PDA

View Full Version : Sesame Street

sparks19
04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
So Hannah is into watching Sesame street. she especially loves Elmo and Murray and his little lamb.

But watching this has made me think back to my childhood.

Sesame street hasn't changed ONE BIT since I was a kid 20-25 years ago. Wow saying that makes me feel old lol. But seriously they still have many of the same sketches. Like grover the fumbling waiter and Guy Smileys game shows and the human characters are still the same. mr Hooper and his store, louis and maria etc. there are some new characters that weren't around when I was a kid (both puppet and human) and the theme song has changed just a little bit. But other than those few minor changes this is exactly the same as when I was a kid.

I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it lol.

yes... these are the things I ponder during my days.

Nomilynn
04-02-2009, 05:27 PM
My BF and I spend an evening downloading clips on YouTube, like the Ladybig's Picnic and the Singing Typewriter and stuff like that. It was so fun and brough lots of memories back. Every once and a while, we sing the "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12" as we imagine a pinball making it's way around a maze :P

kitten645
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I'll admit that occassionally, especially when I'm blue or sick, I'll watch entire episodes of SS! My guilty pleasure :rolleyes: Grover is still my favorite..especially SUPER GROVER! I always loved when they had celebrity guests on as well. Gave them another dimension. My all time favorite was Bruce Springsteen doing "Baby we were born to count" :D
Claudia

catnapper
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Cameron has absolutely no interest in Sesame Street. None. They have a wonderful website with toddler games, and he only liked one... and click to link to figure out why! Cam's game (http://www.sesamestreet.org/game_player?p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_id=gamePlayer_WAR_sesameportlets4369&p_p_uid=f1d9ed8b-163d-11dd-98c7-b9f43dcf5330&t=1238337389204&) He LOVES that game, and there was absolutely NO influence on my part! Seriously - he liked it himself! :p But he hasn't gotten into anything else related to Sesame Street.

As for my childhood, I remember watching Sesame Street but it wasn't a favorite for me like it was my brother. My favorite was the Electric Company... I hear theyre bringing it back soon!

Medusa
04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I loved watching Sesame St. when my son was a boy. Electric Company, too. But especially Mr. Rogers. You really took me in the way back machine.

prechrswife
04-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Sesame Street is the favorite around here, too. Both girls love their Elmo and "Abby Dabby" (Abby Cadabby). I think I get more done around the house in that one hour of the morning than during the entire remainder of the day most days.

Moesha
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
We used to watch Sesame Street and Electric Company at school in first grade. I loved Sesame Street. My favorite "skit" was the one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleveeeeeeen, twelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lve. It had the little metal ball that rolled around on a track. Cookie Monster was my favorite, even though when given the opportunity to have a Cookie Monster plush toy, I picked Oscar. I need to find Oscar. I saw one just like it on ebay a few years ago that went for around $100. I have never liked Elmo.

Emeraldgreen
04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Do you guys remember the 'Tweedle Bugs' that lived in the windowbox of Ernie and Burt? LOL They were my favourite. And I remember a skit, not totally sure if it was on Sesame Street or Electric Company but it was of two tabby cats that absolutely demolish the inside of a doll house? I loved that one too.
And I also liked the painter guy who painted a number, I think it was '7' on everything, including with mustard on bread and on the elevator doors and stuff.
Snuffleupagus was my favourite character with those sad eyes of his. It drove me crazy that nobody ever believed Big Bird. lol

My fav kids show growing up though was Mr. Dress Up. I think it was only aired in Eastern Canada though. Not sure.

Cincy'sMom
04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I guess when I was little Bert and Ernie and Cookie Monster were my favorties...but when i got older it was Mr. Snuffleupagus. Course there was no Elmo back then! I still have a Sesame Street T-shirt, and watch Christmas Eve on Sesame Street every year.

blue
04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
The wallpaper on one of my monitors is Elmo themed but NSFW or family friendly.

sparks19
04-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh they still have the tweedle bugs :D saw a couple sketches from them the other day. Still hilarious even as an adult lol

My hubby said to me the other day "did you ever think you would find yourself at 27 years old enjoying sesame street more than your child?" LOL YES I did :p

So... Tonight Hannah was helping me "mop the floor" with a dry swiffer. She's such a good helper. Until elmo's world came on that is. She heard "la la la la" and she dropped the swiffer and ran into the living room to see elmo. so much for my helper lol

cassiesmom
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Sparks19, thank you for the fun flashback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt2cF6PpgrE <- "What's the Name Of That Song?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco <- "Bein' Green"

And hearing about Fargo, North Dakota on the news reminded me of Fargo North, Decoder from "The Electric Company"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2puBvTuGJY
The girl who plays Allison in this video is Denise Nickerson, who played Violet Beauregarde in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

And Morgan Freeman, Easy Reader, with Rita Moreno - I forgot that Stanley the screen was a character!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u8MY7PjSXU

Thank you for the look back! Can we do "Schoolhouse Rock", too? Every kid in my eighth grade class, getting ready for the U.S. Constitution test, learned the Preamble from TV...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_TXJRZ4CFc

Thanks,
Elyse

Taz_Zoee
04-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh my gosh, this totally takes me back!! Sesame Street and Electric Company were my all time favorite shows. I wouldn't miss one! And thanks Moesha, now I have that song stuck in my head. (One, two, three, four.....) :p

Moesha
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Here ya go...get one of these songs in your head now. I'll get you started.

I'm just a bill...Yes, I'm only a bill...And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill

Conjunction junction...what's your function?

Does anyone remember that woman that used to sing moving her hand up and down with the tune?

BitsyNaceyDog
04-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Nathan has no interest in Sesame Street. When he was maybe about 6 months old we would play some songs that were on a Sesame Street DVD and he loved listening to those, he lost interest in that quite a while ago though. He's never cared to watch the show. :(

Taz_Zoee
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Here ya go...get one of these songs in your head now. I'll get you started.

I'm just a bill...Yes, I'm only a bill...And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill

Conjunction junction...what's your function?

Does anyone remember that woman that used to sing moving her hand up and down with the tune?

I remember the Bill song and the conjuction junction songs, but I can't recall the woman you are referring to. I might remember if I saw it, but it's not sparky a memory for me.

smokey the elder
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Those were always associated with the Saturday morning cartoons for me!

Cookiebaker
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Add Lydia into the not-interested crowd :( She is scared silly of some of the characters (Mr. Snufflelupagus sp? and Elmo's daddy) Sometimes as soon as it starts, she jumps up saying "all done all done!" and turns the tv off. It makes me a little sad that she doesn't like it, but I figure we still have plenty of time. :)

She LOVES blues clues, and we have gotten about 15 different episodes on VHS.

prechrswife
04-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Mary Joyce doesn't like the Humpty Dumpty character that shows up occasionally on Sesame Street. I have to admit, he is a little creepy-looking.