PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Opinions - Neglected Dog.

Twisterdog
03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Seeking some opinions here, please.

Here is the story:

One of my employee's daughters is in her early twenties, has a baby, is still out at the bars partying almost every night, etc. She is now supposedly getting kicked out of her apartment and has to move. The drama goes on and on ...

She also has a six month old Chinese crested puppy. While I do not think she is outright abusive to the dog, she is, IMO, neglectful. She leaves the puppy, which is not housetrained because she is never home to train it, in an former back porch which was turned into a laundry room. While you can't technically call it "unheated" since it's part of the house, it is NOT warm back there, especially for a hairless dog. Her sister told me the dog "never" has food or water unless she goes over and gives it some. While this is probably an exaggaration, I'm sure there is a lot of truth to it. Her son, who is almost two, is also said to be very rough with the dog.

So, I asked her if she would give me the dog. She told me she would sell me the dog for what she paid for it. (I happen to know she didn't pay for it, she talked her boyfriend-du-jour into buying it for her, but whatever.) She will not budge on the price. While I can afford it, and really want to help this dog, something about buying a BYB puppy from a flaky kid kind of rubs me the wrong way. You know?

So, what do you think? Buy the puppy to save it, or let things be?

Thanks.

finn's mom
03-20-2009, 10:52 PM
If there's another way to help the puppy, I'd try it. If not, and I had the money, I'd probably buy it. What a crappy situation, though.

Giselle
03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I would not buy the puppy. It doesn't feel ethical to me. In my book, it's sort of rewarding her for being a neglectful piece of ****.

She buys a puppy. She doesn't give a rat's arse about it. And she gets compensated for it and can relinquish it with impunity? Nope! No way would I pay her.

And in the case the situation gets dangerous: Call AC.

caseysmom
03-20-2009, 11:37 PM
I would pay her and take the poor thing...think of him not the girl.

Grace
03-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Seems to me that someone should take the dog and the baby.

scrain2329
03-21-2009, 02:19 AM
well, I couldn't do the poll.. to open ended.
I would explain basically what you explained here. Say that by the looks of it, it is a neglectful situation. Explain that you can call animal control and she can pay the consequences there, (I was thinking mention what would happen to the puppy but it seems like that might not even matter..) or say surrender the dog to you, without paying, and let her know she honestly wins this way. refuse to pay for the dog, tell her she will end up paying herself and really be in trouble then. If the puppy is physically suffering, its only fair to take the dog and pay for its sake, but try to work around the situation first. At least, this is what I would do. Good luck, and hope to hear good news!

Freedom
03-21-2009, 08:48 AM
One of my employee's daughters . . . .

Is the mom involved at all in helping the dog? I mean, sounds like that is how you found out about it. Or is the mom saying, deal with the daughter directly?

I think I would do what scrain 2329 advised, try talking to her. You need to learn who the vet is, as you will want to get any vet history. Is she willing to give that to ya?

If you KNOW she didn't pay for the dog, why not say that when she says she wants what she paid for it?

Part of me just wants to report her to animal and child welfare! :rolleyes:

Please don't do NOTHING, this doggie needs you or someone to help it, somehow!

Glad you are investigating options! Keep it up.

lizbud
03-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I would pay & take the dog out of there. It's not the pup's fault she's
such a loser.

I think she'd probably jump at the chance for a fist full of cash. Best of
luck getting the dog away from that situation.

Twisterdog
03-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I have already called Animal Control. I knew, based on decades of past experience with our AC, what the response would be before I even called, but I had to give the token effort. They said they would have to see and document the fact that the dog had no food or water, over a period of time, before they could even give her a warning. They told me that, frankly, this would be impossible to do with a dog kept in the house. All the owner has to do is say, "I picked up the bowls to sweep." AC basically told me good luck, maybe I could get the dog away from her, but they couldn't do anything.

She does have vet records, and the dog is up to date on shots ... only because her older sister took the puppy to the vet and did it.

This girl is estranged from her mother, my employee and best friend, because her mother is in the process of trying to get custody of the baby. I am totally on the mother's side here, that baby needs to go to his grandparents, no doubt.

I have tried talking to her. She denies neglecting the dog, of course. She swears she paid for it (although I KNOW she didn't). She has had enough past dealings with Animal Control over other dogs that she knows exactly what they will and will not do. She is a piece of work. And I have known this girl for ten years, I know talking, begging, threatening is pointless. I have one option - buy the dog. That's why I only put the two options in the poll - with this girl, those are, sadly, the only two options that exist.

Karen
03-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I am not normally a deceitful person, but what about giving her a check, taking the pup, and stopping at the bank on the way home and stopping payment on the check?

Or, I bet if you gave her a smaller amount - if you showed up with half her "asking" price in cash, she'd give you the dog.

snowbelle15
03-21-2009, 12:14 PM
If you have the money, pay her and take the puppy. Do anything you can to get the pup outta there. The dog deserves so much better.

finn's mom
03-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree with Karen. I hadn't thought of that, but once you have the dog in your possession, she'd be hard pressed to do anything about it. Of course, then you would have a really angry neighbor who would probably seek revenge.

Twisterdog
03-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I already tried offering her half, then 3/4, of the asking price. No.

I couldn't do that - give her a check and stop payment. I just couldn't. Plus, I think she WOULD have recourse if I did that. Couldn't she just call the sheriff and say, "This lady bought a dog from me, and then stopped payment on the check. So I want to go get the dog back." I think she could. At any rate, that's not exactly legal, is it? Couldn't she take me to court, or turn me over to collections? :eek:

pomtzu
03-21-2009, 12:46 PM
I too would buy the dog, and temp her with "cash in the face", but less than she wants. She would probably take what you offer, just so she could afford to do some bar-hopping! :eek:

Poor dog!!!

Daisy and Delilah
03-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think she should be rewarded either. However, if she is demanding money, I suppose I would have to give it to her to save the dog. It would give me peace of mind if I had the dog, knowing he/she was well taken care of after leaving her.

What Karen said will probably work. I would give it a shot. Good luck with it and bless you for helping this poor little doggie.:(

Karen
03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I already tried offering her half, then 3/4, of the asking price. No.

I couldn't do that - give her a check and stop payment. I just couldn't. Plus, I think she WOULD have recourse if I did that. Couldn't she just call the sheriff and say, "This lady bought a dog from me, and then stopped payment on the check. So I want to go get the dog back." I think she could. At any rate, that's not exactly legal, is it? Couldn't she take me to court, or turn me over to collections? :eek:

I was thinking she's already facing court proceedings for her son, and wouldn't want to try to sue you as well, and the fact that you know that she didn't originally pay for the dog as she claimed would make her hesitate to bring it to court.

scrain2329
03-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I was thinking she's already facing court proceedings for her son, and wouldn't want to try to sue you as well, and the fact that you know that she didn't originally pay for the dog as she claimed would make her hesitate to bring it to court.

same thoughts after reading back through everything.

Its an option, I dont think she should be rewarded. It may be worth it to try and get pictures with no food, for a small period of time. multiple written statements of people who would prove she isnt fit for the dog, and just present it to her and make it seem like you have already talked to AC and they have the evidence they need once you hand them this paper work.
but if she is honestly that freaky about it just pay. last resort, even though it sounds like your already there.

If the dog is UTD on shots, doesnt look extremely skinny or unhealthy the process can prob wait a little bit to get the evidence and say save us both the hassle. ?

i don't know, I feel awful for you but thank dogness you are there to make sure this dog is going to be ok, and that the other people involved are making sure too. that could be evidence also, the receipts of others paying for the bills and statements that they have to feed the dog? i dunno I am stumped :confused:

AllAmericanPUP
03-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Paying her for a dog she is neglecting won't stop her from getting another puppy in the future and neglecting it too

Catlady711
03-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Paying her for a dog she is neglecting won't stop her from getting another puppy in the future and neglecting it too

I've seen that one at work WAY too often. Get dog A, neglect it, give dog away (or gets HBC) 1-2 years later, then goes out gets dog B, repeat same scenario, gets cat A, repeat same scenario. Very sad!

I agree that paying her would reward her poor treatment of the dog and give her money to go get another pet hoping she'd get more money for it.

Based on our local AC (not a good one by any means) they've basically said that as long as 'someone' (doesn't matter who) is feeding or caring for the animal in lieu of the owner that their hands are tied. Much as it might pain people to let the animal go without food/water/shelter that's the only way they can see neglect. If someone else is taking care of those things for the owner then there would be no neglect based on our AC's laws.

buttercup132
03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I would buy the dog, I would probly do what Karen said first.
Doesn't seem like she has alot of money if she is being so persistant about getting the money so I highly doubt she would bring you to court.

Would you keep it?

Catty1
03-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Can you arrange with the sister to "poof" the dog?

As others have said, not likely she would sue you.

Twisterdog
03-22-2009, 01:06 AM
No, no dog poofing going to happen, I'm afraid. She would know exactly who took it, and exactly who it was given to.

The "reward for irresponsibility" aspect of this is what has bothered me for a week. That's why I haven't acted thusfar.

Realistically, though, this girl has had probably a dozen dogs since she has been on her own, and she is only 21. If she wants another one, she will get it. She can get one from county AC for $10, or just have the next boyfriend buy her another BYB puppy. Me giving or not giving her this money isn't going to change that. I know the last two dogs before this one were a yorkie and a schnauzer puppy. Don't know what happened to them.

Also, to be realistic, it's a purebred puppy. She can sell it. Sadly, it might be to the first person with the cash, who might be just as bad as she is. It's not like she has only the choice of sell it to me, or keep it. She can put an ad in the paper or put a flyer up, and sell it. She will get the money, one way or another, for it. I'd just rather see it go into a rescue than to the next person wanting a trendy breed.