PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who bought the "cheapy" glasses at www.zennioptical.com

jenluckenbach
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I know several people bought glasses on line at www.zennioptical.com.

How are they working for you?

Are you still happy with them?

Karen
03-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I am quite happy with them - I have a regular pair, and a pair of sunglasses. The price was amazing, and they fit and work fine, and I have a VERY complex and difficult prescription.

pomtzu
03-30-2009, 08:53 AM
I know several people bought glasses on line at www.zennioptical.com.

How are they working for you?

Are you still happy with them?

I haven't, but would be leery of anything that is priced so low. I no longer wear glasses since my cataract surgery last year, but when I did, I got them thru a very well know optical store( initials L.C.), and they NEVER got the prescription correct. My ophthalmologist was truly appalled when he read the lenses and compared them to what they should have been. I guess you really do get what you pay for, and skimping when it comes to your eyes, could be costly in the long run!

Karen
03-30-2009, 09:05 AM
I haven't, but would be leery of anything that is priced so low. I no longer wear glasses since my cataract surgery last year, but when I did, I got them thru a very well know optical store( initials L.C.), and they NEVER got the prescription correct. My ophthalmologist was truly appalled when he read the lenses and compared them to what they should have been. I guess you really do get what you pay for, and skimping when it comes to your eyes, could be costly in the long run!

My prescription, as I stated, is very complex, and Zenni did it perfectly. I had to pay a little more because of the strength of my prescription - I am extremely nearsighted, and have different astigmatisms in each eye - and they cost me less than $30, instead of the over $400 I paid at an LC store.

kuhio98
03-30-2009, 09:09 AM
I bought 2 pairs from them about 2 years ago, I think. The prescription was right. I still wear these glasses every day. I highly recommend them!

pomtzu
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
My prescription, as I stated, is very complex, and Zenni did it perfectly. I had to pay a little more because of the strength of my prescription - I am extremely nearsighted, and have different astigmatisms in each eye - and they cost me less than $30, instead of the over $400 I paid at an LC store.

I suppose as with everything else, there is good and bad. I thought my LC glasses were correct, and never knew that they weren't until my doctor questioned and tested them. Hey - if they work for you - then that's great. I know that I would personally never recommend LC to anyone!!! Glad zenni got it right! :)

jenluckenbach
03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Beleive me when I say that I am VERY skeptical!! That's the reason I never bought them here when it was mentioned a few years ago.

But this year my prescription did not change and I just can't stand the thought if paying over $450 for a new pair that I dont actually NEED! and yet, having a new pair would be nice.

I have a very high prescrtption, astigmatism in one eye and progressive bifocals.......a costly combo. But I priced out a Zenni pair at $50. QUITE a saving!!

Edwina's Secretary
03-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Jen...I am so glad you started this thread. On the way to work today I was trying to remember who had used this service so I could drop them a line and get the name of the website!

I only wear my glasses when I don't have my contacts in (which is rare) so I hate to spend a few hundred dollars.

Thank you!

sirrahbed
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I have four pair and LOVE them. I have a very simple single lens Rx (have quit trying to get used to bifocals!) and so these are perfect for me. I can keep a pair in the car, in my purse and next to the tv. I even experimented with some cute colors and frames and at $10 a pair - I can do that:D I really splurged on my last pair (rimless) and paid $18:D Honestly, I can see no difference in the quality compared to my more expensive glasses - none at all.

The last time I ordered, there was a delay problem at customs and so I called the company and they rather than having me wait, they replaced the order quickly.

Sirrahsim
03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I wear my glasses from Zenni every day. They are more comfortable than the glasses I bought at a chain store and the prescription is perfect. I got the super high index lenses because I have a very strong prescription and I still ended up paying less than $30.

mruffruff
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I have a pair of bifocals that I ordered from Zenni and I wear them every night. I still use my old glasses to drive even though they have a piece of wire holding the ear piece on.

My sister has a couple of pairs that she wears all of the time.

One of the guys in the warehouse ordered some and had to send them back. They replaced them with the corrected lenses and he's a happy camper.

krazyaboutkatz
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I bought 4 pairs but I really only use 2 of them. I usually only wear them while I'm driving but I'm still very happy with them.:)

Medusa
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Lovely. I would have to see this now after I spent nearly $1200 for reading, distance and Rx sunglasses. I went to an optometrist, though. Oh well, maybe next time. :)

Laura's Babies
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
A new pair of glasses only seem to work for me a few months and then I need a new Rx. This has been going on for 3 years now.. I use the 3 vision progressive bifocals and they are very expensive so I checked into Zenni online but they don't do the 3 vision.. I SURE wish they did!

I have an appointment with my eye doctor Wednesday to address this problem of glasses only working for several months before they are no longer any good to me anymore. Things are so blurry that I see better without them. Traveling like I do for work has become a real problem because I can't even read road signs anymore. Going without my glasses I get eye strain that makes my eye balls hurt like heck.. I want to find out WHY this has been happening and how to fix it.. I may just have to go to the regular bifocals and get mine at Zenni if we can't fix this problem.

Edwina's Secretary
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
How do you tactfully ask your eye doctor for the prescription? Or do you just come out and say you want it?

pomtzu
03-30-2009, 12:34 PM
How do you tactfully ask your eye doctor for the prescription? Or do you just come out and say you want it?

You shouldn't have to be tactful - afterall - you paid for it didn't you?

When I was still in glasses, there was one doctor that I went to that I had to ask, but he never had an issue with it. After he retired and I had to change doctors, this new one automatically gave a computer print out whether I asked for it or not.

jenluckenbach
03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Just ask for a written copy of your presciption.

How about the fit of the arms around the ears? Usually they get heated and bended to fit properly at the office visit. Are adjustments needed?

Laura, I am unsure of the difference of the three vision progressives vs. just progressive bifocals. I know that my mom wore tri-focals, 3 distict seperate lenses, but I was under the impression that the progressive WAS not only three vision, but infinite. Maybe you should ask an eye Dr.

Pam
03-30-2009, 02:28 PM

No need for tact. It is part of the medical info contained in your chart and belongs to you. In fact, you should have been given a copy of it at your exam.

I never heard of this company before but have bookmarked it. I currently work for an ophthalmologist and you can't beat the prices that I pay (cost) but there may come a day when I need this. Thanks for the link. ;)

moosmom
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Edwina's Secretary,

I just called my eye doctor and requested a paper copy of my prescription and told him why. He didn't mind at all.

lvpets2002
03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
:) Hey I think I will try this as well.. I need new glassess & just have not wanted to pay the $400-$600 range.. Now what if you need your eyes checked for a new prescription.. How do these people do that??
Edwina's Secretary,

I just called my eye doctor and requested a paper copy of my prescription and told him why. He didn't mind at all.

Casper
03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I bought one pair about a year (give or take) ago and they are still doing great for me. I only wear glasses when I don't have my contacts in and, I must say, it was a steal to get a good pair so cheap. I paid around $20 for the ones I bought from Zenni and they are just as good as a pair I bought a year before that for over $100.

My sister bought a pair a few months after I bought mine and hers are still holding up great, too. And she wears hers much more than I do.

I just want to give a big Thank you to whoever first suggested Zenni Optical. :)

pomtzu
03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I can't figure this part - I don't see how they can properly do this. :confused: When you have bi-focals or progressives, the optician always measures where to position where the progression or bi-focal portion end, so that is doesn't interfere with the distance portion of the lens which is higher up. This is always done while you are wearing the frame, and they can mark and measure accordingly. How can this be done by mail order? I can see where it wouldn't be a problem with single vision lenses, but how to get it correct with the other lenses???
Inquiring minds want to know! :)

jenluckenbach
03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I can't figure this part - I don't see how they can properly do this. :confused: When you have bi-focals or progressives, the optician always measures where to position where the progression or bi-focal portion end, so that is doesn't interfere with the distance portion of the lens which is higher up. This is always done while you are wearing the frame, and they can mark and measure accordingly. How can this be done by mail order? I can see where it wouldn't be a problem with single vision lenses, but how to get it correct with the other lenses???
Inquiring minds want to know! :)

I always thought this too. But I now am thinking that those "marks they place on the lenses" while you are wearing them, are for pupil distance, because they always measure between those dots.

Anyway, I ordered a pair and they are progressive bifocals.....so we shall see.
My total, with shipping was $60, but a total STEAL for my prescription.

mruffruff
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Just ask nicely.

Sirrahsim
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
They are required by law to release your prescription for both eye glasses and contact lenses if you request. If I remember correctly, they are also not allowed to charge you for it.
You have to have a current prescription from an eye doctor in order to get your glasses from Zenni. I don't think Zenni checks, but if they do and your prescription is invalid then you will not get your glasses.

catnapper
03-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Glad everyone enjoys them! I love my glasses and will never ever buy elsewhere again.

As for prescription, its law that they give it to you when you ask. They might give you grief (after all they make money selling frames and lenses) but they have to give it to you. All the numbers on the prescription tell the company exactly where to place the pupil, bifocal line, etc.

I must have 10 pairs of them now. I enjoy matching my glasses to my outfit. At those prices, I can look very accessorized on the cheap. a couple pairs got lost, and two broke, but thats because I had a toddler who kept throwing tantrums that included ripping glasses off my face and tossing them on the floor (it was NOT tolerated, but in the midst of a tantrum, rules goes out the door) Who cares if they break or get lost? $20 down the drain instead of $200.

As for adjustments? Take it to any eye glass place and they'll do it for you for free. I've had several pairs adjusted no problem. They know the glasses aren't theirs but its a courtesy they provide anyway.

Try it, I promise, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Karen
03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Actually, they can do that measurement - pupillary distance - and you need that as part of your prescription. My optometrist didn't write that down, but when I told him I wanted to try ordering glasses online, he had his staff do it and write it down for me.

Pam
03-31-2009, 05:58 PM
As for prescription, its law that they give it to you when you ask.
They might give you grief (after all they make money selling frames and lenses) but they have to give it to you. All the numbers on the prescription tell the company exactly where to place the pupil, bifocal line, etc.
s aren't theirs but its a courtesy they provide anyway.

I don't know about optometrists but I work for an ophthalmologist and there is a separate charge for refracting a patient (coming up with the patient's prescription). Some insurances do not cover this and it then becomes the patient's responsibility. If a patient does not pay this fee after they have been refracted, the doctor has the right to withhold the prescription until it is paid. That is the only time that I know of that a prescription can be withheld and, like I say, that is the case with ophthalmologists but I don't know about optometrists.

The pupil distance is a side-to-side measurement measuring, of course, the distance between the pupils. :) Obviously once this measurement is taken it doesn't change because your eyes don't move. :)

My boss takes the height (bifocal measurement) with the patient wearing the glasses. It can be different from frame to frame, depending on the size of the frame and where the patient feels that the frame is sitting most comfortably on their nose. At my office that is never put on a patient's script because of the fact that it can vary.

pomtzu
03-31-2009, 06:06 PM
My boss takes the height (bifocal measurement) with the patient wearing the glasses. It can be different from frame to frame, depending on the size of the frame and where the patient feels that the frame is sitting most comfortably on their nose. At my office that is never put on a patient's script because of the fact that it can vary.

Thanks Pam - that's what I thought too - which lead to my question of how this could be done accurately by mail order.

jenluckenbach
03-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Pam - that's what I thought too - which lead to my question of how this could be done accurately by mail order.

Well, I guess I'll find out. ;)
I suppose there is a "standard" place to place a bifocal....like an "average". It may be right for most people, but not ALL people. (does that sound about right?)

Pam
03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Well, I guess I'll find out. ;)
I suppose there is a "standard" place to place a bifocal....like an "average". It may be right for most people, but not ALL people. (does that sound about right?)

Jen, I guess it also depends on the person wearing the glasses. There is the ability to adjust the glasses somewhat by adjusting the little nosepads which can move the frame up or down the nose to the patient's liking which will change the viewing area. We have patients that sometimes are so picky that they come in for an adjustment after wearing the glasses for a few days even though the doctor has taken the appropriate height measurement on them. :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Well...I am trying. I email the office for my prescription. They sent it to me but it does not include the Pupillary Distance.

I am also not sure it includes the reading presciption (I can read without glasses if I do not have contacts in but cannot read without magnification when wearing my lenses.) Can anyone tell me the secret code for reading correction?

I have emailed and asked for these two things. This being California....:rolleyes::rolleyes:I am betting they will say as I only ordered contacts at my last exam they will not give me this information. They did not measure the distance between my pupils in December.

jenluckenbach
03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Well...I am trying. I email the office for my prescription. They sent it to me but it does not include the Pupillary Distance.

I am also not sure it includes the reading presciption (I can read without glasses if I do not have contacts in but cannot read without magnification when wearing my lenses.) Can anyone tell me the secret code for reading correction?

I have emailed and asked for these two things. This being California....:rolleyes::rolleyes:I am betting they will say as I only ordered contacts at my last exam they will not give me this information. They did not measure the distance between my pupils in December.

The pupil distance is not part of the presiption. You can measure yourself or with help. Just look straight ahead and have someone mark the position of each pupil (or use a mirror, I did). and measure in millimeters. Both mine and Charlie's were 65 mm.

The bifocal strength on my presciption is below the "sphere". Has N.V. next to it and OD and OS for left and right, and is a number like +1.00 or +2.50 etc...

Edwina's Secretary
03-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Thank you Jenn! Now that you explained it I know which is distance (same as that marked on my boxes of lenses) and which is reading (the one that matches the magnification I get.) Duh!

Now, if they don't send me the distance between pupils I'll know how to get it.

I take it back! They already sent me the distance (63.50...does that mean my eyes are too close together??? ;-)) Off to order a pair!

Edwina's Secretary
04-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Love, love, love them! I have just ordered a second pair.

Thank you all so much!

Laura's Babies
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Once you order them, how long before you get them?

Karen
04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
It depends - it is usually a week, but if you have a prescription like mine, it can take longer. I think mine was about 3 weeks.

Edwina's Secretary
04-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Once you order them, how long before you get them?

My order took just over two weeks.

jenluckenbach
04-23-2009, 05:13 AM
I didn't get mine yet. :(:(

Laura's Babies
04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Heck a week is better that you can get at a lot of local shops. 3 weeks isn't bad either, it took my son in law about 3 months at one place he got his..LOCALLY! Who's to even say that a lot of these local places don't use this place and mark them up?

catnapper
04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I was gonna ask if you got them yet! Waiting while holding my breath to see how you like them! :D ('cause if Jen likes 'em, we know they're good! ;))

jenluckenbach
04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
I was gonna ask if you got them yet! Waiting while holding my breath to see how you like them! :D ('cause if Jen likes 'em, we know they're good! ;))

OMG Kim, you sound exactly like my mom!!! She always said "If Jennifer likes {fill in blank} then it HAS to be good!"

Thanks for the great memory of mom :love:

Well, today is 4 weeks, so I called. They got stuck in customs, but have been cleared and should arrive any day now.

Figures mine would be the ones to be slow.......... :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
05-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Got Them !

Well it took about 1 month, but I got my glasses. They are perfect!

I wish I could say they were $8 glasses, but My prescritpion is #1, extra strong, #2, a bifocal, #3, astigmatism in one eye ..... but even adding all the extra charges I am sure I would have paid 6 times more at my optition.

Only thing is that the temples need to be "curved" to fit my ears, and I hate to go into my own eye dr's and admit I bought these elsewhere. I'll probably pop into a "chain" eyeglass place and have it done.

shais_mom
05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I haven't had any problems with them for a year and half and I wear the one pair everyday.
I even popped a lens out a couple weeks ago and was able to get it back in myself!