PDA

View Full Version : Our Cassie Dog

boomersooner
03-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Our Cassie is 3 months shy of 15 years old. This weekend, she hasn't been able to get up, and when we get her up, she walks several steps and usually falls....I'm going to talk to the vet tomorrow, but I'm afraid the time has come to say goodbye...Questions for those who have been through this with an old dog.....I don't know if she is in pain or not...but she does cry out if we touch her around her neck or side, about half the time..If she were in constant pain, would she cry out more?..also, all four of her paws are ice cold....Is this a sign she is dying, no circulation? Thank you for your answers.....

Cinder & Smoke
03-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi God ~

We gotz sum trubbel down here onna ole Durt Ball ...
Spotty Dawg Cassie is havin a problem gettin allua Pawz to werk rite.

Kan You run down an take a look wiffa White Coat an let Mom know what ta do?

We'll round up a buncha PT Purrayers and send 'em along;
Maybe You kuld warp sum {{{God'sHugs}}} around Cassie's Mom.

Thanks, God!
/s/ the Prayer Pups

Alysser
03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you. I know what it's like to loose a beloved dog. You joined the month Sassy died so I'm not sure if you know my story but anyways Sas was 10 years old, she was pretty old considered a senior. We had tried everything for her arthritis but it just took its toll on her. She couldn't even get up anymore and she limped with every step that she MANAGED to take.

Anyway, I really don't know about the circulation thing and I hate to say it but it might be her time. I hope to god that your vet can give you some options on what to do with Cassie. Only you will know when it's time in the long run..

((hugs))

pomtzu
03-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm so sorry to read about Cassie's problem. I don't claim to know much about animal health, but the cold paws does sound like a circulation problem. Sorry I can't offer more help. Prayers for you and Cassie both. I will light a candle for her.

cassiesmom
03-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Prayers for you and Cassie both. I will light a candle for her.

same for me (((HUGS)))

boomersooner
03-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank you for all of your prayers....she just looks at me with those soulful eyes....she hasn't even tried to get up today.....she just shakes.....I'm not going to put her through anything that will hurt her....or prolong her suffering...I just know that God is good, and He will let us know when He wants Cassie back.....be it tomorrow or later.....

MonicanHonda
03-22-2009, 04:50 PM
:( Oh no miss Cassie. Sounds exactly like what I"m going through with Honda. She can hardly get up and when she stands she only stands on one leg. I'm going to talk to the vet on Monday to see what we should do. Luckily your Cassie has lived a longer life than my Honda. And I'm sure her life has been great. You don't want her to be in pain, so I think she would tell you when her time to go is. Poor old girl. I'm here for you if you want to talk.

Casper
03-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I am sorry to hear Cassie is having some problems.
Has she been interested in eating any lately?

I do not mean to scare you, but I know you are looking for honest opinions. I just wanted to throw in that the week prior to my Frisk making that final trip to the RB he was wobby and would often fall after taking a few steps. I had noticed his paws were colder than normal but did not pay much thought to it back then. I did not know if it was because of his sudden onset of diabetes or something else...

((((Hugs))) and prayers going out to Cassie and all of her humans. :love: You will all be in my thoughts.

Taz_Zoee
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Cassie. If it is time for her to go (and I really hope it's not) you will know and will do what's right for her.

HUGS to you, Cassie and Boomer.

aTailOf2Kitties
03-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I went through a lot with my 15 year old Elkhound mix before leading her across the bridge. She was on joint medicine for her old bones. PPA for incontinance, and a host of other meds. Finally got her body back working, but then her mind went senile. Anipryl did the trick for a few years but then her body started failing again. I knew it was time to let her go when I came home from work and she was laying in the exact same spot she was in when I left, and had soiled herself. I carried her down the stairs and outside like I had been doing for ages, and sat her down in the grass. She just slumped to the ground and said "I can't do it anymore" with her age-clouded eyes and soiled herself again. She wasn't in pain, but her body was clearly worn out. I knew what I had to do. That was 5 years ago and I still miss her every day.

Your Cassie is asking for your help, and a heart-to-heart between your family, Cassie and your veterinarian will help you make the right decision. If you do decide to lead her across the bridge, just rely on memories of the good times you have had together to get you through. If that fails you have your friends here at PT if you need a shoulder to lean (or cry) on.:love:

Prayers coming for your Cassie!

boomersooner
03-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Thank you for all of your kind words....I think, too, her little body is just worn out....She won't even let me help her stand.....I fed her some steak, and she wolfed that down....She can't lift her head to drink so I spent about 10 minutes giving her water with a med. dropper, two teaspoons at a time.....In my head, I know the time has come. My family and I have talked, and a decision will be made after I talk to the vet tomorrow.....I know we have had her much longer than we expected to, so anytime after that had definately been a bonus.....She is a very sweet dog, but I think the time is here...or that's the way I feel right now......Thanks again for all of your sweet and kind words and thoughts....I really, really appreciate them...

Seravieve
03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Awww this is soo sad. I have a soft spot for Dals (as posted before) and this just breaks my heart. Sounds similar to what happened to my Pepper before we had to send her off to the RB.

(((((((Hugs to all of you))))))

Daisy and Delilah
03-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. It's the worst feeling in the world. I know you're making the right decisions. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Cassie and your family. Please give her a gentle kiss from me.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}:(