PDA

View Full Version : Are your dogs vicious or nice?

RipplingWaves55
03-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Screech is vicious to everyone except us.
Lady is kind of vicious but she is darling and really my favorite dog...
Dotty is.... part coyote. she's vicious to everyone except us. She's hyper to us and not fixed yet.
Jubilee was kind of vicious and my favorite dog and still is .. she was our true guardian. (I know I shouldn't have favorites but I will not be taking any insults from anyone... okay, it's not against the rules in my book but I'll just ignore you...) lol

Are your dogs vicious or nice?

beeniesmom
03-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Aggression toward people:
Beenie is a sweetheart and would go home with anyone. :love:

Frankie plays 'the part'.
He barks and growls at everyone but when introduced to the stranger he turns into butter. :rolleyes:

Aggression toward other dogs is another story:
Beenie makes friends but Frankie would get himself in trouble.

Your dogs are probably all a bit aggressive because of Screech.
They are following his lead. I hope they never hurt anyone.

pomtzu
03-19-2009, 08:14 AM
A vicious Pom and ShihTzu???
Only when attacking their food!!:D

Christmas_Hamster
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Blue is not vicous to people or dogs. He is b ig so when he pulls, even just a little because he wants to meet someone it looks worse then it is. He loves being pet and meeting new friends. Sometimes people go out of their way to avoid us but it's ok because they are usually the people that we don't want to be around anyways.

Taz_Zoee
03-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Both of my dogs are nice. Zoee is a little tempermental when she sees other dogs. But once she meets them she is okay.
Taggart will sit at anyone's feet and just melt into them for some loving.

Flatcoatluver
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Since your probally will just ignore this, I will say it anyway. It sounds like your dogs need to go to some classes. This is not a behavior I would be proud of, and if it was my dogs they would be restricted and socilized like crazy.

My dogs are all nice, if they showed any aggression or fear at all then I would be working and training with them on that subject instead of all the other training I do.

WELOVESPUPPIES
03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I am confused as to why you would want to advertise that your dogs are vicious.:confused: That is a reflection on you and how you raise them, I personally would not be proud to announce that, actually I would be quite embarassed and instead would be contacting someone for some help on correcting their behavior.

I would never accept that type of behavior from any of my dogs and if they showed signs of becoming that way I would be right along with Flatcoatluver and be working with and training my dogs.

I hope for your dogs sake they never get loose and hurt someone. Unfortunately because of your lack of responsibility someone could be seriously hurt or even killed and the dog would be PTS due to no fault of its own.

I don't agree with vicious dog behavior, it is completely unacceptable. Owners are to blame, a dog does what a dog is allowed to do. My best friends grandmother was mauled to death in her front yard because of an irresponsible pet owner. The owner served 2 years in jail(not long enough IMO) and all the dogs were PTS or shot by they police officers that were trying to get to her lying in her yard as they charged the officers when they tried to approach.

Rest in Peace Dorothy you are greatly missed by all of use who had the pleasure of knowing you.

catnapper
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
There's nothing vicious about Callie. I do, however, think she'd turn vicious if anybody would ever harm Cameron.

buttercup132
03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Umm ya why on earth would you be advertising that your dogs are a liability and should be put down?
You know if one of them ever got out and attacked someone they would be put down and you would be sued...

If I had a human agressive dog it would be put down in a instant no and if's or buts.
Obvoulsy your dogs have big issues and by now no trainer can help them.

Please don't own dogs...

Daisy and Delilah
03-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Both of my girls are little sweethearts. Once they get used to people, they love everyone. At first, they can be a little scared. They don't like to be startled but they wouldn't bite.

I couldn't live with vicious dogs. I would be terrified they would turn on me. There are too many terrible stories about dog attacks in the news these days. The media jumps on these stories. They seek them out to sensationalize them.

Please get them trained before something bad happens.:( Before you know it, you could be responsible for an attack. The consequences of that are really serious. The pet owner is responsible.

kokopup
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Koko is sugar and spice and everything nice. She loves everybody and
almost without exception every dog. The only time I have seen Koko show any agression was once when I was being attacked by a Pit Bull. She came to my defense and chased the Pit Bull from our yard with his tail between his legs. Other than that one time I have not even seen her
retaliate at other dogs that have shown aggression toward her. Today
was a good example. We were walking in a community near us and normally encounter other dogs and they just sniff and go on. Today as we approached a couple with a small dog it came at Koko snarling and jumping. Koko just walked on by without even responding in any way. This little fellow obviously had an inferiority complex and lacked any social skills.

buttercup132
03-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Sorry but I have to come back to this thread...

ACD's are starting to get a bad rap and have been for a few years.
With people like you not putting in the time and effort to train them they are going to end up like pitbulls/shepherds/dobes etc and be put on the dangerous dog list and could eventually be banned from certain places.

They are a breed that needs a special person to train them right and raise them properly.
They aren't your average run of the mill mutt that you can just throw outside (as I remember from lurking your dogs live outside).
These are a working breed, a breed that nips, a breed who can have dominant tendencies, they are a breed that needs to be shown what to do and what isn't acceptable.
You have failed miserably at doing that.

I hope you enjoy ruining the breed.

caseysmom
03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Thats a great way to try to educate someone:eek:

chocolatepuppy
03-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Oh my, what a thread! :eek: I have to agree with a few others, bragging that your dogs are vicious is NOT funny. I would not want a vicious dog. I train and socialize my dogs to be friendly, nothing else is acceptable.
Dogs don't have to be vicious to warn, protect or defend you, most of them do it naturally.

k9krazee
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
*slaps forehead* Nice thread...

To the OP:
Your dogs are vicious? Could it be because
A) It's genetic. They're all related and all mean. Go figure.
B) They live in the backyard with no socialization?
C) They're Intact?
D) No formal training?

I don't understand the point of this thread. Most people don't take pride in knowing they have aggressive dogs. I have a mean dog, but I try not to publically advertise it (often). My advice would to be spay or neuter your dogs and work on training and socialization..

To Alicia:
You would euthanize a human aggressive dog with no ifs ands or buts? I think that says something about your role as an owner as well. There are ways to deal with and work with aggressive dogs. The solution does not always have to be euthanasia. :/

Lori Jordan
03-19-2009, 07:02 PM
None of my dogs are "Vicious",Lacy gets a little tempermental with Molly,as Molly does her.It has calmed dowm tremendously since we had the behaviorlist in.

I can honestly say i could leave my dogs in a room with strangers,And i would be able to walk away knowing nothing would happen.Now they bark if someone pulls into the driveway or Knocks on the door..But what dog doesn't?

And if there is owners on here that have dogs that don't make a noise,It must be nice not to have a musical quior when visitors show up.

Just the other day we had friends over that have to small girls ages 3-1..The baby tripped over her feet and landed right on Maggy..She just looked at the young girl..Like are you ok?!?!..I would not want any less from any of my girls.

Agressive Dogs can be a danger,Not only to you but the public,I think some classes and socialization is in need.

All the Best.

buttercup132
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
You would euthanize a human aggressive dog with no ifs ands or buts? I think that says something about your role as an owner as well. There are ways to deal with and work with aggressive dogs. The solution does not always have to be euthanasia. If my dog went and attacked someone for no reason um ya it would be gone.
If my dog was going after every person it saw other then me, ya it would be gone. I wouldn't have a dog that could cause damage any given second and be a liabilitly.
Why would anyone want that?
Why would I want a dog that I would be afraid to own in fear that if it ever got loose it would hurt someone?

Glacier
03-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I certainly wouldn't be advertising it on the 'net if I had vicious dogs! When they bite someone, and from your own description that's only a matter of time, you just publicly admitted you know they are aggressive. Oh, the fun a lawyer would have with that!

I do have a dog who is deemed dangerous under our local animal control by-law. The reality is Mac is a sweet, gentle, timid dog who is not good with small children. He is fine with anyone over about 4 feet tall! He's never bitten; he knocked a kid over on the trail and tugged on the hood of his snowsuit, no contact with the kid's body. No intent to injure. He was playing--totally inappropriate play, but that's what it was in his mind. That's enough for a dangerous dog designation here. I fought for weeks to save Mac's life and he now lives a very restricted life compared to his life before that incident.

Keeping a dog deemed dangerous, even one like Mac who isn't really dangerous, is difficult, expensive, time-consuming and a constant worry. I need special insurance, signage on every entrance to my property(which makes me laugh, try to figure out which dog out of the 26 you are supposed to beware of; I'll guarentee if you were standing at my gate, you wouldn't pick Mac as a dangerous dog!); strict fencing requirements; Mac can never be off-leash anywhere ever again; he must be muzzled when off my property and on a leash no more than 4 feet long(try to exercise a young husky with those restrictions!). ANY complaint about Mac ever again will lead to his death...no questions asked; AC just takes him and kills him.

I don't have children, have no plans to have children and can restrict Mac so he never has access to children again. If I didn't have the resources to do that, I would have to put him down. If I thought for a second that Mac actually intended to injure that child, that he was truly showing aggression, he would be dead. I would have put him down that day without hesitation, with a shattered heart, but he would be gone.

buttercup132
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
If I thought for a second that Mac actually intended to injure that child, that he was truly showing aggression, he would be dead. I would have put him down that day without hesitation, with a shattered heart, but he would be gone. You say it and it's fine, yet when I say it I get called a bad owner :rolleyes: how does that work?

Karen
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
You say it and it's fine, yet when I say it I get called a bad owner :rolleyes: how does that work?

Sweetie, no one called you a bad owner. She did say there might be other alternatives to euthanization, that's all.

luvofallhorses
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Thats a great way to try to educate someone:eek:

no kidding!

All of my dogs are sweet with people. Buster is just fearful of new people but he doesn't act out aggressively. Rocky and Jenny loved ALL people! :)

buttercup132
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I think that says something about your role as an owner as well

She also said that Karen and since she didn't agree with what I said I can only assume she ment that I wouldn't be what she classed a good owner.

Flatcoatluver
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
RipplingWaves55, I will ask how do you excersize your dogs? You said in another thread that you can't walk them because they are vicious. Which means you can not take them to public places to excersize. Do they just stay in there kennel all day, on the chain that I see attached to the dogs in some of the pictures? I'm not trying to start anything, but the pictures I have seen, I just feel awful for the dogs. Like Alecia mentioned they are heelers, and that breed needs so much mental and physical activity.

RipplingWaves55
03-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I am confused as to why you would want to advertise that your dogs are vicious.:confused: That is a reflection on you and how you raise them, I personally would not be proud to announce that, actually I would be quite embarassed and instead would be contacting someone for some help on correcting their behavior.

I would never accept that type of behavior from any of my dogs and if they showed signs of becoming that way I would be right along with Flatcoatluver and be working with and training my dogs.

I hope for your dogs sake they never get loose and hurt someone. Unfortunately because of your lack of responsibility someone could be seriously hurt or even killed and the dog would be PTS due to no fault of its own.

I don't agree with vicious dog behavior, it is completely unacceptable. Owners are to blame, a dog does what a dog is allowed to do. My best friends grandmother was mauled to death in her front yard because of an irresponsible pet owner. The owner served 2 years in jail(not long enough IMO) and all the dogs were PTS or shot by they police officers that were trying to get to her lying in her yard as they charged the officers when they tried to approach.

Rest in Peace Dorothy you are greatly missed by all of use who had the pleasure of knowing you.

They're guard dogs. WE trained them to be that way. WE like it. If a stranger comes to our house, they will bark and warn us. I want them to do that. We trained 'em that way and that's how it is.

R.I.P Dorothy, whoever that is. :)

RipplingWaves55
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
RipplingWaves55, I will ask how do you excersize your dogs? You said in another thread that you can't walk them because they are vicious. Which means you can not take them to public places to excersize. Do they just stay in there kennel all day, on the chain that I see attached to the dogs in some of the pictures? I'm not trying to start anything, but the pictures I have seen, I just feel awful for the dogs. Like Alecia mentioned they are heelers, and that breed needs so much mental and physical activity.
They get toys, and treats. They get switched off, there's wild animals here and if they get off they will get hurt. They get exercise. We walk them when I'm off from work.

RipplingWaves55
03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
I certainly wouldn't be advertising it on the 'net if I had vicious dogs! When they bite someone, and from your own description that's only a matter of time, you just publicly admitted you know they are aggressive. Oh, the fun a lawyer would have with that!

I do have a dog who is deemed dangerous under our local animal control by-law. The reality is Mac is a sweet, gentle, timid dog who is not good with small children. He is fine with anyone over about 4 feet tall! He's never bitten; he knocked a kid over on the trail and tugged on the hood of his snowsuit, no contact with the kid's body. No intent to injure. He was playing--totally inappropriate play, but that's what it was in his mind. That's enough for a dangerous dog designation here. I fought for weeks to save Mac's life and he now lives a very restricted life compared to his life before that incident.

Keeping a dog deemed dangerous, even one like Mac who isn't really dangerous, is difficult, expensive, time-consuming and a constant worry. I need special insurance, signage on every entrance to my property(which makes me laugh, try to figure out which dog out of the 26 you are supposed to beware of; I'll guarentee if you were standing at my gate, you wouldn't pick Mac as a dangerous dog!); strict fencing requirements; Mac can never be off-leash anywhere ever again; he must be muzzled when off my property and on a leash no more than 4 feet long(try to exercise a young husky with those restrictions!). ANY complaint about Mac ever again will lead to his death...no questions asked; AC just takes him and kills him.

I don't have children, have no plans to have children and can restrict Mac so he never has access to children again. If I didn't have the resources to do that, I would have to put him down. If I thought for a second that Mac actually intended to injure that child, that he was truly showing aggression, he would be dead. I would have put him down that day without hesitation, with a shattered heart, but he would be gone.
The're just guard dogs, they aren't fully vicious. They never bit someone, they just bark. We don't le tthem bite people.. they just bark.... they just bark, does no one get this? By vicious, I didn't mean they tear people's head's off.

Daisy and Delilah
03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
What will you do if they hurt someone or somebody in your family? What will you do if they kill somebody?

I was coming back to post on this thread again to say I thought it was trollish. Now....I hear this and I'm flabbergasted!! I really thought that no one would post this unless they were trying to start something.

I'm dead serious here: Something needs to be done with your dogs right away or you may be sorry. It could be worse than you can imagine.

Twisterdog
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
They're guard dogs. WE trained them to be that way. WE like it. If a stranger comes to our house, they will bark and warn us. I want them to do that. We trained 'em that way and that's how it is.

I'm speechless. Almost ...

In an earlier comment, it was mentioned that a certain post was not a good way to educate someone. After reading the completely arrogant, ignorant post quoted above, does anyone honestly believe this person is seeking education or is in any way open to any education? I do not. And this is not the first instant of this same attitude by this OP.

RW, When your dogs attack someone, they will be euthanized. It matters not a bit if the person came onto your property with or without your permission, when you were or were not home. If you knowingly keep vicious dogs, they will be killed and you will be liable.

A dog does not generally have to be trained to bark when a stranger approaches. That is a dog's nature. Most dogs have to be trained not to do it. This behavior, I do not think, is all you are talking about at all. You are quite proud of your vicious dogs, that YOU trained, that YOU want to do that. When your dogs maul someone, and are euthanized, will YOU still be so proud of YOUR "training" then?

How terribly sad. Always the dogs that pay the price for the owner's issues.

buttercup132
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
You say you don't let your dogs bite people.
So in which way do you mean seeing as you aren't being clear with your post.
When they bark you hold them back from people or they are trained just to bark and that's it?
Barking isn't vicious, if it was we would all have viscious dogs.
Any good dog who loves their family will bark at unknown people, but they won't attack (unless they KNOW something is wrong).

I don't get how my posts before were bad anyways, I was being blunt in telling her what she is doing to the breed. And if that is being "mean" well maybe some people need to come out of their bubble and see the real world.

I'm pretty sure I have alot more hands on experience with dogs then most people on here.
I work with dogs, I work with rescues and trainers.
I have difficult breeds, and breeds that are "deemed dangerous".
I'm sorry that I know people like this are ruining the breed and need to be told before more breeds get attacked by bsl.

in fact that causes serious problems when people let there dogs roam Not to mention that because her dogs arent fixed they would be getting pregnant too.

Oh and you said you have a cayote mix.. wouldn't be going around saying that either being as it's ILLEGAL unless you have a permitt which I doubt you do.

Flatcoatluver
03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
They get toys, and treats. They get switched off, there's wild animals here and if they get off they will get hurt. They get exercise. We walk them when I'm off from work.
I'm not saying let your dogs run free, in fact that causes serious problems when people let there dogs roam. I'm just asking if they get mental and physical activity. Being that they are herding breeds they not only need a lot of physical activity, like running off leash. They also need a lot of mental activitys, like each dog having a training session at least 20 mins a day. All the exercise in the world won't make some dogs tired, but they need a lot of metal stimulation. Being in that kennel and then let out for a walk is NOT ENOUGH.

Also to add dogs don't know the difference between a family friend or a stranger. I think it's so wrong to teach a dog to be a "guard dog." If a dog need to be protective, they will naturally be protective. My flat-coat is a therapy dog and she would never hurt anyone. One day someone tried to hurt me and she stepped in between me and that person and protected me. Not because I taught her to, but because she sensed that I was in trouble and sensed that I was scared. Dogs are natural protecters and can feel fear.

Alysser
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Sassy was never what I deemed vicious, if you ticked her off or did something she really didn't like she would nip, but never to the point where I couldn't handle her and she was lunging at the leash.

For the record, volunteering at a shelter, I've seen vicious animals like fighting pits and things along that nature, but they were not vicious to a point where they could not go for walks or have no outside human contact! If that's true then I really don't know what to think..o_o.

In an earlier comment, it was mentioned that a certain post was not a good way to educate someone. After reading this completely arrogant, ignorant post above, does anyone honestly believe this person is seeking education or is in any way open to any education? I do not. And this is not the first instant of this same attitude by this OP.

RW, When your dogs attack someone, they will be euthanized. It matters not a bit if the person came onto your property with or without your permission, when you were or were not home. If you knowingly keep vicious dogs, they will be killed and you will be liable.

A dog does not generally have to be trained to bark when a stranger approaches. That is a dog's nature. Most dogs have to be trained not to do it. This behavior, I do not think, is all you are talking about at all. You are quite proud of your vicious dogs, that YOU trained, that YOU want to do that. When your dogs maul someone, and are euthanized, will YOU still be so proud of YOUR "training" then?

You hit the nail on the head.

caseysmom
03-19-2009, 09:11 PM

In an earlier comment, it was mentioned that a certain post was not a good way to educate someone. After reading this completely arrogant, ignorant post above, does anyone honestly believe this person is seeking education or is in any way open to any education? I do not. And this is not the first instant of this same attitude by this OP.

That was me and I take it back...it looks too late for education.

Lori Jordan
03-19-2009, 09:15 PM

R.I.P Dorothy, whoever that is. :)

My Dogs do just that...But don't have a mean bone in there body..Makes me sick to my stomach to see how your fraised that..You should be ashamed of yourself.Ya know in this situation i feel for your poor dogs,Not you.Because in the end the animals are going to suffer for what there so called owners have taught them to do.

Do you realise how much your dogs are suffering..Do you even care?

Suki Wingy
03-19-2009, 09:37 PM
The're just guard dogs, they aren't fully vicious. They never bit someone, they just bark. We don't le tthem bite people.. they just bark.... they just bark, does no one get this? By vicious, I didn't mean they tear people's head's off.

How is barking dangerously aggressive? Where is the violence in barking?

4 a: dangerously aggressive : savage <a vicious dog> b: marked by violence or ferocity :

k9krazee
03-19-2009, 09:40 PM
She also said that Karen and since she didn't agree with what I said I can only assume she ment that I wouldn't be what she classed a good owner.

Alicia, I meant exactly what Karen clarified. Just meant there are more options than euthanasia. "It says something about your role as an owner" whether you are going to step up to the plate and do everything you can do for that dog or are going to put it down "no ifs ands or buts". I'm not saying your a bad owner by any means, I really have no right to judge that.

RipplingWaves55
03-19-2009, 09:42 PM
My Dogs do just that...But don't have a mean bone in there body..Makes me sick to my stomach to see how your fraised that..You should be ashamed of yourself.Ya know in this situation i feel for your poor dogs,Not you.Because in the end the animals are going to suffer for what there so called owners have taught them to do.

Do you realise how much your dogs are suffering..Do you even care?
they're not suffering, they get pizza, noodles, chicken, and other treats, and they barely ever just get dog food. They get to run around, wrestle and play and they get pets and more treats. Whatever.

caseysmom
03-19-2009, 09:46 PM
they're not suffering, they get pizza, noodles, chicken, and other treats, and they barely ever just get dog food. They get to run around, wrestle and play and they get pets and more treats. Whatever.

So they get a bunch of junk that is bad for them? Wow this has to be a joke.

kitten645
03-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Vicious \Vi"cious\, a. [OF. vicious, F. vicieux, fr. L. vitiosus, fr. vitium vice. See Vice a fault.]

1. Characterized by vice or defects; defective; faulty; imperfect.

Though I perchance am vicious in my guess. --Shak.

The title of these lords was vicious in its origin. --Burke.

A charge against Bentley of vicious reasoning. --De Quincey.

2. Addicted to vice; corrupt in principles or conduct; depraved; wicked; as, vicious children; vicious examples; vicious conduct.

Who . . . heard this heavy curse, Servant of servants, on his vicious race. --Milton.

3. Wanting purity; foul; bad; noxious; as, vicious air, water, etc. --Dryden.

4. Not correct or pure; corrupt; as, vicious language; vicious idioms.

5. Not well tamed or broken; given to bad tricks; unruly; refractory; as, a vicious horse.

6. Bitter; spiteful; malignant. [Colloq.]

Syn: Corrupt; faulty; wicked; depraved. -- Vi"cious*ly, adv. -- Vi"cious*ness, n.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

:rolleyes:

Lori Jordan
03-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Are you kidding me:eek::eek::mad:?!?!

Twisterdog
03-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Wow this has to be a joke.

I don't think it is, sadly.

I remember other posts by this OP concerning unaltered dogs, accidental litters of puppies, feral cats, ignored advice about an overly dominant male dog, etc.

I think, sadly for these dogs, that this isn't a joke at all. :(

pomtzu
03-20-2009, 06:44 AM
I will not be taking any insults from anyone... okay, it's not against the rules in my book but I'll just ignore you...) lol

Don't know if you're reading this, since I read your good-bye in General. But if you are reading, maybe you can answer this simple question.
Obviously you knew what you were in for when you started this thread, so why did you even bother to start it?

happylabs
03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
I am a little late on this post but why would someone need "guard" dogs? I guess I am spoiled because I live in an area where I do not have to live in fear. What are the dogs guarding?

This is why I love my Labrador. She will bark and bark and bark but once you get in the door she will wag her tail and bring you a toy. I doubt she would even bite a stranger/burgler. (I hope no burglars are reading this)

Vela
03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I read you were leaving, and for some reason some people feel sorry about it? That I don't really understand, but I hope for your dog's sake you do more for them than "give them noodles and pizza". Looking at your posts, you seem to not really care about how you portray your dogs and yourself. Good luck to the dogs...

Your comment about Dorothy was extremely inappropriate by the way. Someone lost their grandmother to vicious dogs...that's not a freaking joke and something to make fun of. That was a horrid thing to say when someone is trying to explain why having vicious dogs and advertising them as vicious dogs is not a good idea. There are others on the forum dealing with lifelong injuries and physical problems from being attacked so saying "my dogs are vicious" and being proud of it doesn't really go over well here.

aTailOf2Kitties
03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
RW55 is hard to understand sometimes. I don't think she (he?) really intended the word 'vicious' to be taken literally in this case.

buttercup132
03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Alicia, I meant exactly what Karen clarified. Just meant there are more options than euthanasia. "It says something about your role as an owner" whether you are going to step up to the plate and do everything you can do for that dog or are going to put it down "no ifs ands or buts". I'm not saying your a bad owner by any means, I really have no right to judge that.
So now I'm asking you instead of assuming you would keep a vicious dog.
Would you keep a dog that attacked someone unprovoked and was HA?
Would you be ok with yourself if that dog got out and attacked someone?

K9soul
03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
A think a lot of problem here is people seem to have different and varying ideas of what "vicious" means in their mind. The OP seemed to think it was as simple as barking at strangers whereas other people seem to think of it as a raging dog that will attack to kill without provocation.

k9krazee
03-20-2009, 09:34 AM
So now I'm asking you instead of assuming you would keep a vicious dog.
Would you keep a dog that attacked someone unprovoked and was HA?
Would you be ok with yourself if that dog got out and attacked someone?

Ugh. I don't want to play this game. Forget I ever said anything. You are 110% correct in your line of thinking. I was wrong for ever questioning your logic at all. There are no other options than euthanasia, silly me for ever thinking that there might possibly be.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I almost cannot believe what I am reading here. You don't sound like a good dog owner, in my opinion. Yoiu give your dogs pizza, noodles, and chicken?:mad::(:rolleyes: You shouldn't be feeding your dogs this. They should be fed a high-quality kibble.

snowbelle15
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I know I'm a little late at posting about this, but RipplingWaves, if your still here please read this.

It's not good at all to feed your dogs pizza, noodles, and chicken. It can shorten their life span and hurt their health. This stuff to a dog is like smoking to us. It hurts them. Also, why would you want to train your dogs to be 'viscous.' If you play with them and care for them, they will protect you. You don't have to train them to be a guard dog. If your dogs do attack someone, they could get put down and we all know that you don't want that. So please, get your dogs a trainer and work with them for good behavior. And no table food for them either!

king2005
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I almost cannot believe what I am reading here. You don't sound like a good dog owner, in my opinion. Yoiu give your dogs pizza, noodles, and chicken?:mad::(:rolleyes: You shouldn't be feeding your dogs this. They should be fed a high-quality kibble.

I agree & disagree at the same time.

Yes Pizza & noodles is not dog food.
Is Pasta harmful in treat form? <-I really don't know this answer

Chicken? Why is chicken bad for dogs?
Is it just chicken or all fowl your talking about? why?:confused:

buttercup132
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM

She's probly feeding already cooked chicken, which isn't really good for them.
Pasta, why even bother? Why can't you just stick to dog food and healthy treats/bones?
Any human food like that isn't good for dogs..

pomtzu
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Pizza and noodles as a steady diet doesn't sound too healthy, and it all depends how the chicken is cooked I would imagine. Fried chicken - no, but nothing wrong with roasted, baked, or boiled chicken.
When we have pizza, my guys get a treat of pizza crust which they love - but only a few small pieces each. When I have plain leftover noodles or pasta, I will chop some up in with their regular food, but again, not a steady diet of it. They also sometimes get leftover veggies (not all kinds), and leftover meats mixed with their regular food, since it's rather senseless to throw it out.
RW55 also said in a previous thread that she didn't walk her dogs in the neighborhood because they are vicious. Looks like they spend their lives in a pen. How sad!:(
My 2 little dogs are the best watch dogs I could want. No one gets around the house without them letting me know about it - they are both just natural little barkers - and far from vicious!

Taz_Zoee
03-20-2009, 03:17 PM

I'm going to guess and say that what she means is the OP is probably giving the dogs table scraps. Which would be seasoned with all kinds of things for human taste. Regular chicken, or raw isn't bad. At least I think.
And I have no idea about noodles. All I know is my dogs do not get any human food (on purpose, they do scavenge off the floor if we aren't quick enough to pick it up). The only human food they ever get is carrots and cheese if they need meds. I got into a huge fight with a friend of Bruce's because he was giving my dogs (and one of my guests dogs) meat as he was cooking it. :mad:
Others already said the same thing I did (it took me too long to post this). But I also have a "guard" dog, not by choice. Zoee barks at anything that moves in our court. LOL But she's not "vicious". You might think she is at first with how she acts though. :o

Well, all I can hope from this entire thread is that something gets through to the OP. This is the best place to learn things like this. I have learned so much on this forum....that's why I love it here. :)

AdoreMyDogs
03-20-2009, 03:30 PM
What a weird thread.

caseysmom
03-20-2009, 03:31 PM
When my dogs are sick they get plain boiled checken and rice absolutely no oil, butter or seasonings.

kokopup
03-20-2009, 05:35 PM
I think this thread should die a natural death. Needless to say there are irresponsible pet owners of all types. Unfortunately I have seen more that my share. If nothing else the thread demonstrated that without proper training and care our pets are at risk and so are many innocent people that they come in contact with. My vote is for nice dogs.:D

aTailOf2Kitties
03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
RW55 clarified his/her statement and yet nobody seemed to notice:

The're just guard dogs, they aren't fully vicious. They never bit someone, they just bark. We don't let them bite people.. they just bark.... they just bark, does no one get this? By vicious, I didn't mean they tear people's head's off.

please keep in mind that some people have a legitimate need for guard dogs. If you live in a high crime or extremely rural area, having 4-legged alarms may save your life or property.

I would never condemn anyone as being a bad owner as long as the dogs are happy and healthy. I doubt seriously RW fed their dogs noodles, etc for every meal. I told everyone my cat Montego loved pizza, because he did. Did that mean he got a full slice of Meat Lovers every day? No. It means that on the extremely rare occasion that I got pizza, he got a bite of crust.

kokopup
03-20-2009, 06:07 PM
We all have guard dogs then. Nuf said(.):mad:

Alysser
03-20-2009, 06:15 PM

The're just guard dogs, they aren't fully vicious. They never bit someone, they just bark. We don't let them bite people.. they just bark.... they just bark, does no one get this? By vicious, I didn't mean they tear people's head's off.

please keep in mind that some people have a legitimate need for guard dogs. If you live in a high crime or extremely rural area, having 4-legged alarms may save your life or property.

I would never condemn anyone as being a bad owner as long as the dogs are happy and healthy. I doubt seriously RW fed their dogs noodles, etc for every meal. I told everyone my cat Montego loved pizza, because he did. Did that mean he got a full slice of Meat Lovers every day? No. It means that on the extremely rare occasion that I got pizza, he got a bite of crust.

I'm just pointing out in another thread she said her dogs can't be walked around the neighborhood because they are too vicious, and then she says they get walks. Honestly, I don't know which one is the truth but I'm leaning more toward they are "too" vicious to get walked because the fact that she changed the story 3 times is fishy enough for me.

Hellow
03-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I /still/ dont see the need for guard dogs. Cameras and a gun work well enough.

Karen
03-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I /still/ dont see the need for guard dogs. Cameras and a gun work well enough.

Totally different than guard dogs. The camera does not alert you if you are not looking at the screen. A gun doesn't wake you if someone breaks in. A camera needs batteries. And neither gun nor camera will cuddle with you.

A camera and guns only work as a deterrent if people know you have both. A dog will alert the person to his or her presence immediately. A gun doesn't know the difference between friend and foe. I could go on and on ...

finn's mom
03-20-2009, 08:32 PM
vicious - dangerously aggressive : savage <a vicious dog> b: marked by violence or ferocity : fierce <a vicious fight>

No, my dogs aren't vicious.

Anyone who brags or advertises about a truly vicious animal, and isn't searching for ways to alter said animals' behavior, is a huge part of the problem with society and it's perspective and treatment of animals.

king2005
03-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Totally different than guard dogs. The camera does not alert you if you are not looking at the screen. A gun doesn't wake you if someone breaks in. A camera needs batteries. And neither gun nor camera will cuddle with you.

A camera and guns only work as a deterrent if people know you have both. A dog will alert the person to his or her presence immediately. A gun doesn't know the difference between friend and foe. I could go on and on ...

Actually cameras do alert you. I work for Lorex Technology & when our systems sense motion they send an email to your phone with an image... But thats still not the point, if the dogs are not trained properly then they are a danger to everyone.

When I worked with guard dogs we were able to walk them in public with NO issues. Cezar the biggest rottie I was working with was by far the most aggressive, but when on a leash he was a sweetheart! A little old lady came up to him once grabbed his face & gave him kisses. He was all wiggles & just LOVING the attention! Now put him in the car & give the command... no one can get near the car without fearing for their lives.. But tell him to stop & down, he will do it.

Big difference between dogs under control & ones that are wild acting... the wild ones are not cool.. not at all :mad:

ChrisH
03-21-2009, 06:30 AM
I very rarely post in a thread such as this - one that has gone on to become argumentative and condemnatory - but I felt the need to point out a couple of things that seem to have not been read clearly.

I agree both with the statement that some people do have a need for guard dogs and, most importantly, that no-one seems to have noticed RW55's clarification of 'vicious'.

Similarly, no-one seems to have noticed the 'just' in this post?

In addition may I say that not everyone, including myself, may have the good communication skills that are shown by the majority of members of Pet Talk. Sometimes, if you will, please ask for clarification, and try and understand the reply, before going on to attack/condemn?

Thanks. :)

Hellow
03-21-2009, 09:32 AM
And neither gun nor camera will cuddle with you.

Well....

Husky_mom
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
as said before.. some persons DO need guard dogs as such (trained)...

every dog WILL guard his/her home by nature... but it will differ from a dog trained specifically for that matter....

IMO tehre is some point that a naturally guarding dog will break (start wagging at intruder or run away) but a trained guard dog will stay put until told otherwise... hence why police dogs are trained to GUARD and protect...

it may also be the case that a naturally guarding dog, bares teeth, luges and bites but wonīt let go... and a traind one will do that on command...

as said also the definition of vicious might be missinterpreted by different perceptions.... a non-stop barking dog lunging at the fence might look vicious to the people on the other side but to the owner it might be just his dog guarding his territory...

in my case... with huskies.. when at play to many many countless people they are vicisous dogs... those who know how they play itīs nothing like it, just playful dogs....

I donīt condemn people having guard dogs, as long as they are well cared for and loved... thatīs another reason for the different breeds out there.

critters
03-24-2009, 06:13 AM

R.I.P Dorothy, whoever that is. :) This is who Dorothy was. http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/032009/03062009/450628
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2005/032005/03162005/1702572