PDA

View Full Version : Just to get my mind off of things. Anyone ever see anything like this?

Coda'sMommy
03-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Heidi seems to have an extra full set of "claws" for lack of any other word to describe them. They are growing out of the ends of her toe pads and curl up toward her normal claws. They look like they are skin like what is on the toe pads, but they are hard. I've never seen anything like it neither has my mother. We have both had cats all our lives. Is this an odd deformity? Is it something that is common for the Manx breed?
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=106&pictureid=980
Same pic without the circles.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=106&pictureid=853

aTailOf2Kitties
03-13-2009, 06:18 PM
ya know my Montego had one similar growing out from the top of one of his toe pads. He was declawed long before I got him and I always just figured one started growing back. It looked just like that though. Same size, but facing downward. I'm guessing a very rudimentary form of extra toes? Kinda cool in a way

Coda'sMommy
03-13-2009, 06:38 PM
She has these on each of her front toes, but oddly none on the back feet. She uses them kinda like pinchers when she gets to rough housing around.

moosmom
03-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Mollie Rose had double dew claws. What does the vet say?? Especially if they're growing out of or into the pads. I'd have him look at them, if you haven't already. They can get infected. They can also get caught and accidentally pulled out which would create a real problem.

Coda'sMommy
03-13-2009, 07:47 PM
He had her at the vet when he first got her and had her spayed, but she's not yet due for her annual visit. I'll have to point it out to the vet when we take her and Coda in to the vet in a few months. I noticed them about 4 months ago and took the pics to email to my mother.

Catlady711
03-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Those appear to be cutaneous horns (http://www.vetinfo.com/cfoot.html) from what I can see in the pix. If they are then two of my cats have those. When they get too long I just snip them off as they are a callous like thing and have no blood supply. Check with your vet first before you clip though just in case.

Here's another site about them with several pix. http://www.messybeast.com/horned-paws.htm

They aren't necessarily a Manx thing. I had a full blood Manx as a child and he did not have those, and the two cats I have now that get them are not Manx cats.

jennielynn1970
03-13-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree with catlady, they look like cutaneous horns. My one cat, Honeybun, has them, although he gets them on his back feet as well. It's like a fungus that grows. If they are cutaneous horns, they can be trimmed with the nail clipper you use one their claws.

Coda'sMommy
03-14-2009, 01:30 AM
WOW!! TY the second link was very informative, and a few of the set of white paws look just like Heidi's! The first link kinda scared me. She is such a healthy cat and so full of energy, I would find it hard to picture anything medically wrong with her. These "horns" don't seem to hinder her in any way, and don't seem to be growing at a fast rate. I think I'll let the vet trim them though when she goes in for her annual. She throws a fit when I clip her real claws every 3 weeks, bites and squeals like I'm hurting her. I take great care to not clip into the quick which can be tough when she is pulling her foot out of my grasp. I always make sure to give her treats after we are done hoping she will calm down about it eventually.

Medusa
03-14-2009, 06:40 AM
My RB Peeka had just one but at the time I didn't know what it was called. I snipped it off just as I did w/her claws when it was trim time and she didn't even flinch. I could tell it was "dead" and that there was no blood supply so I wasn't hesitant to do so.

catmandu
03-14-2009, 09:40 AM
I have never seen extra claws on a Cat , and I think they are cool, and that they are all right for Heidi.
Those are extra claws for swatting her TOYS!!!:love::love::love:

kb2yjx
03-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Our Tina Peepers has 10 of them, one for each claw(except the dew claw), and they get trimmed regularly just like her claws!!! I thought I was the only one who never saw anything like that!!! WHEW!!!