PDA

View Full Version : Too much salt?

slleipnir
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey all, I haven't been around much lately so I'm not sure if you remember me or not.

Anyway, I have a quick question. My brothers girlfriend made a small clay house out of flour and salt. Josie ate it and has since been drinking a ton of water and peeing. I know the salt would make her thirsty, and then need to pee. Is this something I should be worried about? Or should I just let her drink as much as she wants? She's acting a little funny. Doesn't want to sit still much.

Catlady711
03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm trying to Google some accurate info for you, not having luck so far, but from what little info I've read so far it's sounding like maybe a call to the ER for advice might be in order.

I'll keep digging and see what I can find out.

Catlady711
03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
I would say that your brother should definately take the child to the ER!:eek:

From what I've been reading even with drinking lots of water there is still a very high sodium content in the urine that the kidneys have a very hard time deailng with. Also it appears that drinking large amounts of water and urinating like that can cause electrolytes to be imbalanced which can cause even more problems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15516309

That's the closest thing I could find on authoritative information. Most things I ran across were just news headlines or web forums which I would doubt the accuracy of the info.

I hope the child will be ok and will not have any problems. Please keep us updated.

Karen
03-26-2009, 01:59 AM
I hope the child will be ok and will not have any problems. Please keep us updated.

Josie's a lab, not a hooman kid. I hope she'll be okay, drinking a lot is understandable, I'd just keep an eye on her for the next day or so, okay? I know Labs THINK they are vacuum cleaners, but not everything's safe to ingest, silly dog!

happylabs
03-26-2009, 08:31 AM
I would call the vet. I have experience in this because my Lab Casey has eaten many things over the years that she shouldn't have. When I call my vet they say, "what has Casey eaten now". Actually, now that she is a senior citizen, she doesn't do it as much. One time she ate 7 Chocolate Choclate Chip muffins!!! The kids had left the bag on the stove within paws reach. I was horrified. The vet said with her size she would be okay. She never got sick or anytyhing. Good luck. Hope yours is okay.

Catlady711
03-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Josie's a lab, not a hooman kid.

Ah, see I always load up the pages under 'New Posts' so the catagories are always messed up. I didn't realize this was a dog not a child. I'd still think the same thing would apply though for electrolytes and kidneys.

I hope Josie is ok.

Daisy and Delilah
03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Audrey, I think a big problem might be that she'll retain water with the salt. It could be harmful. I would call the vet. Best wishes that all is ok.

I definitely remember you and I was just thinking about you. Miss you!!:)

wolf_Q
03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Audrey! I've missed you and the pups and kitties. Any chance of some new pics? :) I don't have any advice other then calling a vet and seeing what they say. I hope Josie is okay!

king2005
03-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I have no advice for this case :(
I do hope Josie will be ok. Shes such a cuttie :)
Give her a cookie & an ear scratch for me :love:

Audrey can you PM me your cell # again? I lost it when I lost my cell back in Dec 2008. We need to make more plans to get together again. Anime North is coming up & I'll hopefully be in PEI next summer (not this one, Digi's Emergency ate all that money).. Digi will be coming!!

I'm also in favor of updated pics :)

slleipnir
03-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone. I did call the vet. She said it was nothing to worry about as long as she drank a lot. She's fine now, so all is well :)

I'll attach a couple pics :)

ChrisH
03-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear Josie is ok. :D

Great photos of your beautiful crew! Thanks for sharing.

king2005
03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
glad to hear she'll be fine!

Wow, Zeke has a lot of white on his muzzle, but hes still as cute as EVER!
How old is Zeke & Josie now?

slleipnir
03-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Yeah, my little boy is getting older :( Zeke is 6, and Josie is 10.

king2005
03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Old or not, both dogs are still super cute!
Does Zeke still rest his head on your shoulder when your driving? That is still 1 of the cutest things I have ever seen! :)

Karen
03-27-2009, 03:59 PM
I am glad Josie is okay! I have found that, no matter how old a Lab gets, they still tend to see the world as one giant buffet, and will eat anything even remotely edible if not dissuaded!

Oh, Jess is right, Zeke does have a lot of white on his muzzle - but with his markings, unless you knew what he looked like before, you wouldn't necessarily think it's "old age" white hair! :)

We worried when Gracie, our 3/4 Great Dane, 1/4 Lab started going grey at age 4 - but she lived to 14 1/2, so it's no indication of anything bad! :)

slleipnir
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Old or not, both dogs are still super cute!
Does Zeke still rest his head on your shoulder when your driving? That is still 1 of the cutest things I have ever seen! :)

He does sometimes, but we got a new truck with a bigger back seat so he doesn't as much. He squints a lot though with I think is adorable haha

king2005
03-27-2009, 04:51 PM
oooo a new truck!!
what did ya get?

Daisy and Delilah
03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm glad to hear the good news.

Thanks for the great pictures. Everybody looks great!!:)

Catlady711
03-28-2009, 12:15 AM
So very glad to hear Josie is ok. Sorry for my mistake of thinking she was human. Although our pets frequently are family, so I was close. lol

wolf_Q
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Great pictures, all of them! Please give them all a hug for me, especially my Zeke boy. ;) :love: