PDA

View Full Version : Got the results of my cholesterol tests...

moosmom
03-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Before starting on Lescol, my LDL was 246. I've been on it for six months now and my LDL is 100. Everything else is fine as well. I never thought we'd be able to get it under control.

WOOHOO!!!!

Taz_Zoee
03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Good for you! That's great! :D

Marigold2
03-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Very cool. May I ask how your eatting habits were? I don't eat cheese, smells like stinky feet and am not a big meat eater.

Puckstop31
03-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow... 100? That is a HUGE drop. Did you eat anything other than lettuce? LOL

Congrats!

Medical types... Would a 100 LDL be too low? Is there such a thing as a LDL that is too low?

Laura's Babies
03-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Check out side effects some people are having on this here.. http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21192&name=LESCOL%20XL

Just go read so if you start with any of these, you will know what it is and not have to suffer as long as a lot of us have/did. Also BE SURE you take CoQ-10 with any statin drug as statins deplete this important substance from your body and every cell in your body needs this.

Ok, I will get off my soap box now and shut up...

Karen
03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Congratulations!

K9karen
03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Good for you, Donna!

Thankfully, my cholestrol is fine, as is my BP etc, but, alas, I do have some terrible bad habits. I guess I've been lucky.

Did you change your diet?????

kokopup
03-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Congratulations on getting your cholesterol under control. I fought high Cholesterol and triglyserides for years. Although Doctors hype the use of statins as a wonder drug be careful. If you start having joint pain stop the statin. I took Lopid for yours until one day I woke with joint pain. Before i figured out the statin was causing the pain I already had joint damage. Some people can take them with no problems. I did for years before the symptoms showed up. I was put on Niacin after that and it kept mine under control. Some people can't tolerate Niacin because it causes extreme flushing.

While having a low LDL is good, the main thing is the ratio of HDL to LDL. The idea ratio is 2 to 1 or lower with a total under about 200. VLVD is a factor and should be below 20. HDL+LDL+VLDL=TOTAL You want to keep a high HDL. What was your HDL? It needs to be over 50 and ideally over 60.

Eat a lot of omega 3 rich food. Fish is the best source, Use only mono-unsaturated oils like olive oil for cooking and seasoning. Using omega-3 rich foods will raise your HDL. Good luck on keeping your Cholesterol under control.

moosmom
03-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't eat red meat (well, maybe once a month). I take fish oil tabs on along with my Lescol. I do eat alot of veggies and will make pasta (organic) with fresh vegetables and a little olive oil. I've cut out sugar, processed frozen dinners (although I do like Weight Watchers). I watch my trans and saturated fats closely. I eat alot of yogurt but refuse to give up my cheese, which I eat in moderation.

Dr. Ed was very pleased and said to keep on taking the medss.

smokey the elder
03-30-2009, 09:50 AM
That's great. As long as the meds are helping and not hurting you. It sounds like you have a good diet, too.

Grace
03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Medical types... Would a 100 LDL be too low? Is there such a thing as a LDL that is too low?

No, an LDL of 100 is not too low. As a T2 diabetic, I need to keep mine below 100; preferably around 70. My last one was 69.

On my lab sheet, they give the normal range for LDL - it is 1 to 129.