PDA

View Full Version : Tasha has a behaviour problem

Freedom
03-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Tasha is my 4 year old foster bichon, rescued from a puppy mill. She lived in another foster home for 2 weeks. Didn't work out, she and the 10 y/o boy couldn't get along.

Tasha came around to my Dad in 3 HOURS. She is still timid with me, it has been 9 days. Three nights or so back, she started sleeping on Dad's bed.

As of last night, Dad's bed is HERS, she is either scared to death or protecting Dad, not sure which. I had to go in there about 2 hours after they went to bed. I was talking to her, to let her know I was coming in. Didn't matter. She rushed to the foot of the bed snarling and growling at me! :eek: I immediately turned my back to her, "non aggressive posture." She kept at it. Dad had to hug her and hold her. I slowly backed to the bed and sat. We stayed like that until she calmed down. She went to behind Dad, so she had him between us.

Happened again at 6 this morning. Marlin wakes me up to let him out, then he USUALLY goes up on Dad's bed. She charged to the foot of the bed snarling, Marlin bolted so fast! I went in, she kept it up. Now applying NILIF, Dad should have removed her from the bed, but that is not easy for him. So we worked to calm her down, and eventually I removed her from the bed, and teh bedroom, closed the door.

I took her to MY bed, lol, she hasn't been up there before. Sugar and Lacey just sighed. :rolleyes: Within moments, she was snuggled next to me! So I think she is very fearful still.

After 15 minutes or so, Sugar had to make her morning trip, so I took all 3 of them outdoors. (I carried Tasha, because she is afraid of doorways and will NOT go out on her own.) Once they came back in, I returned to bed, Tasha stayed in the living room.

Next time I woke up and got up to stay up, I got Tasha (not easy as she won't come to me), opened Dad's door and put her back on his bed. An hour later when he got up, he left her there. Eventually, she whined to get down, so I was the one to go in and get her down.

Anyone with any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, I would really appreciate it. IN her first home, it took her a week to get from this to snapping and biting the boy, I do NOT want her to get to that point again. (She got bounced out of the home and the rescue group, landed in a boarding kennel until I could get approved as a foster for the new rescue group which took her on. I don't need to tell you what TWO strikes may mean for her)

cassiesmom
03-18-2009, 08:42 AM
*prayers for Natasha to get along with everyone

pomtzu
03-18-2009, 09:44 AM
It sounds like a territorial issue. After her terrible existence as a breeder dog and no one she could call her own, it seems that she has claimed Dad as her protector. Is there some kind of behavior modification class that she might benefit from? She most likely is just very insecure and needs help in overcoming this. I hope you can get her to come around and able to trust you.

Vela
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
To be honest I think she would be better off to start in a crate and not on anyone's bed, along with the NILIF. If she is that territorial it could end up bad for her if she continues that type of behavior. She can't ever be allowed to behave that way, and if she claims beds or other territories she could bite anyone at any time for getting in her "place". The crate would giver her her own safe place to be where she can be protected. Also by your father petting her and loving on her when she's being aggressive, that is reinforcing the behavior. Also, you taking her and letting her snuggle up to you after that behavior is another reward. I know you feel sorry for her because of her past, but your actions now could mean a future or not for the little girl. It's not mean to give them a crate, I think it would be the best thing and would help the situtation.

Edited to add: I hope you guys get it figured out and she responds well!

Freedom
03-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, and for the ideas, Vela. I did think Dad's response was incorrect, did not recognize my own as such. :rolleyes:

I will consider using a crate, have one her size. I've also thought maybe using the water squirt bottle will help. Need to think on it some and decide what to do for tonight.

Daisy and Delilah
03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm no behavioral expert for sure but.....that's exactly how Delilah acts when she has one of her toys and sees Daisy coming towards her. I have to take the toy and hide it from her. She acts like she wants to attack Daisy in a hateful way. I don't know if she's trying to protect/defend the toy or defend the area. Or, is she just wanting to be mean to Daisy at that particular time? That's the only time she gets aggressive with her sister.:confused: I always think D and D have issues with who has the higher rank between the two of them. Daisy was here first and Delilah is pretty bossy anyway. Maybe Natasha is trying to be the top dog of the Bichon pack?? I'm very illiterate with these things.:(

Best of luck with the situation, Sandie.

K9soul
03-18-2009, 02:42 PM
You might cross-post this in the behavioral section as I know there are some people with a lot of behavioral interests who visit there that may otherwise miss it here.

My thought it is less to do with dominance and more to do with insecurity. She's been shuffled around and and had to deal with who knows what, and she is generally insecure. She found a spot where she felt comfortable and secure, and she immediately felt the need to defend this and keep it from being taken away. My thought would be along the lines of what Vela posted, in giving her own spot and setting her up for success in that she is not in a situation she feels she needs to defend her spot. When she is in her crate I'd leave her undisturbed, letting her come out when she wishes. Let it become her safe spot and haven, a place of her own.

I would avoid punishments if possible, i.e. the squirting, as it could serve to increase her distrust and insecurity. I think I'd keep a little treat pouch on me, and focus on rewarding good behaviors. Starting out simple, like saying her name, and when she looks at you toss her a morsel. Then maybe moving up to calling her, and if she comes giving her a treat. I'd take her out for little walks with just you and her, as I have found walking to really be a bonding experience for many dogs. I know my Tasha, who is very distrustful of strangers, tends to begin accepting and trusting people who have walked with us.

I'd definitely not let her have access to any beds of furniture for now in which she might again feel the need to claim and guard it. I would work on gently building a trusting relationship while doing the NILIF with any toys, food, and so on. These are some of my thoughts on the situation. I know there are others who might have some good ideas to try too.

Freedom
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks, I understand.

This rescue has a forum (only 24 foster homes, so it is a small group) so I posted on there as well.

Crate - while some mill dogs welcome a crate as a save haven, being it is what they know, most are happy in wide open spaces and never want a small space again. Tasha is like that, freaks out in a crate, so that won't work.

Water - not only is it "punishment," as you pointed out, but many millers use high pressure hoses to clean out cages -- with the dogs still in them! So water is generally a frightening thing for mill dogs.

We are going to keep her OFF the bed, and Dad will sleep with his door closed for tonight and until she can adapt. Meantime, I have lots of exercises to practice with her, to help her learn manners, which she never learnt from litter mates, mom, or a pack, due to her situation. Thing is, they warned me, she is like a puppy but has a mouth full of adult teeth! So the exercises are easy going things, lots of praise and treat rewards. We work UP to things like "SIT." :p (I never thought about how much a pup already knows when you start teaching sit, until I was reading on line!)

Interesting stuff!

K9soul
03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
I didn't really think about the crate issue with her being a mill pup. I'm sure there are some special issues there with those dogs as you have pointed out. Maybe just make some area hers with a blanket that is always her spot and it's her choice to leave or stay there, etc. Sounds like you are getting some good ideas from the other board too. I hope she starts realizing she's in a good place and has no need to defend herself or her spot. She was probably never really allowed to develop any social skills with other dogs or people. I, too, am very fascinated by dog behavior and psychology :)

Shelteez2
03-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Instead of a crate maybe you could use an x-pen. It is a lot more open feeling, yet may still create the feeling of a place that is hers. One other thing is to maybe have her drag a leash so that you can easily get control of her without having to get too close. Of course I believe in implementing NILIF from day one as well. :) Good luck!

Freedom
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Instead of a crate maybe you could use an x-pen. It is a lot more open feeling, yet may still create the feeling of a place that is hers. One other thing is to maybe have her drag a leash so that you can easily get control of her without having to get too close. Of course I believe in implementing NILIF from day one as well. :) Good luck!

Thanks, I have an x pen sitting the cellar, duh!!!

I did have the leash on her for several days, only way we could catch her. Now, she will come to Dad, and allow him to pick her up. And then I can put on the harness for walks.

Funny how you know stuff, but can't pull it all together when you are in the midst of a situation!

Giselle
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
I was going to suggest this, as well. My mindframe runs along the same lines as Vela, K9soul, and Shelteez.

Show her boundaries, set rules and a schedule, follow through on your rules, and always set her up for success. I'm of the school that: if the dog "misbehaves", it's generally a failure on the part of the human :) It's a bit self-deprecating, but it helps put things into perspective. I'm a lot more clear-headed when I try to analyze what I did wrong versus what the dog did wrong.

Freedom
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm a lot more clear-headed when I try to analyze what I did wrong versus what the dog did wrong.

I come to PT when I know I wasn't on target, to learn what to do better. :D

Giselle
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
The greatest sign of courage is the ability to say "I don't know" or "I made a mistake" :) Believe me, I've been there done that too many times to tell! Mistakes are GOOD!

Vela
03-19-2009, 07:49 AM
You are right a small crate would probably make her feel trapped again, since she was from the mill. Hopefully the exercise pen will be just as effective without being "trapping". You definintely are on the right track, I hope all works out well.

cassiesmom
03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
I hope she starts realizing she's in a good place and has no need to defend herself or her spot.

I hope all works out well.

"Ditto" for me on both of these. Fingers and paws crossed and prayers said.

cassiesmom
03-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Freedom, how are things going?