PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Obama and Queen Elizabeth

cassiesmom
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
It sounds to me like whoever advised Mrs. Obama regarding the trip to England, missed the mark on this one ... she acted overly familiar with Queen Elizabeth. Maybe she was just very excited about meeting her. The Obamas gave her an iPod that contained photos and video from her trip to Virginia. A thoughtful gift, yes, but in an iPod? (I heard on the news that the Queen's grandchildren have already given her an iPod - I wonder what's on it?)

And I think this outfit is a rare Mrs. Obama don't... (the First Lady's, not the student)
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2009-04-02-michelleargyle.jpg

Karen
04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I bet the outfit looks better when she's standing than it does in that photo. I haven't seen any of the news coverage.

Grace
04-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I heard on the news tonight that the Queen didn't get her knickers in a knot over this. It was said that the Queen actually touched Mrs. Obama first.

As for the gifts - what do you give to the woman who has everything?

Much ado about nothing.

sparks19
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I heard on the news tonight that the Queen didn't get her knickers in a knot over this. It was said that the Queen actually touched Mrs. Obama first.

As for the gifts - what do you give to the woman who has everything?

Much ado about nothing.

You give her corgi stuff of course :D they are the "queens dogs" afterall. lol

I don't know. I should ask my grandmother what she thinks. she's hardcore old english and you best not disrespect the queen in her presence lol

Grace
04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't know. I should ask my grandmother what she thinks. she's hardcore old english and you best not disrespect the queen in her presence lol

"This was a mutual and spontaneous display of affection and appreciation between the queen and Michelle Obama," a palace spokeswoman said.

Laura's Babies
04-02-2009, 10:45 PM
They said on the morning news that the ipod with the video of her trip to the US was what she asked for.. They said you are not suppose to touch the queen, no matter what and the queen touched her so she probably assumed it was alright to touch the queen... I think Mrs. O was just trying to be nice and you know she had to be excited about meeting the queen... Who wouldn't?

sparks19
04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
"This was a mutual and spontaneous display of affection and appreciation between the queen and Michelle Obama," a palace spokeswoman said.

sorry... i wasn't really making a comment on what happened in their meeting. I didn't see it or read about it. It was more just a silly comment about my old english grandmother. Just a joke

Medusa
04-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I saw "the touch" on TV; Mrs. Obama lightly touched the Queen on her back and no matter what anyone says, the Queen visibly bristled and looked at Mrs. Obama as if to say "What are you doing?" Yes, it's a breach of etiquette to touch the Queen no matter if the Queen touched her first but c'mon, it wasn't done w/malice. Mrs. Obama was just being friendly and probably was excited at meeting the Queen of England. When one makes a gesture like that, it's purely innocent. Mrs. Obama is under the microscope and, unfortunately, will be judged on absolutely everything she says and does. Can you imagine making the news because you made a friendly gesture towards someone and are now being criticized for it?

Pam
04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
You give her corgi stuff of course :D they are the "queens dogs" afterall. lol

Good idea Sparks! :) .... although I doubt that the queen has quite the relationship with her dogs that us PTers do. :)

Honestly, who is the queen that someone should not touch her. :rolleyes: As for Mrs. Obama's outfits, well let's just say that if I were her I would hire myself a new fashion coordinator. :p That outfit was just horrible. :eek: Jackie Kennedy she isn't. :)

Medusa
04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Honestly, who is the queen that someone should not touch her.

It's an old custom which began more for security reasons than anything. She's the head of state and I certainly wouldn't touch President Obama or any president unless he extended his hand to me first. Actually, to be overly familiar w/anyone after having just met them is, IMO, bad etiquette. There's an awful lot of hugging, etc. that goes on today that needn't, although it, too, is a friendly gesture. But, as I said, Mrs. Obama certainly wasn't threatening in any way. :)

Killearn Kitties
04-03-2009, 09:29 AM
It's funny, but of all the news reports I have heard surrounding the G20, I have not heard a single report here of this incident. I have seen footage of the meeting and the pair of them having their photos taken, arms touching backs, and there was no comment on it whatsoever.

Mrs Obama was visiting a girls school when she wore the dress. Perhaps she thought something less formal was called for than your average head of state kind of thing. I thought she looked great in it, and it was such a beautiful colour. I've just hear an interview with the editor of Vogue who absolutely loved it.

Medusa
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
It's funny, but of all the news reports I have heard surrounding the G20, I have not heard a single report here of this incident. I have seen footage of the meeting and the pair of them having their photos taken, arms touching backs, and there was no comment on it whatsoever.

Mrs Obama was visiting a girls school when she wore the dress. Perhaps she thought something less formal was called for than your average head of state kind of thing. I thought she looked great in it, and it was such a beautiful colour. I've just hear an interview with the editor of Vogue who absolutely loved it.

No matter what she wears, it's all a matter of taste and someone isn't going to like it and others will love it. It's all inconsequential to me. It isn't as though she wore hot pants or a micro mini. LOL First they found fault w/her sleeveless dresses. If I had her well toned arms, I'd wear sleeveless dresses, too. So it's informal, so what. Fashion is as individual as we are. If that's all they can criticize, I'd say she's doing alright. :)

gini
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
What I read yesterday is that the palace was very quick in putting out a statement that stopped the media in their tracks (tracks of mud).

I also read that it was the Queen who made the first gesture and Michelle responded in an affectionate way. Everybody lived!!

As for the dress - it isn't one of my favorites - but she wears bright colors so well.

It occurred to me yesterday that I should be paying attention to what her husband is doing and saying - not to what Michelle is wearing!:D

lvpets2002
04-03-2009, 11:40 AM
:) I saw everything with most Gracefullness & upmost Respectfullness..

lizbud
04-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Agreed.:) Did you see the film clip of Mrs. Obama's talk to the girls at
their school. She was a little overcome with emotion & teared up at one
point. The school girls were overcome with meeting her in person.:)
Clearly the emotion was mutual.:)

momoffuzzyfaces
04-03-2009, 12:32 PM
It reminded me of someone hugging an elder person they were fond of. I would have been tempted to do the same thing. The Queen is just so darn cute, you want to hug her. :D Besides, she hugged back not said "off with her head". :D

Pam
04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
It's an old custom which began more for security reasons than anything.

Our local news stated out last night.....stay tuned for Mrs. Obama's *faux pas.* When I heard what it was I was like......:rolleyes: I thought, geez the queen puts her pantyhose on one leg at a time like the rest of us. :p I have a hard time with people being treated like they are different than any of us common folks. I can understand the security end of it though.

I still say that her dress was horrible. It reminded me of something that my mother put me in when I was in third grade. I do feel sorry for her because everything she does or says will be put under the microscope. She or her girls should not be the focus anyway - of course the media sees it differently.

Logan
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I actually think Michelle Obama can wear just about anything and look lovely. She is a fashion designer's dream. Pam, I don't like the full skirt, but the color is terrific on her. She has grown on me since she has gotten more public exposure, not that I ever disliked her.
I think the IPod with the Broadway tunes and the video clips was a marvelous idea! Wonder what creative mind thinks up all that stuff?

pomtzu
04-03-2009, 01:15 PM
The dress that she wore to the school, did look like a schoolgirl dress, and not at all flattering to Mrs Obama, tho I suppose it was appropriate for the occasion. She has such a classic figure and can wear most anything and look good. I think that outfit was the exception tho.
But really - what difference does it make - other than to give everyone (me included) something to talk about. Good grief - sometimes I can't believe that I can be this petty. Like I'm a real fashion guru in my sweatshirt and jeans! :eek:

Pam
04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
The dress that she wore to the school, did look like a schoolgirl dress, and not at all flattering to Mrs Obama, tho I suppose it was appropriate for the occasion. She has such a classic figure and can wear most anything and look good. I think that outfit was the exception tho.
But really - what difference does it make - other than to give everyone (me included) something to talk about. Good grief - sometimes I can't believe that I can be this petty. Like I'm a real fashion guru in my sweatshirt and jeans! :eek:

Couldn't agree more. ;)

Killearn Kitties
04-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Did you see the film clip of Mrs. Obama's talk to the girls at
point. The school girls were overcome with meeting her in person.:)
Clearly the emotion was mutual.:)

I did. Those girls are going to remember that day for the rest of their lives. They were so excited. I hope they heard the message too about the importance of a good education. :D

sparks19
04-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I still say that her dress was horrible. It reminded me of something that my mother put me in when I was in third grade. I do feel sorry for her because everything she does or says will be put under the microscope. She or her girls should not be the focus anyway - of course the media sees it differently.

it is pretty silly. But that's always the way. the first family (or even those in the running to be first family) are put under a microscope and everything they do is analyzed and printed as if it's the most horrible thing EVER.

I'm sure she was prepared for it. I hope they will at least leave the daughters alone. I have seen how some of the past presidents daughters have been scrutinized and it's unfair. these are just children :(

sparks19
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM

yeah I am a walking fashion faux pas lol. I did like her blue argyle sweater though :D just not the skirt really.

I say... as I sit behind the computer in a gray t shirt with piggies on it that is about 12 years old and pink camoflauge (oxymoron?) PJ pants and crocs lol

pomtzu
04-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I say... as I sit behind the computer in a gray t shirt with piggies on it that is about 12 years old and pink camoflauge (oxymoron?) PJ pants and crocs lol

Oh - I hear ya! I'd be dressed like you today if I hadn't had to dress up (jeans & sweatshirt!) to go out! Hey - that's a perk of retirement. The pay sucks, but I can deal with the rest. I paid my dues with the nice dressing everyday when I was working my office job for years and years and years........... :p

Medusa
04-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Oh - I hear ya! I'd be dressed like you today if I hadn't had to dress up (jeans & sweatshirt!) to go out! Hey - that's a perk of retirement. The pay sucks, but I can deal with the rest. I paid my dues with the nice dressing everyday when I was working my office job for years and years and years........... :p

I still love to dress up and I was quite the fashion plate at one time but budget restraints now prevent me from purchasing the clothes I want, so I prefer to stay away from the shops. Thank goodness I'm not under a microscope!

pomtzu
04-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I still love to dress up and I was quite the fashion plate at one time but budget restraints now prevent me from purchasing the clothes I want, so I prefer to stay away from the shops. Thank goodness I'm not under a microscope!

I love the not having to part of it, and just doing it when I want to - which isn't very often!!! The last time I was really, really dressed up, is when my son got married again - and that was almost 2 years ago. I got rid of most of my "work wardrobe" since it was just taking up room in my closet. I kept some, but not much!
If the weather ever warms up, I'll be back to my summer wardrobe of capris, tank tops, and sandals (and an occasional sun dress!) YAY!!!:D

lvpets2002
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
:) I like to get Dressy Dressy from time to time.. However the older I get the more Casual I am as well.. I happen to like my jeans & sweatshirts with Cats on them..:D

Medusa
04-03-2009, 03:26 PM
When I was a teenager, Jackie Kennedy was in the white house, so I wore little white leather gloves and a pillbox hat. Loved it! I don't necessarily like wearing formal clothes but I do like to wear skirts and I wore them more often than not when I was working outside my home. Then I dated a biker for a few years and my wardrobe consisted mainly of jeans and chaps. LOL

cassiesmom
04-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Did you see the film clip of Mrs. Obama's talk to the girls at
point. The school girls were overcome with meeting her in person.
Clearly the emotion was mutual.

I didn't, but I heard about it on news radio. I wonder if it is on youTube or elsewhere on the Internet. It sounded like a day those students will always look back on.

I guess I'm sort of a permanent fashion "don't". There is a line in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where Tula calls herself "frump girl", and that's me. It has gotten worse since I broke my ankle, because most days my ankle swells up so much that I'm afraid to wear skirts.

sparks19
04-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I didn't, but I heard about it on news radio. I wonder if it is on youTube or elsewhere on the Internet. It sounded like a day those students will always look back on.

I guess I'm sort of a permanent fashion "don't". There is a line in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where Tula calls herself "frump girl", and that's me. It has gotten worse since I broke my ankle, because most days my ankle swells up so much that I'm afraid to wear skirts.

Oh ouch... that sounds terrible.

My frump has gotten worse since my butt swelled :eek: :D

Grace
04-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I like that she often wears things that the rest of us could wear - if we chose to do so. I've purchased from J.Crew in the past.

Personally, I liked the outfit she wore to the school. The only thing she's worn that I was so-so about was the Inaugural Ball gown. To me, it looked kind of junior-promish.

sparks19
04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
well ... anyone know where she got that blue argyle sweater? I'm not big on the skirt but I love that sweater :D and do they sell it in my size lol

caseysmom
04-04-2009, 09:14 PM
I like the sweater too sparks...not sure about my size either...but hey today for my birthday I splurged...bought a I.N.C. little 3/4 lenght sleeve black sweatshirt with peace signs and love on it...really hippie chic it was 79.00 bucks way more than I normally would spend and a tie die top to match...top is longer than sweat shirt...who says I am not hip?

Wait till Hannah helps you pick your clothers!

Puckstop31
04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I like the sweater too sparks...not sure about my size either...but hey today for my birthday I splurged...bought a I.N.C. little 3/4 lenght sleeve black sweatshirt with peace signs and love on it...really hippie chic it was 79.00 bucks way more than I normally would spend and a tie die top to match...top is longer than sweat shirt...who says I am not hip?

Wait till Hannah helps you pick your clothers!

If I play my cards right, Hannah will want to shop for her at Bass Pro. ;)

I mean, we have pics of Hannah at 6 months in a full camo onsie. Complete with lace frill and a bow!!! LOL

You can take the redneck out of the woods, but ya can't take the woods out of the redneck.

:D:cool:

caseysmom
04-04-2009, 09:23 PM
If I play my cards right, Hannah will want to shop for her at Bass Pro. ;)

I mean, we have pics of Hannah at 6 months in a full camo onsie. Complete with lace frill and a bow!!! LOL

You can take the redneck out of the woods, but ya can't take the woods out of the redneck.

:D:cool:

With you as her Dad I could definetely see that! Poor boy that falls for that girl! Well lucky guy maybe she won't be high maintenance.:D

Puckstop31
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
With you as her Dad I could definetely see that! Poor boy that falls for that girl! Well lucky guy maybe she won't be high maintenance.:D

I just pray, everyday, that I do the right things. I know that she will form a lot of her world view from how I act. I am loud, I swear too much and often too judgemental. When we are out and about, especially wi her in the car seat, I catch myself saying things to other drivers I should not. Its a humbling moment. :(

I don't want her to be like me... Except when it comes to embracing liberty.

Poor boy indeed. LOL Especially the first one. Do I get to claim temporay insanity? First date w/ first daughter HAS to be eligible for a insanity defence, eh? LOL :)

Look for me coming to you for advice when we get there. :D

sparks19
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I just pray, everyday, that I do the right things. I know that she will form a lot of her world view from how I act. I am loud, I swear too much and often too judgemental. When we are out and about, especially wi her in the car seat, I catch myself saying things to other drivers I should not. Its a humbling moment. :(

Poor boy indeed. LOL Especially the first one. Do I get to claim temporay insanity? First date w/ first daughter HAS to be eligible for a insanity defence, eh? LOL :)

Luckily he has a level headed mild tempered wife to balance him out. not to toot my own horn or anything though lol

AND I am low maintenence :D VERY low. hahaha

Pembroke_Corgi
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I think the Obamas should have gotten the queen something cute for her corgis! The queen has about 10 corgis that go with her everywhere. :)

caseysmom
04-04-2009, 09:48 PM
We all make mistakes, as long as your heart is in the right place you'll do fine, you are a family guy and thats what she needs the most. I swear in the car too much myself, my youngest daughter would not swear to save her life.

Hey by the time Hannah is a teen I may be a grandma:D I will happy to tell you what to do...I mean give you advice:D

My youngest hasn't had a first boyfriend yet, I guess some nerdy boy brought a wheelbarrow to school with cinnamon rolls and was going to see if he could "take her buns to prom" she cut him off at the pass, had a friend tell him she was going with someone else...which wasn't true. I felt kind of bad for him...even though it sounds gross to me I think from a teens perspective it took him a lot of courage to do that and then get shot down. She is one tough cookie to crack...I am glad though, she always says she won't tolerate what her sister does in a guy.

Puckstop31
04-04-2009, 09:53 PM

Word.

All I gotta do is keep her fed and online. ;)

caseysmom
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Luckily he has a level headed mild tempered wife to balance him out. not to toot my own horn or anything though lol

Yeah I kinda noticed that about you, Brian is a very lucky man indeed.

Puckstop31
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
We all make mistakes, as long as your heart is in the right place you'll do fine, you are a family guy and thats what she needs the most. life.

Thank you. :) I do my best. That saying, " a baby changes everything" is VERY, VERY true. That little girl just lights up my life. Far and away, after my marriage, the best thing in my life.

Hey by the time Hannah is a teen I may be a grandma:D I will happy to tell you what to do...I mean give you advice:D

LOL... Get in line. My Mom is exactly that way. But I will certainly cherish any advice you offer.

My youngest hasn't had a first boyfriend yet, I guess some nerdy boy brought a wheelbarrow to school with cinnamon rolls and was going to see if he could "take her buns to prom" she cut him off at the pass, had a friend tell him she was going with someone else...which wasn't true. I felt kind of bad for him...even though it sounds gross to me I think from a teens perspective it took him a lot of courage to do that and then get shot down. She is one tough cookie to crack...I am glad though, she always says she won't tolerate what her sister does in a guy.

LOL... Lucky you. You must have done something right....

We should be coming out late March, early April next year. Prom season. ;) Just holler if you want to cash in your birthday present. LOL

Puckstop31
04-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah I kinda noticed that about you, Brian is a very lucky man indeed.

No BS.... I KNOW it. And cherish it. Easy like Sunday morning she is.

:love:

Killearn Kitties
04-05-2009, 02:28 AM
well ... anyone know where she got that blue argyle sweater?
I see my chance to sound fabulously well informed. It looked like a Jason Wu to me.
(The Editor of Vogue said so.)

Medusa
04-05-2009, 06:03 AM

Do what my dad would do when a boy would arrive to pick me up for a date; Dad would be sharpening his knives and he'd ask "You will get her home by midnight, right?" LOL He swore that he didn't do it on purpose, that he sharpened his knives daily. Right. On one date, the boy's car actually did get a flat tire and this was before cell phones, of course, and we were on a long dark road that led to the local hangout when it happened. He changed the tire but it made us late and he said "I need to stop in Bob's Big Boy and wash up before I take you home" and I said "No! Leave all the dirt on your hands. Are you crazy?" When we showed up at my place, he walked in w/his hands up like someone had a gun pointed at him. LMAO! I often think about that night and wonder if he laughs about it, too.

ChrisH
04-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Here it is. 'Tis lovely. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/wub.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mdOIbAtSg
Another one, what a lovely lady she is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fyviiy1rhg&feature=related

As for the cardi, not everyone liked it. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/snips/cardie.jpg
from
Mrs Obama sparks frenzy among adoring schoolgirls (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1166911/Michelles-masterclass-hugs-Mrs-Obama-sparks-frenzy-adoring-schoolgirls.html)

Killearn Kitties
04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
So you are telling me I was mis-informed about the cardi designer, Chris! :eek: Hurrumph.