PDA

View Full Version : I'm SOOOOOO itchy

sparks19
04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm so itchy

I'm covered in hives :mad: :(

The only thing I can think of that caused this reaction is oxyclean. We just started using it although I didn't have a reaction from wearing my clothes... it was only after we washed our bedding that I woke up the next morning covered in what looked like little bug bites. Now I have these massive red blobs all over.

Nothing I was trying was working so I went to the Dr today because it's just getting worse. So I am on prednisone for 9 days and zyrtec and she told me to keep using the hydrocortisone cream and the benedryl cream.

any other suggestions to help with the itch in the meantime? I can't WAIT for this stuff to kick in and get rid of the itchyness. they are seriously everywhere. legs, arms, armpits, hands, feet... EVERYWHERE. I'm even getting one on my EYELID. I"m just a big lumpy red blob

So... what else can I try to help relieve the itch in the meantime?

happylabs
04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Sorry about your hives. Something very soothing would be to take a warm oatmeal bath or a warm bath with baking soda. You can get a special oatmeal bath at the pharmacy but I think you also can use regular oatmeal. May want to google that one. Sending you soothing thoughts. Good luck!

sparks19
04-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Sorry about your hives. Something very soothing would be to take a warm oatmeal bath or a warm bath with baking soda. You can get a special oatmeal bath at the pharmacy but I think you also can use regular oatmeal. May want to google that one. Sending you soothing thoughts. Good luck!

I have some oatmeal... how exactly does an oatmeal bath work. Do I just make a paste and rub it on?

happylabs
04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Now I'm all itchy too - LOL! Here is a link on how to do it with oatmeal for babies. I would assume you just use more for an adult.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/oatmealbath.htm

pomtzu
04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
As my doctor told me, a warm bath with anything will intensify the itching. Warm just makes it worse. Try Witch Hazel if you have any, or pick some up at the pharmacy. You can put it in a spray bottle and spray it on, and for areas around your eyes, just dab on with a cotton ball. Chilling it too is even more effective.

rg_girlca
04-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Oh gosh, I feel so sorry for you. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to scratch. I don't know if you can get this where you live, but I highly recommend "AVeeno - Anti-Itch cream." It works very well on stopping the itch. If you can't get that, then try "Calamine Lotion." What they call the "Pink Stuff." You can get both of these at a Pharmacy.

Good luck and prayers on the way that you get some relief very soon.

caseysmom
04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
wash your bedding and rinse with vinegar...oh and wash with something else!

Catty1
04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Tea tree oil - use a soft sponge or cloth, put your soap/bodywash in it, and add a few drops of Tea Tree oil. Wash all over gently.

It's a great antiseptic, and will help the itching...it dries the beggars out!

I have used Oxyclean and has no problems...but everyone is different. Maybe you used too much?

Whatever the case, I hope you feel better SOON!:love:

catnapper
04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Good Lord, I know what you're talking about! I posted a thread not too long ago about itchies. The best I found was "Eucerin calming itch-relief" cream. Its nice feeling and no perfume. It really does calm the itch -- it doesn't totally get rid of them but it makes them tolerable.

Mine were from stress! No sooner did Ashley move out and my itchies vanished. Anything stressful or making you nuts?

Medusa
04-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Tecnu. You can get it from the pharmacy, although you may have to ask for it. I had a case of deadly nightshade once, which is worse than poison ivy. I itched to the brink of insanity until someone told me about Tecnu. The itching stopped immediately. Give it a whirl. It's good stuff. I feel for you, believe me, but this should allow you a good night's sleep. :)

3Catcondo
04-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Aveeno makes a really good oatmeal bath, it comes in a box from the store with several packets per box. That is what I used when I broke out in hives from clothes detergent. I would recommend it.

sparks19
04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Well after I made this post I took my other 2 prednisone for the day and... it's actually really helping already. I'm still itchy but not nearly as bad as I was. This is tolerable lol. and the hives aren't as red. so hopefully this means I am on the mend and won't be living in misery for much longer lol.

But I'm definitely going to keep this thread in mind in case this happens again

Daisy and Delilah
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I like clear caladryl. It's kinda in a gel form so it stays better. It's calamine in a different form I believe. I also like another lotion called Sarna(I think that's the spelling).

The prednisone and benadryl should calm it down better than anything. I don't like to take steroids but they work miracles. Good luck. There are few things as irritating as itching like that.:(

sparks19
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
yeah the Dr said warm baths and showers were ok too. she said extreme temps are what causes more flare ups so no HOT showers or getting too hot and sweaty.

buckner
04-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Maybe I'm a bit more demanding of my doctor, but I usually go in there and tell him what I want. :P If I had the itchies like you did, I'd immediately tell him I needed a shot of prednisone and a shot of antihistamines. As well, I'd want to be on a dose of prednisone. The shot is what makes it kick in immediately.

Seriously, have you ever had a pet with the extreme itchies? Daisy, my poochie, has bad skin and has real bad itchies. She gets a shot anti-itch stuff, so I figure, why can't I?!

Really, next time, ask your doctor about a shot for immediate relief. It helps tremendously! :)

Whisk_Luva
04-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Aww sorry to hear about your itchness.... :( I had the same thing happen a few weeks back (but mine was to a body spray I think)...

I don't really have any suggestions, but I hope it clears up very soon...

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-02-2009, 07:19 AM
I have some rash on both lower legs due to excema. A good way to stop the itching (so I can fall asleep) is using talcum powder!! It makes me smell like a baby too ;):p:D

emily_the_spoiled
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Just to let you know that prednisone can have some sides effects ... you may weight while taking it (don't worry it is mostly water and will disappear when you stop), you may have mood swings (either angry or depressed, they will also disappear), some people find that it makes them very hungry (so munch on healthy food).

Sorry about the itches, I am also allergic to perfumes and dyes in many laundry detergents so I can sympathize with you :(

sparks19
04-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Well I am on day two of my pred....The dr said I could take one pill every few hours or I could take all three at once. I took two at once yesterday.... yeah I'm spreading them out now lol. They don't make me feel sick to my stomach or anything but taking two at once made me a little loopy lol.

But it is working like a charm. I am so much better already. The hives that were really swollen have gone right down. the only one that is still kind of swollen is the one on my thumb. I'm not really itchy at all anymore. You can still see the hives but they aren't really red like they were before.

I can't believe how fast it started helping. A sweet relief.

the only symptoms I am having so far restlessness. The Dr said I could experience some insomnia and I am. It's hard to fall asleep and hard to stay asleep but I don't feel like I haven't slept. she said they would probably give me a boost of energy and that seems to be the case. Otherwise I haven't had any symptoms. no upset stomach or anything.

yeah next time (hopefully there is no next time though) I will ask for a shot but I've NEVER had an allergic reaction before (other than seasonal sneezing and watery eyes) so I had no idea what was used to help it.