PDA

View Full Version : Six Dogs Dead in 2009 Iditarod

Catty1
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
OK - this is obviously an opinion piece. I wonder if it is just some racers who will try to win at all costs, even if it means sacrificing their dogs - or if the whole race should be banned. What do you think?
http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/six-dogs-dead-in-2009-iditarod/

Six Dogs Dead in 2009 Iditarod
posted by: Heather Moore 2 hours ago

In early March, just before the start of 37th annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, I wrote about the Iditarod's trail of death and suffering. Many caring people were outraged that dogs are forced to run well past exhaustion in such extremely inhospitable conditions, often succumbing to pneumonia, gastric ulcers, hypothermia, and other illnesses. Others, however; mostly those with a vested interest in the race, attempted to justify the senseless deaths and the needless suffering. Does anyone think there's a way to justify the six tragic deaths that occurred in this year's race?

First there was Victor, a 6-year-old dog on musher Jeff Holt's team, who died suddenly on March 10. A gross necropsy (the canine version of an autopsy) was completed, however, "no cause of death could be determined by the board certified veterinary pathologist." The poor dog likely just ran to death.

Then, on March 16, a search pilot discovered that two dogs (whose names, Dizzy and Grasshopper, were not even included in the Iditarod advisory) on rookie musher Lou Packer's team had apparently frozen to death. Packer and his 15 dogs were "trapped" out in 45-below temperatures and howling wind and Packer said he could feel ice begin to form under the skin of one of the dogs before he died.

Next, on March 19, Maynard, a 5-year-old male on Warren Palrey's team, died on the trail late at night. His necropsy showed "pulmonary edema [fluid in the lungs] was present, which likely developed as the result of a cardiac abnormality." Maynard had been "working hard" on the trail for 11 days leading up to his death. An Anchorage Daily News article also noted that "the stress of that has been known to cause some dogs to develop deadly stomach ulcers."

One day later, Omen, an 8-year-old male on Rick Larson's team, died on the trail between the checkpoints at Elim and White Mountain. As with Maynard, Omen's necropsy indicated that he died from a pulmonary edema.

The sixth dog, a 2-year-old female named Cirque, died during a post-race flight. Cirque, who was on musher Alan Peck's team, was discovered dead when after the plane was forced to land due to significant turbulence. A necropsy has been scheduled to determine the cause of her death.

To call attention to the tragic deaths and demand justice for the dogs, PETA wrote to Alaska state trooper Col. Audie Halloway and ask him to determine if any of the mushers whose dogs died could be charged under the state's cruelty to animals law. Not surprisingly, a troopers' spokeswoman said that the state law does not generally apply to dog mushing contests. The agency further told the media, "Unless the Iditarod Trail Committee indicates some concern over the treatment or cause of death of these animals, no we do not generally investigate those particular events. If someone within the Iditarod Trail Committee or from the public has evidence of behavior that is beyond normal practices of mushing activities, we will gladly look into these acts."

Obviously, "normal practices of mushing" include suffering and death, and there is no excuse for that. Please visit the Sled Dog Action Coalition's site to find out what you can do to end this deadly race once and for all.

aTailOf2Kitties
03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I have mixed feelings onthe Iditarod. I know it is supposed to honor tradition and the diptheria dogs, but to me it is unneccessary to make dogs endure such a long course just for the sake of competition. It does make me feel better to know that there are veterinarians at every checkpoint, from what I've seen on TV. I still wish it was a lot shorter.

caseysmom
03-27-2009, 09:21 AM
There is a thread in dog general about this. My opinion.

1. Peta is involved in this...

2. As Glacier says...you can't make a dog run if they don't want to

Catty1
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I wondered about the PETA reference...but, from the article, it seems that they were involved in only one aspect of this.

PETA might be dorks, but that doesn't make this right.

Glacier is a wonderful person, and even if her dogs didn't want to run, she wouldn't try and make them. I wonder if that applies to other mushers? One of these guys was a 'rookie'.

I'll go a have a boo in Dog General.

aTailOf2Kitties
03-27-2009, 10:08 AM
The Humane Society has pretty much washed their hands of the Iditarod. They don't publically discredit it, but they don't openly support it anymore either.

As far as dogs not running if they don't want to.... you can train a dog to jump off of a cliff or into a shredder too. A loyal dog will happily do whatever you ask of it, if only to please you. ;)

Glacier
03-27-2009, 10:48 AM
As far as dogs not running if they don't want to.... you can train a dog to jump off of a cliff or into a shredder too. A loyal dog will happily do whatever you ask of it, if only to please you. ;)

Clearly you don't own huskies. No self-respecting husky is going to do anything just because a human asked them to do it!

I have a wonderful lead dog who never misses a command, unless he thinks I'm wrong! If Reggae thinks I'm wrong, gave the wrong command or for whatever reason just doesn't want to turn where I told him to, we aren't turning, no matter what I do. I have gotten off the sled a dozen times, moved him the way I wanted, by the time I get back on, he's moved the team back to his way. I've cried, begged, pleaded, even yelled a couple times and I rarely yell at my dogs. (My mentor told me once if it's worth yelling about, it's worth getting off the sled to fix it.)

My Sundin, who is a Yukon Quest finisher, has decided he no longer wants to lead. He'll run about a mile up front and then he locks up the brakes and sits down. No amount of training will change that, he's done as a lead dog. The fact that he's damn good up front; has thousands of miles on his paws; ect, not of that matters; he's done. I run him in swing now and he's a happy dog who wants to run again.

My Sleet, who is retired now but in her prime was the lead dog mushers dream about, would run nowhere but lead. Even as a puppy, if she was farther back in the team, she'd go limp and let the team drag her(an act that becomes life threatening in a hurry). Up front, she was truly flawless, a born leader; she's been retired for four years, I still miss her skill!

You can't push a rope. Commands can be taught, but you can't teach the instinct to pull. A sled dog either wants to run or it doesn't. If it doesn't, nothing a human being does is going to make that dog run.

Glacier
03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Glacier is a wonderful person, and even if her dogs didn't want to run, she wouldn't try and make them. I wonder if that applies to other mushers? One of these guys was a 'rookie'.

Thank you, Catty.

There absolutely are mushers who would try to force a dog to run, but it rarely works out very well for them! Dogs have a limitless range of ways to mess with their musher! A dog who truly doesn't want to run will find a way to make that clear. Like any aspect of animal ownership--horses, birds, cats ect....there are bad mushers out there. I don't think the ratio is any higher than that of bad pet dog owners, bad cat owners, bad horse owners ect.

Some dogs will act up in harness because something is physically wrong--the harness puts pressure on their hips or their back hurts their paw is sore, they are tired ect. Anytime a dog who used to be happy in harness changes how they run, they need to see vet. Some dogs just genuinely don't want to work, even working breeds. Ask my malamute who wouldn't even pull on a leash if his life depended on it!

Lou Packer, the rookie you are referring to, is lucky to be alive himself. I think the rules around rookies in long distance races need to tightened up. Running a couple 300 mile qualifiying races does not make you ready to face the Northern wilderness! Packer did not have the skills and ability to take care of himself and his team when the going got rough. He's damn lucky they I-rod air force could get to him. Had that storm continued and the planes stayed grounded, not only would more of his dogs died, but it's highly likely that he would have frozen to death too. Hans Gatt, a Yukon musher and well known distance racer, said a couple years ago during a brutal storm on the Quest trail.."Someone is going to die out there."....he's right and unfortunately, it will likely take a human death for any race to change their rules for qualifying.

I have huge issues with competitive mushing in general, but I do have respect for Lance Mackey. Other mushers who want to run those kind of races, need to look at what Lance is doing. Clearly he's doing something radically different from other racers. Not only is he in a class by himself for speed, he rarely drops a dog. His dogs don't get tired, they don't get sick or sore. (Racing dogs are drug tested so before anyone suggests it, he's not doping them up!) He dropped one dog this year in the I-rod and said it was because the dog "wasn't having fun anymore." It wasn't hurt or sick, just didnt' seem happy so Lance dropped him. I believe it was the first time in a couple years Lance has had to drop a dog at all. That's impressive to me and says something about his dog care. Clearly, his dog care is also a step above his competitors. Plus he's a genuinely nice guy.

oh, so much more I could say...but I'll shut up now

lizbud
03-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I am against any thing that shortens a dog's natural lifespan.:(:(

Twisterdog
03-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Already voiced my opinions and posted some links here. (http://test.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=151257)

Vela
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
I feel badly for the dogs who get hurt or suffer, but I get tired of seeing Ban this Ban that, Ban everything I don't personally agree with....

Do you want pet ownership to be banned? There are bad pet owners all over. There are bad mushers, there are bad horse owners, there are bad trainers, there are bad breeders, there is bad in EVERYTHING to do with animals. That does not mean we should just go ban everything. There should be repercussions and punishment put in place and actually enacted upon those who do wrong in ANY given environment, but not just willy nilly ban everything.

What about the good pet owners, good mushers, good race horse owners, good pitbull owners, responsible people who take good care of their animals. Even the best possible pet or animal owner in the world can have something bad happen. My horse was only 12, had the best of everything I could provide him, he still colicked and died. Does that mean I should be banned from owning horses? How far do you want the bans to go?

You know the line of people who points fingers and says ban this and ban that because of SOME bad element or an accident resulting in an animal's death, is only waiting in line for someone else to point at them for what they are doing and they may find themselves on the BAN wagon next.

Should the I-rod be banned? no. Should more care be taken with inexperienced runners? yes.

It's a slippery slope when people start calling for bans. Lot of people agree with the pitbull bans, what about those poor owners whose dogs were taken and put down, who had never done anything wrong to anyone. What if they choose YOUR breed next, or ban cat ownership because cats get out and crap in people's gardens and walk on their cars. Do you want them to ban cat ownership?

Agree or disagree with me, not really a big deal to me either way, but I think we best be careful what we call for bans on. We give up more and more of our own rights every day by calling for bans on others.

Better regulation in general, better punishment for people who really do bad things is a much better option.

sparks19
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Does anyone think that banning the iditarod is going to prevent cruelty to these animals? I for one don't. Instead the abuse will happen in the backyard where no one can see it. Just like chaining dogs... some people get all up in arms about that but a chain isn't the abuser... the people are and abusers will find a way to abuse whether there is a race, a chain, whatever.

Now I'm not saying I support the iditarod but I don't think banning it is going to save these dogs from abusers. As for anything that shortens a dogs life... I think quality of life is more important than quantity. If the dog needs to run to be happy... let him run. Again not saying that the iditarod is the best way to do that though.

Bonny
04-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Today I talked to a tourist from Big Delta, Alaska. He said the iditarod has good mushers & bad mushers. There are mushers that will rent out their dog teams to inexperienced mushers & that is where the trouble started. To some the race is about how much money they can make to others it is about the true spirit of the race. They ran into really bad weather & a lot of the dogs are bred to have thinner coats & lack the protection they need if they run into bad weather. There were only two dogs that died that I know of but maybe two dogs to many?