PDA

View Full Version : state car inspection

davidpizzica
03-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Today I have to call the mechanic to have my car inspected. This includes emissions testing too. Pennsylvania can be pretty strict on inspections & emissions. The last time it cost me $63.00 to pass inspection. I was wondering if your state has inspections & emissions?

pomtzu
03-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Yes - Delaware does. However, unlike Pa, we don't pay a third party to do the inspection. It is done at no cost by the Dept of Motor Vehicles at their inspection lanes when it's time to re-register the car. This includes emissions testing. If the car doesn't pass any part of the inspection, then you have to have the appropriate work done by a mechanic (or whatever would apply - like new tires, replace burned out lights, etc), and then take it thru inspection again.

jennielynn1970
03-27-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm in PA, and getting mine done today. Inspection, emissions, oil change and tire check. I'll post the damage later!

moosmom
03-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah, David Connecticut does have emissions testing. But it only cost $20.

prechrswife
03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Louisiana had inspections when we lived there, but they weren't nearly that expensive. Georgia had emissions inspections, but only for cars that were a certain age. If you had a newer car, you didn't have to do it. That may have only been a metro-Atlanta thing, too, because I don't think we had to do it in south Georgia. Florida doesn't have anything that I know of along those lines.

aTailOf2Kitties
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't think TN requires it, unless you live in the big city. I live in a rural county and they don't care how toxic your car is or how many windows are intact, as long as you pay to put tags on it. I think my county is probably responsible for half of the rusted-out, cracked windshielded, smoke-screening, 1992 Toyota pickups still on the road :p

Laura's Babies
03-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Lousiaina required them. It was $18 the last time I had it done, has to be done yearly.

My old dodge stratus fail the test one time. She said the computer on the car needed to be woke up! Working like I do and it sitting up as much as it was, the computer had shut down while I was gone. She laughed and told me to take it out on the interstate and drive it hard and fast to wake it up and come back. It only happened that one time.

davidpizzica
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Pennsylvania is the land of taxes and ruled by Ed Rendell so our emissions testing is a little more expensive. Three areas in Pa. require emission testing, Pittsburgh, Scranton/Wilkes Barre, and Philadelphia, because they have the most cars. I'm pretty sure that my 2007 Cobalt will pass easily.

lvpets2002
03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
:) Texas has it only if your in a larger city.. Now in the smaller towns & more route areas its not manded.. However David I think $63.00 is a little bit too High.. It only cost $39.75 here for the same test..

pomtzu
03-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Wow! I'm really surprised to read that so many states only require emissions testing in metro areas. Here in DE - it is mandatory statewide - however, not yearly - only when renewing your registration. When buying a new car off the lot, you can get a 5 year registration, so no testing required till that needs to be renewed. After that you can get a 2 year renewal registration, so you have to have the emission check every 2 years.
With all the issues with air pollution, you would think that it would be a requirement that all cars statewide in every state, would have to pass an emission test. :confused:

Karen
03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
We have to get each car inspected every year - they check emissions, wiper blades, headlights, tires, tail and brake lights. The standards for emissions are less strict for really old cars, from what I remember when I was driving rolling wrecks!

It's more expensive than some of you - $29 a year.

Always run your car for at least ten minutes before getting it inspected - helps "clear the pipes" and warm the engine up.

Edwina's Secretary
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
In Illinois the emission testing is done by the state (or was when I lived there.) And, I believe - only in metro areas.

Pomtzu - Delaware is a comparatively small state. There is a lot of ground to cover in Illinois, Texas, California, Alaska for example.

California requires emission testing as well but you have to go to private vendor. There are plenty of them.

Both states, in my experience, only test emissions and frequency is based on the age of the vehicle.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
We have the inspection every year, starting on the 4th "birthday"of your car! And it is a very tough inspection!!
:eek::rolleyes:

pomtzu
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Pomtzu - Delaware is a comparatively small state. There is a lot of ground to cover in Illinois, Texas, California, Alaska for example.

Yup - DE keeps the state clean with our own cars, yet we get so much pollution blowing on us from across the river and bay from Philadelphia and Baltimore, that we don't need to make our own!!! :D:eek:

jennielynn1970
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
YIKES... just got a call from the shop. My inspection, emissions and the 15,000 mile service is costing me $233. :eek: They said that everything I needed for the inspection was with the 15000 mile service, so they would do that. Sigh. Was hoping for something under $100. Oh well.

Scooter's Mom
03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm in Arizona and I just renewed my registration for a 2006 Impala... $261.96 for 1 year. If I had chosen the 2 year option it would have been $474.68. Didn't need the emissions inspections yet... you only do that if your car is over a specific age.

We have the 2004 Mustang to renew in May. It will probably need the emissions inspection, since it is 5 years old. Yuck. But on the brighter side, the registration is only about $150 for it since it is considered an older car.

smokey the elder
03-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Do you have to pay property tax on your car? In NY it's about $90 for a 2 year registration. Emissions is every 2 years; brand new cars not until two years after the model year. Safety is every year. My 2003 Matrix did not need emissions until 2005. I think safety is like $10 and emissions is $25, but who knows with the lovely deficit in NY this year?

davidpizzica
03-27-2009, 02:28 PM
YIKES... just got a call from the shop. My inspection, emissions and the 15,000 mile service is costing me $233. :eek: They said that everything I needed for the inspection was with the 15000 mile service, so they would do that. Sigh. Was hoping for something under $100. Oh well.

Jenn, the grand total for me was $68.90 for the emissions and inspection. I passed the emissions test, but I need a new set of tires to pass the inspection part and get the sticker.

Marigold2
03-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes we have it here in Ohio as well.
HOpe you are feeling better. I think that everyone from PT was sending you hugs, prayers and good thoughts.

AllAmericanPUP
03-28-2009, 09:47 AM
we don't have any inspections where i live.

gemini9961
03-28-2009, 09:48 AM
No inspections in Florida. The yearly registrations for our cars (2006 HHR and 2001 Grand Prix) are under $40.00 each. They are both due in June (my birthday).

Grace
03-28-2009, 11:30 AM
No inspections in Michigan.

davidpizzica
03-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Yes we have it here in Ohio as well.
HOpe you are feeling better. I think that everyone from PT was sending you hugs, prayers and good thoughts.

Thanks. I'm doing better, but still a little tired. PT is known for good prayers.

Seravieve
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
We have Safety And Emissions here in Missouri. Safety is $12 and Emissions is $24. I do 2 year plates here so its about $50 (for an SUV, cars are cheaper) for the plate registration plus the two tests.

I dropped my car off at Nissan for both plus an oil change yesterday. Called me back and said I have two leaks.. Coolant and Main valve something-or-nother. Both are covered by my extended warranty luckily. $1500 for labor alone. :eek: But I only have to pay $50 (warranty deductible). I only take it to the dealer for warranty work, I wouldn't dare pay their $120/hr labor rate out of my pocket! It didnt pass safety due to the front brake pads, so I get to take it to another place (Cheaper!!) to get those replaced and the drive belts as well. Yippee. It's an 03 Xterra, so 6 years on the belts isnt bad I guess.

They used to have a different kind of Emissions testing here, where you'd take it to certain 'clean air' facilities and they'd hook stuff up to the exhaust and drive it on those stationary cylinder thingies... It was $24 then.. and now they just plug in a cord and read the car's computer.. for the same price! And if your car's too old to have the computer read, you get a free pass. Lucky them... Kind of defeats the purpose, since older cars would be more likely to be causing more pollution than the newer ones. :rolleyes:

davidpizzica
03-31-2009, 09:50 AM
My cobalt is now good for another year. It needed two new front tires. The total cost with the inspection and tires came to about $220.75. Now I don't have to worry about it until next march.

Cataholic
03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Marigold2;2135834]Yes we have it here in Ohio as well.
QUOTE]

Actually, in Ohio, it is county by county. We no longer have it in Hamilton County. My tags expire in December, and the new law went into effect in January. I let my tags lapse to avoid paying the emissions testing fee.