PDA

View Full Version : This Thai fireman is my hero, too

Medusa
03-24-2009, 06:48 AM
This story really touched me.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1048110

BANGKOK (AFP) – A Thai fireman turned superhero when he dressed up as comic-book character Spider-Man to coax a frightened eight-year-old from a balcony, police said Tuesday.

Teachers at a special needs school in Bangkok alerted authorities on Monday when an autistic pupil, scared of attending his first day at school, sat out on the third-floor ledge and refused to come inside, a police sergeant told AFP.

Despite teachers' efforts to beckon the boy inside, he refused to budge until his mother mentioned her son's love of superheroes, prompting fireman Sonchai Yoosabai to take a novel approach to the problem.

The rescuer dashed back to his fire station and made a quick change into a Spider-Man costume before returning to the boy, he said.

"I told him Spider-Man is here to rescue you, no monsters are going to attack you and I told him to walk slowly towards me as running could be dangerous," Somchai told local television.

The young boy immediately stood up and walked into his rescuer's arms, police said.

Somchai said he keeps the Spider-Man costume and an outfit of Japanese television character Ultraman at the station in order to liven up school fire drills.

RICHARD
03-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Somchai said he keeps the Spider-Man costume and an outfit of Japanese television character Ultraman at the station in order to liven up school fire drills.

So what does he dress as for Halloween?;)

The one thing that I thought of about the 'way things are run' here in the States is that had this happened here----

1 The FF would have been written up for being out of uniform, derelection of duty for going back to the firehouse for the costume.

2 The FF union would have had to try and rescind any write up.

3 Marvel Comics would have sued for a copyright infringement/unlawful use of a superhero/copyrighted character!

4 The parents would have sued the firefighter for making the kid believe in a comic book character.

5 The school would have sent a note home for absenteeism and sent the child to detention for missing the day.

Great story.......

DJFyrewolf36
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
So what does he dress as for Halloween?;)

The one thing that I thought of about the 'way things are run' here in the States is that had this happened here----

1 The FF would have been written up for being out of uniform, derelection of duty for going back to the firehouse for the costume.

2 The FF union would have had to try and rescind any write up.

3 Marvel Comics would have sued for a copyright infringement/unlawful use of a superhero/copyrighted character!

4 The parents would have sued the firefighter for making the kid believe in a comic book character.

5 The school would have sent a note home for absenteeism and sent the child to detention for missing the day.

Great story.......

Richard I hate to say this but you are so right...

What a touching story! Thank you for sharing.