PDA

View Full Version : Did I Help At All?!?

lexie
09-24-2002, 12:28 AM
I RESCUED A LITTER OF SIX KITTENS ABOUT 7 MONTHS AGO. THEY WERE MEAN AND VERY INFESTED WITH FLEAS,SKINNY. I TOOK THEM HOME.AND NURSED THEM BACK TO HEALTH.I FOUND THEM ALL NEW HOMES.TWO OF THEM ORANGE AND WHITE MALES.I GAVE THEM TO A FAMILY WITH 4 KIDS,AND ABOUT 10 OTHER UNFIXED ANIMALS.ALL THE CATS THEY HAVE ARE FEMALES.THE TWO MALES WERE GOING TO GET FIXED.INSTEAD THEY GOT PUT OUTSIDE AS SOON AS THEY WERE OLD ENOUGH TO PRODUCE MORE KITTENS.THEY ARE LITTER TRAINED,LOVABLE AND NOT VERY HEALTHY.THEY LET THEM GET SICK AND NEAVER TOOK THEM TO THE VET.I HATE FOR THEM TO GO OUTSIDE.I TRIED SO HARD TO FIND THEM HOMES SO THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO LIVE OUTSIDE.WAS IT EVEN WORTH ALL THE HARD WORK OF BRINGING THEM HOME AND THEN PUTTING THEM BACK OUTSIDE?

toughCookie
09-24-2002, 01:31 AM
I know it is discouraging. but yes I should think it is worth it, the 2 got to a wrong home, but think of the ones you helped!! and even with those 2, you did your very best. you were wonderful to care for them, and do all that you did. things happen sometimes that are disappointing, but there are rewards too! how about finding other people in your area that care for animals too? you would have others to talk to. a local shelter could probably use your help, or fostering animals is a good thing to do too.

as for the people that neglect the cats, you should call the humane society on them. really, it is animal abuse to treat them like that!.
please post an update on this when you decide what to do.

AmberLee
09-24-2002, 01:41 AM
:( How discouraging for you. If I understand you correctly, the family you placed them with promised they would get the boys neutered and then didn't. And they made the boys outdoor cats instead of indoor only which they'd promised you?

:rolleyes: Possibly, due to the adopting family's not following through on their word, you didn't have a real effect on these two boys other than giving them a home. What about the other two in the litter? Are their lives better as a result of your intervention?

Several of the members here that do rescue or raise litters have a contract they have the adopting familys sign before they release their babies. Maybe that would help you in the future?

It's tough to put so much time, effort, love, and all into helping a furkid and feel it's for nothing. Please don't let it stop you from acting in the future. You might just want to put a bit more into the evaluation of the offered home next time.

I've got a soft spot for orange tabbies myself. [Okay, I know they are red, but they look orange to me. ;) ] It must hurt to see them getting so much less than you were promised.

maya
09-24-2002, 05:30 AM
You did the right thing to do saving them.

I am usually very skeptic about adopters. I talk with them and ask a lot of questions and sign them over a form, drafted by on e of the shelters. If the cat is not sterilized and vaccinated yet, they must be oblige to do so within a fixed timeframe. It is also important to collect some kind of participation in expenses or to collect the money for prepayment for the vet who will sterilize the cat – people who would not agree – will probably won’t invest in their cat. Nevertheless, you can never be sure in 100%, but you know you gave them a chance.

Can you take them back and find a new home for them? Or at least talking with that family explaining the importance of sterilizing their pets (maybe written articles) and drew their attention to the health of the cats?

:confused:

lexie
09-24-2002, 08:38 AM
yes,i can take them back. should i though? because what if the people get mad.how can i do it without them finding out?
sneaky:cool:

moosmom
09-24-2002, 10:30 AM
Lexie,

I also agree with everyone here. You did the right thing. I've rescued MANY cats and kittens and because I do not trust people to have them spayed or neutered, I'd take them to low cost spay/neuter clinics and have it done myself. I would ALWAYS ask an adoption fee of whatever it is I paid out to have these pets fixed and all shots. I would show the perspective adopters the bills so they know exactly what the expenses were.

Don't feel bad, Lexie. I once rescued 3 feral kittens from a tree and spent weeks socializing them. One of the guards where I used to work showed an interest in adopting one of the kittens for his son. He ASSURED me he would have him fixed. Well, to make a long story short, not only did he NOT fix him, he let him out and the cat ran away. He lied through his teeth and said the cat was with his neighbor who had since moved to NY. I was furious and demanded to physically see the cat to make sure he was okay. He wouldn't allow it. I was devastated. To this day I still think about that poor little baby that I worked so hard to socialize. But I learned from my mistake and now I trust no one.

I would definitely try and get the cats back, even if you have to kidnap them at night. Those people sound like a reall bag of @#$holes.

Sorry this is so long. :(

lexie
09-24-2002, 10:56 AM
they really are bad people.i will go this coming sat. and get them.i can't go until then.
thanx for all the support.:)

moosmom
09-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Lexie,

Good luck! It might be better if you took a friend with you. Let us know how you make out.

lexie
09-24-2002, 11:28 AM
i will let you know.

toughCookie
09-24-2002, 12:15 PM
I totally agree, take them back! good luck. but still try the humane society, those people should be reported!

09-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Of course you did well !!! Wish there were more people like you !

Please try to rescue these two kittens from those mean people !
Let us know how it went , okay ?!
I wish you good luck !!! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/natur/natur010.gif

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2002, 11:00 PM
I also agree that you did the right thing in saving the kittens lives and caring for them. I would also take the 2 kittens away from that family. Please let us know the results. Good luck. :)

lexie
09-25-2002, 11:13 AM
yes i will let you know how it goes.:) :(

NoahsMommy
09-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Lexie,

I'm looking forward to hearing how your second rescue went. I am so glad you have such a kind heart for these kittens, they really need you. You should be very proud of yourself.

Take care,
Kelly :)