PDA

View Full Version : Agility with Finn - Week Four

finn's mom
03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I have been wanting to do this for years, and we finally have the opportunity. The class is just right for us, it's not even five minutes away, decent price, etc. I can't wait! It's six weeks, on Monday nights at 7pm! The best part is that the beginning class that we're end is all on leash, so I can try out agility without worrying about Finn's recall at first. :) I'm so excited! :D

WEEK ONE
Our first class was fun. Finn's not a barker at home, but he barks non stop at the Dock Dog events. Apparently, seeing agility equipment sparks the same vocals. :rolleyes: And, he got the zoomies really badly. The reason I wanted to start this class is to help us with focus, not to mention the bonding experience and exercise. But, hopefully, this will help me help him to focus a little more. To his defense, though, he's been pretty cooped up the last few months, since I've been sick twice already this year!

WEEK TWO
This class was way more fun than the last week. We didn't do as much talking, so that was good. ;) I brought a bumper for Finn, especially for the restrained recall, and it did the trick. He ran right up to me, and didn't do the zoomies like last time! I played with him while the others worked with their dogs, as we go one at a time. That helped tire him out a little between sessions. We practiced on a little ladder on the ground to learn coordination and control (he didn't do well at all, but he did get one more foot in the second time around, so there's improvement!). We worked on a big wooden square that was balancing on a ball (to learn control and balance on something moving). We did pretty well with it! He doesn't have a problem with noise and movement, just control! He does everything full bore, so this class will hopefully help with his focus. The last thing we worked on was walking on a long skinny board placed on the ground. He did better on that than the ladder, getting three feet on at once. ;) Overall, it was a blast and he is sleeping, now! :)

WEEK THREE
Oops. Pregnancy Brain. I completely forgot about the class. :( Then, the next Monday, class was cancelled. SOOO...onto the next week!

WEEK FOUR
Lots of fun! All I missed in week three was the tunnel, which Finn has no problem with. This week, we split into small groups (we were in a group with a cocker spaniel and a pug mix) and alternated obstacles. First, we worked on the ladder on the ground, which Finn still is a clown with. We'll keep working on his coordination! The next one was the flat board on the ground, which he does great with. Moved on to the board that rests on the ball, and he did really well with that again, too. Then, we worked on the tunnel, which he barreled through, no problem. :) Just gotta keep working on the ladder thing at home, as well as targeting. Monday is our fifth class, and only one more after that. :(

Shelteez2
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Congrats!! Agility is so much fun. I think you and Finn will do great at it. Keep us updated on how it goes. :)

finn's mom
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Congrats!! Agility is so much fun. I think you and Finn will do great at it. Keep us updated on how it goes. :)

Thanks, I will! It may be as far as we're able to go for awhile with the training, but they have fun meets and stuff at the place we're going...so hopefully, even if I don't have Finn, I can take photos! :)

k9krazee
03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
That's awesome, I'm sure Finn will love it!

Agility is my favorite, I can't wait until I can actually practice on a regular basis with Jack do more than 2 trials a year. lol

boomersooner
03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Boomer is in a pre agility class...there are three sessions before he starts the actual agility part....It sounds like fun!!!! I hope I can keep up with him..LOL

binka_nugget
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Have fun!! :D I love agility! We started agility almost a year ago.. we have our first real trial in Washington in a few weeks. You'll love it!! :D

Flatcoatluver
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Congrats! I have been doing agility for almost 6 years now, I love it!

cassiesmom
03-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Good luck to Finn and mom! :) I'll look forward to hearing about it!

Freedom
03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Hooray! You and Finn will enjoy it, I bet!

I loved Agility.

Sadly, Lacey had a different opinion, so we didn't get to do much.

finn's mom
03-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Just bumping this up...I'll update the original post with a brief description on how we did at class! :)

Daisy and Delilah
03-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I know you and Finn will do fantastic, Kari.

Speaking as a mother and the "pretend" Grandma of the little one, be careful out there! I don't want you hurting yourself.:)

finn's mom
03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
We had a great class, read about it the original post if you wanna. :love:

finn's mom
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I went to Home Depot to buy PVC pipe for a "ladder" like we used at last night's class. It worked great, and Finn had all four feet in multiple times! I will have to try to work with him every day so that on Monday, he's a star at it. :)

wolf_Q
03-31-2009, 05:59 PM
It sounds like you and Finn are having a great time! I think I will start an agility class with Keva in May when school is over. I wish I had a place close like that to me, the closest is at least 30 minutes.

finn's mom
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Bumping this up, for those interested in our class progress! :)