PDA

View Full Version : Emergencies, Bobby AND Poppy! (they're doing okay now)

phesina
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Friday evening Bob didn't want to eat (totally unlike him), he fell over even more than usual when walking, and, most alarming, he growled when I pet him and really yelped when I got near his abdominal area.. normally he LUUUUUVVS his tummy rubs.

Off to the Emergency Vets we go... got there about 6:00 pm..

First finding: a temp of 107 degrees (normal cat is 102.something). They put a cool damp towel on him with a fan going, and they took x-rays and a blood sample. He would NOT let them touch his abdomen.. I could hear him howling louder than ever, all the way up front where I was waiting.

From Bob's record that I'd brought along, the vet said she suspected cancer, because a couple of months before he'd had an ear polyp removed with a pathology report of possible potential melanoma. She started talking about getting him in to see an oncologist tomorrow or the Michigan State Emergency Ward, and I could get a CAT scan (about $1000), an MRI (about $3,000) if I could afford and wanted to do that.. and all these other things one MIGHT do in case there was cancer.. like she's trying to scare the living daylights out of me.

THEN she asks me what I thought I'd like to do. I said "Well, let's get his temperature down and some idea on what's going on in the abdomen first, and then go on from there." She says, "That's what I'd advise.." (Thanks, lady! So why didn't you just say that to begin with?.)

I stayed until about 9:30 (good thing I always have something along with me to read), then went home after being told the vet would call me when she had something to report, probably around 11pm or so.

MEANWHILE.. Poppy had been occasionally coughing all week, like she was trying to get up a hairball but couldn't. I had decided I would take her to the vet on Monday. BUT when I got back from the Bob's trip, Poppy was coughing a lot more and panting some.

I wondered, do I need to take HER to the ER too? I thought, she'll be okay at least until morning, when I'll take her to the other regular vet who has Saturday hours rather than wait until Monday. (Hoping and praying I wasn't ignoring another immediate crisis to her peril... Just the thought of going back there and through more of this again was hard to contemplate :eek::eek:.)

The ER vet called me about 11:45, said they'd gotten Bob's temperature down to normal but he still had abdominal pain. X-rays did not show tumors, she wondered did he swallow something dangerous like string. Not that I knew of, but there's stuff all over and I couldn't say for sure. Next step, immediate abdominal surgery..

About 6:30am the emergency vet called again, said Bob was coming out of the anesthesia, no foreign bodies were found but there were a couple of suspicious areas on the pancreas (took bits for pathology check) and he seemed to have a case of gastroenteritis. He would probably be ready to come home about 6-8pm after postoperative monitoring and care.

SOOO.., Poppy was still coughing the same, so I took her to the regular vet when they opened. Vet didn't get there for another hour, checked Poppy out, took a couple of X-rays and some blood. Then Poppy and I waited a couple more hours (good thing I always have something along with me to read) until the blood work was ready.

The vet said the blood work was mostly okay except for a higher than normal calcium level.. a possible CANCER indicator :mad::mad::mad:.. Though since Poppy is only about 3 years old that was highly unlikely.. There were also a couple of areas in her lungs suggesting asthma.

She got a steroid shot, some subQ fluids, some meds to take home in case she wasn't doing better than before. I'm to call Monday to let the vet know how Poppy's doing.. (I should take her to the EMERGENCY vet Sunday if she was still really bad. !!)

Poppy coughed a bit after getting home, and I gave her her meds. Today she is clearly much better. I haven't heard her cough at all, and the way I know she's really better is that she slips out of my grasp whenever I try and get ahold of her to give her more of her meds.

So Poppy's back home, and Bob's okay for a while. I went out to do some errands. At one point I was near the ER clinic, so I stopped in just to see my Bobby and talk to him and pet him very gently. He was lying on the cage floor with tubes coming out of him, and he looked at me like, oh it's you! and growled just slightly when I touched him. I told him how much I love him and said I'd be back for him in a little while.

About 6pm I went to pick him up. I was given some Buprenex painkiller and an Elizabethan collar I should put on him after we get home. They said he fought too hard when they tried to put it on him in the clinic, and it wouldn't fit with him in the carrier anyway. (Wimps!)

When we got home, he was no happier about me putting it on him. Since he'd been through enough stress already, I let it go because I didn't think he'd try to bite his stitches, and he hasn't.

He hadn't eaten all day at the clinic, but when we got home he ate a whole bowl of his kibble, so right there I could tell he was feeling better!

Even nicer, he enjoys being petted again, AND... the best indication he's on the road to recovery drum roll....

Here he is as normal:
"AHEM: Tummy does not rub itself, you know!"
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=947

Just look at him now! --
"HEY... it STILL doesn't rub itself!!!"
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1074

So, all is well!!!!!! :love::D At least for now, as we await the path report on Bob's pancreatic thingies..

Except for my bank account, of course.. (Final score: Poppy, $315; Bob, $2,500!) That's the least of my concerns, though.. I'll pay it off somehow, and they're worth EVERY PENNY of it! And I didn't get a whole lot of sleep this weekend.. oh well!.. all is well.

Pat, Bobby, Poppy, Elmer, Sydney, Sparkler, and Peony

P.S., Sorry I've rambled on so far and long with this.. As Blaise Pascal or someone once said, I apologize for such a long message, but I don't have time to write a short one..

krazyaboutkatz
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
What a scary and horrible weekend you've had.:( I'm glad to hear that both of your cats are now doing well.:) I hope that they'll both continue to do so. Please give them both some belly rubs for me.:)

I wanted to add that my 13 year old Storm had high calcium levels in his blood for the past 2 years and I too thought of cancer. My vet then did some other kind of test and nothing was ever conclusive so we just kept an eye on this. This year,however, his blood work has improved. His calcium level is now within the high normal range. The only difference has been his diet. He's been eating Innova Evo which is a grain free food in both dry and canned. I feed this to all of my furkids. Maybe this diet change did the trick or it's just a coincidence. I'd like to think that it's because of great diet change.:)

cassiesmom
03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
gentle (((((HUGS)))) to Bobby, Poppy and Meowmie

Catty1
03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Bobby sweetie, having your stitches rubbed is NO fun! ;)

He looks so cute - and it's great to hear he and Poppy have both improved noticeably.

Prayers that the pancreatic bits are benign, and that both boys come through this bad patch with flying colours! :)

Taz_Zoee
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Aww, that's such a good sign Bobby is wanting his tummy rubbed again so soon after surgery. Taz has not exposed his tummy at all since his surgery in November.

I'm glad to hear Bobby and Poppy are doing much better now. :)

Medusa
03-30-2009, 07:09 AM
OMG, Pat, that made me tired just reading it! How exhausting the weekend must have been for you! It always happens that way, though, doesn't it? One of our furkids gets sick on a weekend and then others follow suit. I'm so glad that everything has settled down and that Bob and Poppy are feeling better. So Luna and Bob had an attack of gastroenteritis. Goodness, our PT kids are having some painful health issues! But Bob looks no worse for wear. I guess our furkids are stronger than we give them credit for. It's we who are the fraidy cats. ;) Please know that Bob and Poppy and you are being prayed for daily. Here's knowing that things will get better and better for you all. :love:

Randi
03-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Oh no, what an ordeal they've been through - and you too. :( I so hope they'll keep getting better and Bobby's tummy will heal well. Also that the tests will show nothing major wrong. It is a good sign that Bobby will let you rub his tummy. :)

Sending kisses to Poppy and Bobby - and some more gentle tummy rubs. :love:

Laura's Babies
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Gee! What a week end! You had to be super stressed with 2 sick at the same time! POOR YOU!

Bob looks like he is feeling fine and happy now, sweet and adoreable.. ***Soft tummy rubs!****

lvpets2002
03-30-2009, 10:57 AM
:eek: Oh No Pat such a Very Scrary Weekend.. So sorry to have read about Bob & Poppy.. I am so so Glad they are doing Good & Feeling alots Better today.. Prayers being sent & Lots of Huggss..

Prairie Purrs
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Not a good weekend at all! I hope Bobby's test results are good and that both he and Poppy girl are completely well very soon.

lvpets2002
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
:love: Pat any news yet on Bob's Test Results?? Also how is Bob & Poppy doing today??

phesina
03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks, everybody, for your concern. Bob, Poppy, and I all appreciate it very much.

Bob is doing much better, pretty much his normal self. Still a little fatigued, I think. He rolls into his "APPLY TUMMY RUBS" position when I come in the room, and I oblige him as much as I can.

The emergency vet said it would take about 10-14 days to get the path results from his pancreatic biopsy.

Poppy got a steroid shot of some kind on Saturday. The vet gave me some Baytril and Interferon to give her, and some Prednisolone tablets in case her breathing got labored again.

Poppy was in fine shape yesterday, as active and hard-to-get as usual Saturday evening and Sunday. Then she started coughing and panting this morning, so I gave her one of the Pred tablets. Now she seems back to normal, so she may need to take those for a while, though I hope not permanently. If she does have asthma, I need to ask the vet if that's something she can recover from or else if it's something that will flare up from time to time always.

I'm still bushed!

Thanks again, :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Bobby, Poppy, and Pat (and the rest of the gang)

lvpets2002
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
:love: Oh Thank Goodness they are both doing better & good now.. I am sure your so pooped out now Pat.. Why dont you & the babies take a long nap & just rest now.. We are all sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. Oh yes Lots of Whisker Kissess & Gentle Belly Rubbss..

Anikaca77
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Oh my goodness what a weekend for you and Bobby and Poppy.

Wow can't believe that cost for the emergency vet but as you said they are worth it.

I'm so glad he's feeling much better and I hope it's nothing serious.

Take care and my prays are being sent for a quick recovery for Bobby and Poppy too.

Melissa

catmandu
03-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Thats the true sign of a Cat lover when nearly 3000 dollras in Vet Bills pales in comparison to your LOVE :love::love::love:and Concern for Bobby and Poppy.:love::love:
I pray that if that situation occurrs with My Older Found Cats that I will not hesitate either and that I wil always be there for them as you are Pat for Your Furry Companions.
You are a true Cat Meeeowmie and A HERO!!!
:love::love::love::love::love:

momcat
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Poor sweeties! No wonder you're exhausted with a stress level off the chart :eek: I'm happy to know they're both feeling better now and this awful weekend will soon fade away.

Could I ask you to give Bob some gentle get better lovies from me? :love: :love: and plenty of scritchies and lovies to Poppy too?

Many prayers are being prayed for all of you!

phesina
03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks again, folks. Poppy coughed a bit once since I've been back home but hasn't done it more or gotten into that labored breathing again. The vet called to check up on her. I told her about giving Poppy the pred this am because she was getting back into the bad coughing and how she's been pretty good all day. I wondered whether I should give her the "evening" dose to keep her in good shape, but the vet told me not to if she just coughs a bit now and then. We don't want her to get dependent on the prednisolone.

Bob continues to do well. Seems a bit fatigued still (I can relate!). I just gave him tonight's subQ fluid.

Emergency vet was expensive all right :eek:.. overnight hospitalization and care, medications, equipment, x-rays, blood work, temperature control, especially the midnight surgery.. (Actually, I was afraid the bill would wind up being much more, like maybe $5000 or $6000!) But with the possibility of poison or string or God-knows-what inside him that could perhaps kill him quickly, I didn't want to take the chance and wait until the next day.

Now we just need to see what the word is on his pancreas...

Thanks again! Bob and Poppy thank you too. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Pat

Pinot's Mom
03-31-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm sorry I'm late in reading this thread, somehow it escaped me! It's so awful when the babies are hurting - especially two at a time! :(
I hope Bobby and Poppy continue to improve; let us know of any updates on either situation and take care of yourself! :love:

lvpets2002
03-31-2009, 09:57 AM
:love: Pat how are the babies today?? I sure hope Bob & Poppy are still doing well today.. I went home last night & just Hugged their pictures & gave them gentle kissess.. I told Taccoa & the others about their illnessess.. Everybody sends Lots of Prayers & Whisker Kissess & Gentle Belly Rubbss.. I hope you have got some rest too Pat..

phesina
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Thank you so much!. The kids are doing okay (knock on wood). Poppy has been her usual hard-to-get self (she says she don't need no steenkin' medicines anyway), and I haven't heard any more coughing from her. Bob is acting more like his usual self too, less fatigued. He is on his cat beds on the floor in the living room right now.. Elmer has walked past him a couple of times, and Bob reached out and poked him so he (Elmer) fell off his "stilts" and rolled over. No sympathy there for his fellow CH-er!

I am so hoping and praying that Bob doesn't have any nastiness going on with his pancreas, or anywhere else for that matter. Still several days before we get the path report.

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Poppy, Bob, and Pat