PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted: Another cat coming to us! Small Update

CultureJunky
03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
As you all know on PT we adopted Xavi at the end of January and he's settled in wonderfully and is fine with Sunny (apart from the odd spit when he really annoys her that little bit too much)

Well on Wednesday I'm taking in another cat. This has all happened quite quickly over the last few days via my Uncle.
He has a lady who works for him and she is looking to rehome her cat due to her mother's asthma and needs to rehome as quickly as possible, due to the mother going back and forth to hospital with bad attacks. The doctors have said that the cat is contributing to the asthma attacks.
I provided rescue numbers for this lady but unfortunately there are long waiting lists and she wants to rehome her as quickly as possible, so I said I would take her. I don't really want another cat so soon, but I feel sorry for this cat and felt that I should take her in case she ends up homeless or a stray. Though the woman has had her since she was a kitten, well as you all know on PT these things do happen.

Her name is Misty, she's 9 years old, medium hair tabby. She's in good health apart from a flea allergy which is kept under control with regular frontline treatment.

The main thing I'm worried about is Sunny's reaction at another female coming into the household. The new cat Misty has also always been a cat on her own, a one cat household. I'll put her in the spare room at first with food, litter tray, beds etc for her to get accustomed to being in a new place, I know how to do all that naturally.
My worry is whether Sunny will tolerate another female or see her has a threat? Is there a difference between introducing a male and a female to the existing female of the house? The reason we had Xavi was because he was male and as she'd already lived with Jack, she had been in contact with a male cat all her life. I don't know how Sunny will react to Misty?
I'm worried that Misty may attack Sunny or vice versa, and I really don't want any stress between them, I certainly wouldn't want Sunny to be stressed in any way as it's her house.

I'm excited at taking Misty, but also very very worried about Sunny's reaction to her and Misty's reaction to other cats in the household?

I know all about different social groups etc, and realise they may never co-exist in a close knit way, but I want peace in the house from both of them and want neither to be stressed in any way.

I know there are Pet Talkers who have more than one female in their house.

Kate

PLEASE READ LAST UPDATE:

CultureJunky
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
These are some pictures of her that my uncle sent to me by email. He is bringing her to me Wednesday evening.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/Misty_001.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/Misty_002.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/Misty_005.jpg

Randi
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I wish I could help with advice, but all I know is that cats temperaments are as different as humans. It may work and it may not. I certainly hope they will get along - and even be friends. :)

Misty looks like such a sweet girl. If it doesn't work out, I would imagine it's easy to find another loving home for her.

Best of luck with the introduction!

moosmom
03-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Kate,

Bringing in another female is not as bad as it sounds. Put the newbie in a separate room, rub her down with a towel and let the oldie sniff her scent. Do the same with the oldie. Rub her down with a towel and let the newbie sniff her scent. If you can, see if you can borrow 2 baby gates (I got mine at the Salvation Army real cheap) and stack them in the doorway one on top of the other. It'll give both cats a chance to get to know each other but be protected. You are going to get hissing and spitting, which is normal. As long as there is no bloodshed. Keep the newbie isolated to insure neither contracts a URI (kitty cold), for at least a couple of weeks. Gradually allow the newbie out to "splore". Keep a squirt bottle handy just in case. It takes time and patience but I can guarantee you it will work out.

Good luck.

moosmom
03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
You are going to have yourself one beautiful Maine Coon there, girl.

lvpets2002
03-16-2009, 04:24 PM
:love: WoW your New Baby is so Adorable.. I would say she is MainCoon for sure.. Well keep the new baby in a seperate room for a day or so & then just gently start intro her with the others.. Just take your time & be patient with all.. They will all hiss & ect.. But I have more than one female && they all get along great.. Now they all have their days & moments - but in all everyone gets along & is happy.. Good Luck & I just know all will be fine..

jenluckenbach
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! Woo Hoo!!

And just go slow with intros, things will go fine if you don't rush them.

Sonia59
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I have no advice for you. All cats are different, we never know. The cat lady is gorgeous. Good luck, we are crossing fingers and paws that everything goes fine :)

Taz_Zoee
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Like everyone said - all cats are different no matter what sex they are. Taz still hasn't accepted Paizly and I've had her for over 8 months now. He can't even get near her without hissing and "barking" at her. She is just a stinker and keeps going back for more. So apparently she's not threatened by him.
Taz does have his good days where he won't make a sound. And other days he's just horrible about it. In the 8 months we've had Paizly I've actually seen Taz play with her (for about 30 seconds) a total of 4 or 5 times. But neither of them are stressed about the others presence so its okay. I don't like it when he "yells" at her, but oh well. I just keep thinking maybe one of these days she'll learn and leave him alone.

Misty is a very pretty kitty. You are going to have a house full of adorable-ness. :D

orangemm
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
How wonderful of you to take her in; she is gorgeous! I'd do what Donna said and take it slowly; the slower, the better.

Yes, girls can be "fittified", but with patience they will get along. Let us know how it goes...........

catmandu
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Cats , of course are so unpredictable.
Some Cats will take to some Ctas and not others.
I must say that I am an most fortunate Cat Manand aside from a few hisses the old I was here first reaction, I have had no real problems with the Found Cats.
We are praying that Big Beautiful Misty is accepted as well.
:love::love::love::love:

Medusa
03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
What Donna said. Both times.

Misty is beautiful. She looks so much like my Maine Coon, Specs, who I thought was a girl until I took her in to get spayed. LOL

Congrats on your new family member and just give everything time. :)

moosmom
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Hey CJ,

I'm positive that will work out.

cassiesmom
03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
She's beautiful! I hope it works out wonderfully!

Freedom
03-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Aw, she is BEAUTIFUL!!! Looks like my Vita did when she was younger, although Misty looks larger.

Just take it slowly, things have a way of working out.

Do you clip nails? I like to keep nails trimmed when I have introductions, so that any "damage" in minimal, he hee. Never had a problem

Will she come with her brushes? She looks like she is used to brushing. That would be lovely, to sit each evening and give her a wee brush up!

Bless you for taking her on!

krazyaboutkatz
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
She's gorgeous.:) I have two girls and their personalities are very different so they get along well. They will sometimes play fight but it's nothing for me to worry about. I'm sure that if you take things slowly that in time everyone will get along or at least learn to tolerate each other. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated.:)

GILL
03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
What a beautiful girl. Got to love the Main Coons.
I agree with Donna. There may be some hissing, we still have some, but along as there's no blood your OK.
After 2 years Bailey and Chessie still DO NOT like each other. They will hiss, spit and swat. If they had nails we would have blood all over, but they happen to be 2 of the 3 de-claws we have.
It's funny to watch since both are mom's boys, she will have one on the arm of her chair and the other on the opposite arm, every thing is fine until one spots the other, then the hissing begins. She just has to grab one and hold him with his back to the other, then things quiet down again.
So love her and have fun.

CultureJunky
03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Misty has arrived. She came with her litter tray, toys, some food and scratcher. We let her out in the living room first and she had a look around then went behind the Tv for about an hour. I then managed to move the TV, pick her up and we've settled her in the spare room. She has all she needs there, water, food, litter tray and a nice bed in the corner with blankets and quilts, hers and Sunny's, a mix for some different smells. Sunny and Xavi have smelt some of her toys.
At the moment she has squished herself under the Computer desk, and is hiding away. I think in the night she may come out to have something to eat, we'll see in the morning.
She's a lovely cat, hasn't spat or hissed at us at all, and let us smoothe her when she walked past. She's just very intimidated and frightened right now.
I'll keep an update going to let you know how she's doing. :)

orangemm
03-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Aww, she's probably very confused right now. But, a night in a comfy bed and some nice scritches will bring her around. She is so lucky to have you!

catmandu
03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
It will take time. Tubster Panther had a few rough nights , and still hides in the basement sometimes but hes doing a lot better and is more social now!!!
:love::love:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies2315.jpg
We know that Misty being a Maine coon will come out of hiding and eventually become part of Your Fur Family.
:love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I hope that she'll start calming down soon and that everything will go well when you start the introductions. Good luck.:)

CultureJunky
03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Another small update:

Misty has started to come out a bit and look around. She lets me smoothe her, and rubs her face on things, so I know that she likes me doing this, and that she's also marking her scent on things that are new to her. She has seen Sunny they just hissed at eachother then Misty walked away (Sunny was abover her on the bed) and Xavi and has hissed and growled but not become violent or anything, I think she's really scared of them, they're both interested in her. Xavi is just interested and curious but her growls have put him off going close to her, he's just stared from afar for now.
I'm happy for her to take her time to adjust, all I'm worried about is that she hasn't eaten anything yet.
She arrived Wednesday evening, so I assume she had had breakfast that day, but hasn't eaten anything since. She also hasn't had any water that I've put down. I've put food down, food that came with her, but she hasn't touched it. She has used the litter tray once.
How long is it normal for her to not eat? I'm just very worried in case it makes her ill? I'm most concerned about this and it's worrying me a lot?
Any answers or advice?

Kate

Freedom
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Keep her in a room alone, and give it 2 to 3 days before you worry about the eating and drinking. She has to feel she is safe, as eating posture leaves a cat vulnerable to attack from predators. And just now, she feels even the very WALLS may be stalking her, poor dear. It does take time.

She has to get used to sights, sounds and scents. Her sensors are likely on overload at the moment. Being at peace and alone will help her feel safe enough to eat and drink. It also makes it easier for you to monitor the litter box.

She will come around, you DO know what you are doing, Kate!

rg_girlca
03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Misty is gorgeous. Bless you for taking her in. When I took in rescues, I had some that ate & drank right away, some took a day or two and some took as long as 2 days before they used the litter box and up to almost 4 days before they ate. So here's hoping that Misty will start to eat & drink today or tomorrow.

Prayers on the way that all will turn out well in the end with everyone.

jenluckenbach
03-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Glad to hear that Misty is HOME. It may be a few days before she feels comfortable enough to eat. But you could still try different choices in case she is a finicky type. A rescue-veteran friend of mine and I seem to agree that most all cats will eat by day 5 if not sooner.

CultureJunky
03-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Misty has now eaten some treats and drank a small amount of water, to which I am relieved to say the least, I was getting very stressed about her not drinking. At least a little is better than nothing, I'm hoping that she will have eaten something by Monday, I've put Tuna, and some Chicken breast down for her aswell as dry food and water, plus a bowl of milk. There is a lot of choice there, so hopefully something will suit her tastes.
I know cats are not supposed to have cows milk, but I was just desperate for her to drink something.
Kevin has been brushing her for ages and she loves it, and she's also flirted and shown her belly with him for a while. She seems to really like Kevin. We have spent time with her in the spare room, just us and her, for a couple of hours. Hopefully this will start to make her realise this is a nice place to be :love:

phesina
03-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Welcome home, Misty! You can eat and drink all you want, when you are ready to.

God love you and bless you for all you are doing for her, Kate.

CultureJunky
03-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately the situation with sweet Misty hasn't worked out as we had hoped. She arrived on Wednesday and has not settled well at all, it's quite clear that she needs to be a one cat household with no other animals and attention lavished on her only.

She has eaten only a few treats and had a few sips of water since Wednesday, she has also kept us up nearly all night three nights in a row which has been horrendous and we are both feeling quite ill through lack of sleep. She's been pulling up the carpet, banging the doors and generally being so stressed it's a wonder she hasn't had a heart attack poor thing.

So I have contacted her owner and said for her sake she needs to go back home to her as the way things are going she's going to end up hospitalised due to lack of food or a severe stress related problem.

I have found information online regarding allergies and came across a product called Petalcleanse which has proved very successful and was proven to alleviate the symptoms of 90% of sufferers. I have printed this out to give to her owner.
I have also found a lovely sanctuary that rehomes cats in the same place as where Misty's owner lives , she did in fact email these but it came back. I rang yesterday and spoke at length with the receptionist and they have an 8 week waiting list but then as soon as a space comes up, they take the next cat in. If Misty's owner puts her on the waiting list tomorrow (Monday) then it shouldn't be too long (around 2 and half months or so) until she can get a place here. There is alink here to the rescue place, it's a lovely centre that rescues and rehomes all sorts of animals and have recently had a new cattery built.
http://www.allcreaturesgreatandsmall.org.uk/

I am devastated that it hasn't worked out for Misty, but she is so sensitive to Sunny and Xavi's presence that it's making the poor cat ill. It is also making us feel really ill due to lack of sleep, and as we both work, we do need to have a settled nightime routine, this seems to be Misty's main time for being petrified of being alone, but she will not settle and meows constantly because She can smell our other cats.
She is a lovely cat, with a sweet natured personality, but needs to be the only cat for whoever eventually adopts her.

I am really hoping her owner will keep her, and try to find a way around her situation with her stepmother's asthma and allergies.
I have asked her owner to let me know if Misty does go to the sanctuary or if she stays, as I am interested naturally in her welfare and where she goes (as I am with all animals)

I just feel like a total failure at this moment in time, but I did all I could to, everything in the book of cat care, but it hasn't worked. I feel physically sick also through lack of sleep and know that I can't go weeks without sleep when I'm trying to hold down my first ever job.

I hope I haven't come across as being selfish or dismissive, but I really did try so hard to settle Misty into our household, but it just hasn't worked.

I feel very sad and gutted right now :(

Kate

krazyaboutkatz
03-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Kate, I'm so sorry to hear this:( but you're doing what's best for Misty so please don't beat yourself up about it. Hopefully her former owner will be able to find the right kind of solution for her stepmother's asthma and allergies. At least she also has the cat sanctuary as another option. You are doing what's best for your home, your health, and for Misty so please don't forget that. I hope that everything will go well. Take care. (((HUGS)))

Pinot's Mom
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Kate, you can never be wrong for trying. You did your best, and Misty had other plans, you can't help that. Try not to blame yourself; you don't deserve it.

katladyd
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Sometimes our homes, though loving, are not where a cat is supposed to be. It's okay. This frees Misty to find her furever home, and that can only be good.

Freedom
03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Kate, you tried hard to make her comfortable at your home. Now that is not working, you have even found ways to help Misty be happy for the future, in her original home, or if not, you found a sanctuary that could accept her.

In the long run, you HAVE helped Misty, just not in the way that you planned. HUGS to you, my friend. Best wishes to Kevin for seeing this through with you. Sending calming pets to Sunny and Xavi. And give Misty all our love from PT.

CultureJunky
03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Thank you everyone for you kind words, it means a lot to me. I'm gutted it didn't work out like I hoped, but I really hope that Misty will either be able to stay with her owner, or at least be homed where she is happy.