PDA

View Full Version : A giant step backward

smokey the elder
04-05-2009, 07:54 AM
We have neglected Afghanistan to our own peril and to the women therein. http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/04/afghanistan.womens.rights/index.html While the Muslim world allows such abominations to stand, that faith will continue to lack credibility among many westerners.

moosmom
04-05-2009, 08:07 AM
The way the Afghans treat their women is despicable. It's barbaric that they make them cover their entire bodies. It's sad that the Afghan women aren't allowed to stand up for themselves.

Karen
04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I would not say Afghanistan has been "neglected" - but that it was not properly attended to - our troops are not unlimited, nor are our resources, and choices were made where to send both, how many and how much ... it is a complex situation. Not neglected, but badly handled, in my opinion. You cannot send in one soldier - no matter how brave and stalwart and skilled - to do the job of a platoon.

caseysmom
04-05-2009, 12:45 PM
If anyone wants to get po'd about afghanastan read "A thousand splendid suns"

Catty1
04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
We've lost 116 people there...and troops are needed to even protect the humanitarian missions...

I hear the government is "reviewing" the laws. Sheesh, what's the point of getting rid of the Taliban if this crap is going to be law???

Edwina's Secretary
04-06-2009, 10:02 AM
The women of Afghanistan have never been the focus of US action. Just not very strategic.

Before 9/11 - but after the US government armed the mullahs - there were people trying to raise awareness of the plight of these women. Jay Leno's wife has been at it a long time and my aunt was involved through her church. Mavis Leno has been very involved in an organization to help Afghanistan women since 1997.

http://www.feminist.org/afghan/aboutcampaign.asp

One in 6 Afghan women die in childbirth. This organization is working to train midwives to reduce those numbers as well as improve the lives of these women in other ways.