PDA

View Full Version : Health insurance/prescription plan question

JenBKR
04-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Well, yesterday my father's company became the latest victim of the economy and he (along with many others) was laid off. My main concern now is that my parents will be without health insurance within a few months, so I am trying to help them find an individual plan, or at least a prescription plan. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I am mostly concerned about prescriptions for now because my mom has several high cost prescriptions that she cannot be without. And ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Karen
04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I cannot help, as Massachusetts is notoriously different than the rest of the planet in terms of insurance. But the company should give him some COPPA options - does your mom work at all? There are some insurance companies that let you buy in as an individual. Are they age-wise eligible for assistance from Medicare/Medicaid? (I never remember which is which.)

pomtzu
04-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, yesterday my father's company became the latest victim of the economy and he (along with many others) was laid off. My main concern now is that my parents will be without health insurance within a few months, so I am trying to help them find an individual plan, or at least a prescription plan. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I am mostly concerned about prescriptions for now because my mom has several high cost prescriptions that she cannot be without. And ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Your father should be eligible to continue his insurance that he had thru his employer - at his total expense of course - and for a limited time.

You didn't state your fathers age, but is he a member of AARP? They have numerous health care insurance plans for those over 50, yet under 65. It is not the same as the Medicare supplemental plans you see advertised, since you have to be 65 or on Medicare for those.

I wish him good luck. It's bad enough to lose the job, without losing medical coverage as well.

Edwina's Secretary
04-02-2009, 04:03 PM
If your father had group benefits he must be offered COBRA -- the right to continue his benefits for up to 18 months by paying the full premium.

The exception to this would be if the company went out of business.

But here is something very important for him to know.

As a part of the stimulus plan the federal government is picking up 65% of the cost of COBRA for up to nine months. (The company pays but then applies the payment against payroll taxes.) This is for anyone unemployed involuntarily since Septmeber 1, 2008.

This can make COBRA so much more affordable and allow time to shop around for coverage -- or get another job with benefits.

If he plans on getting reemployed (as opposed to retiring) COBRA can be a better option than getting an individual plan as he will meet the requirements for no preexisting condition exclusion when he gets coverage with another employer.

PM me if you want more information on it.

catnapper
04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm so sorry -- my mom lost her job of 25 years last month, and she's going through the same thing right now. I wish I coiuld help you, but I'm completely unable to help my own mom :(

lvpets2002
04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
:) Yes we have had some layoffs & they will let you stay on the insurance plan with a small monthly fee.. Sorry to hear about your Dad = Jen..

Daisy and Delilah
04-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Over the last year, I've been using COBRA for insurance. I was unable to work due to medical conditions. It's more expensive than the group plan but we all need insurance. It's been a lifesaver for me.

When I retired from my last job in electronics, I researched possible ways to get insurance. I visited two websites. Humana and Blue Cross/Blue Shield. At that time, they offered several different plans you could apply for and get an instant quote. I'm not sure if they still do that. I haven't seen either of them advertised lately. FYI: I was turned down because I have high blood pressure and a couple of other small problems. I was surprised that the insurance would be that critical but I realize they can't just sign up anyone with anything. They could be getting themselves into a mess.

Don't forget about the lower cost prescription plans that Wal-Mart and other pharmacies have. Some of your Mom's may be on the list. You can find it on Wal-Mart's website.

If I ever need insurance again, I would love to hear what my options are. It worries me that I could be without coverage down the line somewhere.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope it all works out well for him and your Mom. It's so hard. Hugs all around:(

JenBKR
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys!

i sort of posted before I knew everything that's going to happen. Dad is 57 and planning to go out on his own, basically doing the same thing he was (he was in sales). He is getting severance pay, one week of pay for every year he has been at the company (32 years). He will still have his insurance until the end of April, then it will continue throughout the rest of those 32 weeks with him paying 22%. I don't know if that is considered COBRA - I don't really know anything about any of this. Through the company he gets to meet with someone who will help him with things like his resume - might be like what you do ES? I'm not entirely sure, but it might be the same thing. I will tell him to ask her about insurance, maybe she can help. Thank you for the info about COBRA, it's great that the government is helping to pay for that. I will let him know and PM you if I have any other questions about it.

I guess my main concern about the whole thing is really one of my mom's prescriptions. She can't take the generic, and it's expensive. With insurance she pays about $100/month I think. I didn't know that AARP had insurance plans, I will definitely look into that.

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for the replies everyone. I have heard about so many layoffs lately, it's really scary.

Edwina's Secretary
04-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Through the company he gets to meet with someone who will help him with things like his resume - might be like what you do ES? I'm not entirely sure, but it might be the same thing. I will tell him to ask her about insurance, maybe she can help. Thank you for the info about COBRA, it's great that the government is helping to pay for that. I will let him know and PM you if I have any other questions about it.

It sounds like your dad's company is doing some good things for the people they have to let go. Despite how heartless many companies seem -- it is people doing it -- most of whom know it could be them next.

What they are offering him is outplacement. Help with his resume and planning what to do next usually. It is a very good thing and he should take advantage of it. They may also be able to offer some insurance information. If not, the HR department should. Be sure and tell him to ask about the stimulus package assistance and if it applies to him. They will not be able to advise him but they should be able to give him information to help him make the best decision.

smokey the elder
04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
She might want to contact the manufacturer of the medicine. Many pharma companies have PPAs (prescription plan assistance) where they can provide drugs at a discount for those who need them.

jennielynn1970
04-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I'd also suggest asking the doctor who prescribed the meds to give her as much as possible in samples. Most doctor offices get so much in samples that they don't give away they end up throwing them away when they expire.