PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you're trapped at the airport

kuhio98
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
When your flight is delayed, how do you pass the hours?

My flight was supposed to leave at 2:20 p.m. Thursday for Prudhoe Bay. Mt. Redoubt decided to blow its top -- several times -- so flights were canceled. Luckily, I live here, so I could go home and sleep in my own bed last night. I feel so badly for people who were stranded.

So, I'm back at the airport. Redoubt erupted again last night. Flights are delayed again. Huge snowflakes are coming down. So, when the volcanic ash clears, we'll probably have a weather delay. Not looking good at all.

I'm reading "Kabul Beauty School" and it's helping me pass the time. Don't have a DVD player or I could rent a movie. A couple of Native toddlers, hopped up on junk food are using my legs as hurdles. The flight to their village has been delayed for 2 days). :( They're doing pretty good so far, but I know a fall is coming soon. (Followed by much crying and screaming).

Larry (a co-worker) is trying to teach me sign-language. 'Course he's been trying to teach me "Baby's First Signs" for about a year now............ I've got the alphabet down and some basic signs, but I still can't compose a sentence.

Anyway ~ Please share your suggestions for ways to pass time at the airport. :D

caseysmom
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I would probably do like you are and read. The most I have been delayed was 6 hours but the airlines gave us a ton of food vouchers so we went and ate.

Edwina's Secretary
03-27-2009, 01:05 PM
I spend ALOT of time in airports. I am armed with reading material - newspapers, books and magazines. And a laptop. And a cell phone.

And I find a nice quiet space....

The only caution is....don't go to a place so quiet you don't hear the announcements! (From personal - not so good experience! :rolleyes:)

kuhio98
03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I spend ALOT of time in airports. I am armed with reading material - newspapers, books and magazines. And a laptop. And a cell phone.

And I find a nice quiet space....

The only caution is....don't go to a place so quiet you don't hear the announcements! (From personal - not so good experience! :rolleyes:)Good advice.

Well, they just announced that all flights are canceled for the rest of the day, so I'm heading home to pet some kitties. They'll be surprised to see me so soon. Then, we'll head back to the airport tomorrow (hopefully, 3rd time will be the charm) to try again...........

finn's mom
03-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I read, walk around, talk to people, etc.

smokey the elder
03-27-2009, 01:54 PM
I usually go "armed" with books, crossword puzzles and now I have a Crackberry!:D:p

CountryWolf07
03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Sign language? Cool! I know it. :) I am hearing impaired, after all. My boyfriend and I sign to each other quite a bit, but he signs MORE than I do. (learned on his own, too)

I always bring my Ipod to listen to music if I end up trapped at the airport.. a book or two, mainly of what I'm interested into, such as digital photography, etc.

kuhio98
03-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Sign language? Cool! I know it. :) I am hearing impaired, after all. My boyfriend and I sign to each other quite a bit, but he signs MORE than I do. (learned on his own, too)
Larry is very patient with me. I once tried to sign "I have a cat named Halo". He looked very puzzled. Turns out I had signed "I have a tiger named Valo". :D

CountryWolf07
03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Larry is very patient with me. I once tried to sign "I have a cat named Halo". He looked very puzzled. Turns out I had signed "I have a tiger named Valo". :D

Haha. Cute. :) Mike tried to sign the "I love you" hand sign, but ended up signing the "bull ----" sign.. I had to pick on him for that. I know he meant well. ;)

Karen
03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I always have my iPod with me, so I can play games even if there's no Internet connection. If the iPod battery runs out, I can play games on my cell phone, too. I don't spend much time in airports, but always have a book with me when I am traveling, and paper and pencil for sketching. The paper and pencil is also handy for playing games with antsy children - tic-tac-toe, or drawing together - I always have my "stealth crayons" - a miniature set of colored pencils - with me as well. And even the smallest of kids likes to scribble! :) And waiting parents are usually grateful for someone to help distract the kids.

Marigold2
03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
It depends if I am in a cool airport or not. If it's a neat one like Heathrow I shop, if it's one like Cleveland I read. I might buy a magazine and have a cocktail or two. I also talk to people from different parts of the world, I speak German so it's always fun to touch base with Germans or others that speak the language. Love the English, Irish, Scots I ask about their city or town and always have a blast.

Barbara
03-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I also spend some time on airports and just like Sara I think the quiet place is the best thing and not always easy to find. I always have a book and a sudoku booklet with me. :)

kuhio98
03-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, I finally made it to Prudhoe Bay at about 5:00 p.m. (Alaska Time) yesterday. The volcano blew again at about the same time as our flight left Anchorage but it didn't cause a problem for us. Unfortunately, inbound planes were turned away.

The plane my alternate (we share jobs) was on, was turned around and landed in Fairbanks. They spend the night there in a hotel. Since the volcano is still going off, they have hired busses to get them home.

Sure hope it subsides before I'm scheduled to fly home (April 9th).

ramanth
03-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I read. :) Glad you finally caught your flight!

My parents have an Alaskan Cruise scheduled for late May, but they fear it'll be cancelled due to the eruptions.