PDA

View Full Version : Food question

WELOVESPUPPIES
04-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Who on here feeds Taste of the Wild? Is this a good dog food. I am looking into changing brands as Ryleigh is having what I think may be grain related itchies. I am considering changing her to Wellness also. I am pretty sure I have heard you guys on here mention the Taste of the Wild and I could not rembmer if it was good or bad LOL. I did not even think we carried this brand locally but apparently one of the local feeds stores does. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for catching that LOL.

Husky_mom
04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Call of the wild? or TASTE of the wild?.... I feed Queeq that one... she loves it... I get it at PetsBarn... so last time I went I bought the biggest bag... because once I move I wonŽt be able to get it when I need it...

a 15lb bag should last about 6 months... give or take...

WELOVESPUPPIES
04-02-2009, 03:06 PM
hahaha yes I meant Taste, call of the wild where's my brain. 6 months really?That is for Queen, so with Chopper and Ryleigh eating it it should last at least 3 months maybe longer, they eat very little.

lvpets2002
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
:) WoW just a wittle typo.. Yes its Taste of the Wild.. I buy for the Dogs & the Cats both.. They just Love it.. Our Tractor Supply Store here stocks it..

Husky_mom
04-02-2009, 04:07 PM
it should last a while... I give her a handful in the morning and another in the night... (literally a handful... sometimes just so lazy I pick it up with my hand LOL)...

Queeq is a chomper.. if she could sheŽll eat a lb in one sit... but then stop eating for a long long time while everything comes out.. LOL...

Spiritwind
04-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I feed this food to my smooth boy, Cash. I have tried several foods with him and couldn't find one that didn't cause him to have some diarrhea, except Taste Of the Wild. I wish it wasn't so expensive (about $40 for a 30lb bag with doesn't last a large dog to long) because if it was a little cheaper or in a larger bag I'd like to feed it to the other dogs as well!!

bckrazy
04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I feed TotW for kibble meals, and my boys LOVE it. = ) Awesome ingredients, and it's much cheaper than comparable grain-free foods (Evo, Orijen, etc). I like the ingredients better than other grain-free foods, too.

cassiesmom
04-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Ahem, I think we need a demonstration of the diners enjoying the menu item under discussion :love:

clara4457
04-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Taste of the Wild has a very high rating on dogfoodanalysis.com (http://dogfoodanalysis.com). Depending on the flavor, it grades out as a 5 star of 6 star food.

This is a great place to get actual nutrition facts on dog food.

WELOVESPUPPIES
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Ok have done some calling around and I found a place 10 miles from me that carries TOTW (NOT COTW LOL!!) in a 15lb bag for $20.99, does that sound like a decent price?

Thanks for that link Clara4457. I did find this on that site (here (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1287&cat=8))

***Whilst not on a level with most of the foods in the 6* category, overall this food appears to exceed the standard of many in the 5* category, at least in terms of meat and absence of grains. The quality of ingredients does appear to be somewhat mixed, however, and were greater product information available an adjustment to the rating given might be made. This food is thus cautiously rated 6* for the time being.***

Then I read this

***We do note the inclusion of a fish meal ingredient, but have been unable to locate any statement on the manufacturers website guaranteeing the use of ethoxyquin-free ingredients.***

Is this something I should be concerned about??

Cassiesmom:) I will be having a meetup with the chis tomorrow, believe me there will be lots of pictures. I will take some of Duke and Champ too around the house. Thanks for asking to see them.

clara4457
04-03-2009, 11:26 AM
According to the manufacturer, TOTW is ethoxygquin free. They use mixed
tocopherols to preserve their products.

Bottom line is that all prepared dog foods have to use some sort of preservative - just like with prepared human food. So unless you are feeding a raw diet, you are going to be feeding your dog some sort of preservative.

TOTW looks to be a wonderful food - as long as your dog does well on it and you can afford it, it is definitely one of the top of the line.

After seeing so many starved dogs in my years of rescue, I'm a firm believer in suggesting that people find the best quality food they can afford. When pricing food, you also need to look at the k-cals, many times you feed less of the more expensive foods thus making it comparable in price. Factor in the health benefits of quality dog and the price goes down considerably.

For dogs with allergies, we always recommend a grain free diet. I would say that a majority of the time the allergies are caused by the grains and not the meats. Corn is the biggest culprit (IMHO)

Our next newsletter is going to have an article on dog/cat nutrition. I promise I'll post a link when it is done.

Just my 2 cents

Clara

WELOVESPUPPIES
04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Good, nice to know they don't use that one, I did not like some of the things I read about it but I am sure all preservatives have something linked to them.

I am hoping she does well on it.

I decided to go definitely go with TOTW, Wellness Core is quite a bit more expensive here, not only is it more money but is only a 12lb bag. My hubby was happy with $20 for 15 pounds:D He grew up with dogs eating store brand foods and leafovers out of the fridge and they all lived long happy lives so trying to explain to him the benefits of a better food....well lets just say it takes awhile LOL.

Thanks everyone.

Husky_mom
04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
20.99.. awesome!!.. I got mine at 24.99..

I wish it was 20 when I bought mine.. ;)

clara4457
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
He grew up with dogs eating store brand foods and leafovers out of the fridge and they all lived long happy lives so trying to explain to him the benefits of a better food....well lets just say it takes awhile LOL.

Thanks everyone.

Just tell him that no grain foods mean less non-digestible waste. In other words - less dog poop to pick up!:D

Kfamr
04-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I switched from Wellness CORE to TOTW a few months ago. They're doing wonderful on it and didn't have any gas during the switch, which amazed me.

Nala was having a hard time keeping on weight with Wellness CORE, so that was the reason for the switch.

I think I pay $50ish for their largest bag (30 pounds?)