PDA

View Full Version : Food change for Morgan...Mr. Finicky

Moesha
03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, here's the story. Morgan, my diabetic kitty, has been on Purina DM for several years now. It has regulated his sugar very well so that he hasn't had to have insulin shots. It worked right away. Because of that, I was afraid to alter his diet at all. He has eaten the same thing, in the same amounts, every day for going on 4 years. At the beginning of February, Morgan had some litter box problems, and the vet said he had struvite crystals. We changed his diet to Science Diet SD for just over a month. The plan was for him to go back to the DM after his 4 weeks on the SD. He had to be on the SD a few extra days because I was on vacation and didn't want to have to write instructions for changing him back to the DM. I have been home a week now and have been trying to switch him back to the DM. He is having NO PART of that! I've mixed the SD and DM. He'll pick out the SD and leave the DM and come and cry and cry for more food. I tried putting only the DM out. He'd nibble a few pieces and that was it. Yesterday I went into the vet's office to ask for advice. Since Morgan's blood work was very good last month, the vet said to give him any food and we'd recheck the blood at his annual exam in May. (Well, he asked what Morgan had eaten before the DM and that was Science Diet Light. He said to put him back on that. Morgan didn't love that, and he gained weight on it every time we'd go to the vet. So I wasn't going to give it to him.) I'd asked about a grain free food and the doctor wasn't very enthusiastic about it. But once he gave me the okay to give him the food of my choice, I went and bought some EVO today. I bought the bigger bag hoping that Morgan would eat it because it was definitely more economical to buy the 15 pound bag rather than the 6. I put some in Morgan's bowl and held my breath. He scarfed it down! YaY! Now I'm waiting for the extra smelly poops to begin. I think that Catty1 said that when she switched that was a result. As long as Morgan likes it and his sugar stays under control, we'll let the litter take care of the smell. Morgan is a big coverer thankfully! Another bonus is the EVO is not as expensive as the DM was either!

catmandu
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Now that Michael aka Mr Purrr and Juke Joint Joseph cannot eat Dry Food and A/D is not a good long term food I am buying EVO Canned Turkey and Chicken.
Its so good taht as Jimmy Durante used to say everybody wants to get into the act, so that food sure goes fast.
Wellness Chicken is good as is thier old standby Science Diet Turkey.
And Nutro Chicken and Turkey!!!
And some selections fro Meals on Wheels as Aunt Janice picks up special odrers when she caters a special affair.
Its worth the extra money for My Cats to be happy and well fed!!!
:love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Morgan has become such a finicky eater but I'm glad to hear that he seems to love the Innova Evo.:) Hopefully he'll do well on it. It does have a lot of calories so you need to be careful how much you feed him. It's really helped Storm's crystals and UTI infections and all of my cats seem much healthier, happier, and energetic now too.:) I deal with the stinky stools daily so I make sure to always have plenty of Oust on hand. Starr never covers his pee or stools. Good luck.:)