabinet doors and bring treats to me, to feed to her. Sometimes it was a stick of butter, sometimes it was herbs in a plastic bag....sometimes an opened can of cat food with saran wrap on it.....but I always thought she could have opened the items herself, but needed me to give it to her for attention!

I wouldn't worry about the treat thing.

Also, I learned years ago, to feed my cats wet food in the evening and never in the morning. That way they don't wake you up each day, wanting food. I get to sleep in whenever I want! So many people feed their cats when they get up in the morning.....creating an alarm clock with four paws!
:confused:

pomtzu
04-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Mary - have you tried popcorn? My RB Meezer Ming would go absolutely bonkers over it! Of course he was rather a goofy guy anyway, since he just loved licking Bengay off of people that had used it! :eek:

Medusa
04-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Mary - have you tried popcorn? My RB Meezer Ming would go absolutely bonkers over it! Of course he was rather a goofy guy anyway, since he just loved licking Bengay off of people that had used it! :eek:

No, I haven't tried that but I doubt that I will. I hate popcorn, can't even stand the smell of it, so I don't buy it. Specs just doesn't like treats, period, so I'll give him a little bit of Buddig chicken or turkey meat. He'll eat that, I'm sure. :)

GILL
04-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I agree iI don't worry about the treats. Like sasvermont we let them clean our plates and thats about it. There are 6 mixed dry food bowls around the house at all times. We mix 3-4 differant foods. Some have hair ball meds and the kids seem to prefer these. Except Demetri he has to be the frist when a plate hits the floor, even from up stairs.
Before our RB Missy loved yellow corn and RB Patchies went crazy for water mellon & green string beens.

Randi
04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I can understand how you feel about it, but Specs probably don't care whether he gets treats or not. ;) However, you could try Royal Canin's S/O Sensitive - Fister loves them, so I give them as treats. Have you tried raw fish? Plaice, cod or shrimps, and Fister arrives in the kitchen in two seconds, even if he's fast asleep 3 rooms away. He will also eat grated Parmesan or boiled corn, and of course a slice of ham. :p

Medusa
04-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Have you tried raw fish? Plaice, cod or shrimps, and Fister arrives in the kitchen in two seconds, even if he's fast asleep 3 rooms away.

Fister sounds like Coco Puff. Shrimp is not safe in this house, believe me. I doubt that Specs would even be able to get near it if Coco smelled it. LOL

RedHedd
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Goldie never got the concept of treats, so I just gave her extra loving and more toys. She never complained in over 15 years.