PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to a potluck?

Suki Wingy
03-29-2009, 04:43 PM
My barn is hosting a clinic this weekend and on Saturday there is a potluck lunch. I'm not exactly the best cook (ok, so I barely scrape by on my own) and I have no clue what to bring. I'm looking for something kind of cheap too. Any suggestions?

Karen
03-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Couple bags of chips and a large bowl will do.

Laura's Babies
03-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Check out my thread on Cooking 102...

k9krazee
03-29-2009, 05:40 PM
I was just going to suggest the Cooking 102 thread. It'd be the perfect potluck dish!

buckner
03-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Coleslaw might be good. It doesn't take a whole lot to make coleslaw. While there may a couple more people bringing it, everyone has their own specific taste of coleslaw - some like it slopped in dressing, some like it sweet, etc etc.

However, that cooking 102 thread dish did sound wonderful and would be good for potluck too! :)

KYS
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
How about a Pasta dish, potato or Cole slaw salad, raw vegetables with a side of salad dressing or Deviled Eggs.
All the above are fairly easy to make and not to expensive.

An easy Pasta dish that is simple to make that someone gave me:
Two pkgs of Linguini, green onions and baby spinach for color, small pkg of crumbled feta cheese and Restaurant Italian Dressing. (such as Bernsteins
restaurant Italian Dressing.)
Cook the Linguini in water or chicken broth and Drain.
While still warm add the Italian dressing and mix. (let soak a little)
Than cut up and add some green onions and baby spinach for color and taste. (add more dressing if needed)
Before serving mix in the Fetta Cheese.
You can add slivered almonds but that adds up the cost.

ramanth
03-29-2009, 11:31 PM
If I'm in a rush, I'll pick up cookies from a bakery or a pasta or potato salad from the local deli.

wolf_Q
03-30-2009, 12:16 AM
The typical Utah potluck dish is cheesy potatoes aka funeral potatoes. At least, when I'm asked I always make that or a desert, and its at every potluck I've ever been to. It's easy and pretty cheap to make. There's a bunch of recipes online for it, I just make it from my head though :o so here's a bad from my head recipe:

2 medium bags of frozen hashbrowns or potato cubes (enough to fill a 9x13 pan, just use your judgement on how many you'll need based on looking at the pan size)
1 large (family size) can of cream of chicken soup
1 medium container of sour cream
3 cups cheddar cheese
Crushed Cornflakes (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350. Pour the hashbrowns into the pan. Mix the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and 2 cups cheese together and pour over the hashbrowns, stir it all together. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top and if you want, crushed cornflakes. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 until its warm and bubbly. ;) I haven't made it in a while I can't remember exactly how long it takes, but just start out with 30 minutes and go from there, you'll be able to tell when its done, the cheese will start to brown and it will be bubbling. You can make it the night before and leave in the fridge and bake it before you go. I usually do that, it bakes faster that way because the hashbrowns have had time to thaw out.

Suki Wingy
03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Ooh, the cheesy potatos sound the best to me so far. :D Thanks for all the suggestions!

cali
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
we always do potato salad, everyone LOVES our recipe its always a hit, and while it takes a little while it is not hard at all.

boil some potatos and let cool, preferably till the next day

peel and slice pototos into a bowl, finly chop about half an onion and add to potatos and chop 2 peices of garlic to add to the bowl. chop some celery and add that as well. cover and chill for several hours

next chop up broccoli, couliflower, carrots, dice some cheese, and toss it all into the bowl and toss. next pour in mayonaise and a few squirts of ranch dressing and mix. cover and chill.

meanwhile hard boil some eggs and chop some ready cooked ham(we just buy fully prepared stuff), when the eggs are done allow to cool, then chop up the eggs, pour seasoning salt on them, and add the eggs and the ham to the salad and toss, season the sald with salt, pepper and seasoning salt to taste, and your done!

there is a lot too it and it takes a while, but its pretty much just chopping and tossing things into a bowl. as long as you can hard boil eggs and boil potatos then you cant really screw it up lol

caseysmom
03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
we always do potato salad, everyone LOVES our recipe its always a hit, and while it takes a little while it is not hard at all.

boil some potatos and let cool, preferably till the next day

peel and slice pototos into a bowl, finly chop about half an onion and add to potatos and chop 2 peices of garlic to add to the bowl. chop some celery and add that as well. cover and chill for several hours

next chop up broccoli, couliflower, carrots, dice some cheese, and toss it all into the bowl and toss. next pour in mayonaise and a few squirts of ranch dressing and mix. cover and chill.

meanwhile hard boil some eggs and chop some ready cooked ham(we just buy fully prepared stuff), when the eggs are done allow to cool, then chop up the eggs, pour seasoning salt on them, and add the eggs and the ham to the salad and toss, season the sald with salt, pepper and seasoning salt to taste, and your done!

there is a lot too it and it takes a while, but its pretty much just chopping and tossing things into a bowl. as long as you can hard boil eggs and boil potatos then you cant really screw it up lol

Are your brocolli, cauliflour and carrots raw or cooked?

Nomilynn
03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
I've had those potatoes before and have always wanted the recipe.. they are SOOO GOOD!!

Another easy thing is cream cheese wraps.. buy wraps and a couple flavour of cream cheese. Spread on the wraps, roll the wraps and then slice them up! They are pretty to look at too..

Suki Wingy
03-30-2009, 10:46 PM
What about something with little or no dairy? My body can't really tolerate much dairy at a time and I'd like to be able to eat what I make.

Vela
03-31-2009, 06:04 AM
The typical Utah potluck dish is cheesy potatoes aka funeral potatoes. At least, when I'm asked I always make that or a desert, and its at every potluck I've ever been to. It's easy and pretty cheap to make. There's a bunch of recipes online for it, I just make it from my head though :o so here's a bad from my head recipe:

2 medium bags of frozen hashbrowns or potato cubes (enough to fill a 9x13 pan, just use your judgement on how many you'll need based on looking at the pan size)
1 large (family size) can of cream of chicken soup
1 medium container of sour cream
3 cups cheddar cheese
Crushed Cornflakes (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350. Pour the hashbrowns into the pan. Mix the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and 2 cups cheese together and pour over the hashbrowns, stir it all together. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top and if you want, crushed cornflakes. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 until its warm and bubbly. ;) I haven't made it in a while I can't remember exactly how long it takes, but just start out with 30 minutes and go from there, you'll be able to tell when its done, the cheese will start to brown and it will be bubbling. You can make it the night before and leave in the fridge and bake it before you go. I usually do that, it bakes faster that way because the hashbrowns have had time to thaw out.

Hahaha love it Amy! Such a Utah dish. I'm not originally from here, so I didn't know what people meant when they said "funeral potatoes", but I love those! Thanks for the recipe, I keep forgettting to make them!

P.S. you need to come out and ride again!

cali
04-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Are your brocolli, cauliflour and carrots raw or cooked?

sorry just caught the question. everything but the taters, eggs and ham are left raw. and you want the taters, eggs and Ham all cold before you do anything with it.

caseysmom
04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Okay thanks I will try it!