PDA

View Full Version : How common is the use of iodized salt in the USA?

Kirsten
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Guess my question seems to be a bit strange, but I will tell you why I've asked.

Iodized salt and iodized food in general is a huge issue for people with autoimmune thyroid disorders like Hashimoto's or Graves disease. Here in Germany, there's a lot of iodine in the food due to the iodine prophylaxis (to prevent goiter), but as it turns out, more and more people are beginning to react sensitive to iodine, and the bad thing is, there's no escape from it, and you cannot control your daily intake because you cannot tell how much iodine your food actually contains.

Well, to make a long story short, we were discussing travelling, and how safe it is for iodine-sensitive people to travel to foreign countries (several others have iodine prophylaxis, too, like Austria and Switzerland). As far as I know, this is not a common thing in the United States, but I read that a substance that is used to "bleach" the flour contains iodine. People who consider travelling to the US are also wondering about the use of iodized salt in meals.

Does anyone of you know if hotels or restaurants use iodized salt? How common is the use of iodized salt anyway? Is iodized salt or iodine added to the food that you can buy in supermarkets? Do the labels declare that there's iodine in it?

Would be great if you could help by giving me some information on this subject!

Thanks,
Kirsten

RICHARD
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Does anyone of you know if hotels or restaurants use iodized salt? How common is the use of iodized salt anyway? Is iodized salt or iodine added to the food that you can buy in supermarkets? Do the labels declare that there's iodine in it?

Would be great if you could help by giving me some information on this subject!

Thanks,
Kirsten

Most of the salt is iodized here in the U.S. I don't know about the salt that is added to food, but I use kosher salt most of the time and can tell the difference between the different types. The IS has a metallic aftertaste and the KS does not.

HOpe it helps.

Kirsten
03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes, that helps, thanks a lot. But of course it's no good news for those who react to it. BTW, I think you're right about the metallic taste!

Does anyone know if iodine is added to animal food? They do that here, and that way, even eggs, milk and dairy products contain a lot of iodine here in Germany (from the cows that eat that iodized food), and you cannot control it.

Kirsten

Randi
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Kirsten, I imagine that gourmet restaurants would not use iodized salt - I don't either. :p I use Maldon and have done for years. Only if I run out, I have a cheap package of salt I use - it does taste awful/metallic, though!

Kirsten
03-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Kirsten, I imagine that gourmet restaurants would not use iodized salt

Here they do, unfortunately! :( I think it would be safer to ask before you eat somewhere, at least when you're iodine-sensitive...

Randi, as far as I know, Denmark doesn't practise iodine prophylaxis, and I think that is much better for it's in your own hands how much iodine you eat, and you can control your daily intake.

Kirsten

kitten645
03-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I believe iodized salt was the only option here years ago. As tastes have refined and people become more educated, Kosher salt is the prefered salt. I would imagine that cheap restaurants and fast food places would use iodized salt since it's cheap. I would think that any restaurant that has a chef as opposed to a short order cook would use Kosher.
Sea Salt is quite a fad here now as well. People here are super aware of food now and any decent restaurant, even a chain like Chevy's or Applebee's would be able to tell you what kind of salt (or any other ingredient issue you might have) is used. If iodine is an issue, I would just look for low sodium options. Certainly people watch their salt intake not just for the iodine but for other health considerations.
I'm learning more and more about cooking for myself and I find I enjoy the food I make when I KNOW the ingredients are fresh and what I put into my meal. Even when traveling, it's better to find a salad bar and choose what you put into your body. :p:love:

Hellow
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Iodized salt usage is pretty common in the US, since, like others have said, its cheap. Kosher salt has been gaining ground fast, though.

IRescue452
03-15-2009, 11:29 AM
People here are basically taught that iodized salt is the best for you because you need iodine. Little do most people know how much more they eat than they need. I wouldn't trust any restaurants here unless you ask them, and even then, the food they use they they didn't personally add salt to during cooking probably still carries more than one knows. Sodium ferrocyanide (yellow prussiate of soda, prussic acid...) is another salt additive you've got to watch out for. I only use plain salt.

Kirsten
03-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone, that's very helpful!

People here are basically taught that iodized salt is the best for you because you need iodine. Little do most people know how much more they eat than they need.

Exactly!! It's the same here in Germany, and we have no chance to avoid it as it's everywhere in our food. Most people think it's good for them, but you cannot control how much of it you actually eat. And people who have to avoid it due to certain thyroid conditions, or who react sensitive to iodine really have a problem here.

Kirsten

wolfsoul
03-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I think most salt in North America is iodized. Sea salt is becoming a trend these days but it is mostly used only in health foods and as an additive to something that already has other salts in it (ie sandwiches -- sea salt on top of the bread but containing meat that is already high in sodium). I've never heard of iodine sensitivity; It must not be something seen often around here. If anything, the salt here is killing us because it causes heart disease. Funny thing is, there's alot of hypothyroidism here too, even with the amount of iodine we do get. There are usually low-sodium options on menus here, even if you have to ask for it. Some menus even have the nutritional information, even if it's only on the "light section" (like White Spot). It's always best to just cook at home though. I always buy the "no salt added" organic soups and just add a small bit of salt or seasonings. My 1/4 tsp to a whole can of soup is nothing compared to the 1400 mgs that the soup manufacturers add (I find 700 mg per half a can is common).

Marigold2
03-15-2009, 12:51 PM
You have recieved some great advice here. Have had Graves for 21 years. It's important to stay away from packaged foods, frozen and can soups, packed noodles and the like. Even so called healthy frozen meals pack a lot of salt.
Worst thing for Graves however is to smoke, it is truly a death sentence coming at you like a speeding train.
Best of luck.

Daisy and Delilah
03-15-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm allergic to iodine if taken internally. It's the only thing to which I am allergic. I found this out after a CT scan where I was injected with contrast dye.

I'm allergic, to any seafood of the ocean. Shellfish, etc. Too bad this is my favorite food. I eat seafood but itch like a maniac later. I take Benadryl for that. Luckily, I don't have a severe allergic reaction with seafood. It's much worse with the contrast dye. Itching, swelling, turning red, etc. I have to request that they use no contrast dye on me at all anymore. They offer a steroid prep but it's ridiculous(they want you to take 15 steroid tablets prior to having the scan) so we just do without the dye.

I remember the days of Morton's salt. We used to have nothing but iodized salt. I use sea salt now but in strict moderation. I have noticed alot of the restaurants I go to have kosher salt or sea salt on the tables now. I seriously think many of them are still using iodized salt.

Pinot's Mom
03-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I never even thought about it - I grew up with the blue Morton's canister and have always bought it!
I have a compromised immune system (due to Psoriatic Arthritis and the treatment) but no one has ever mentioned anything about salt to me.:confused:

IRescue452
03-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I didn't know if kosher salt had socium ferrocyanide in it so I looked today when I was at the store and the box I looked at does. Amazing how people have so many health problems at the chemical plants that process the stuff and yet its still allowed to be added to our food.

moosmom
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I use natural sea salt. Haven't used iodized salt in years.

Kirsten
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies, very interesting!

Funny thing is, there's alot of hypothyroidism here too, even with the amount of iodine we do get.

Extactly, that's definitely something that makes you wonder... :confused: It's the same here. :eek: I'm one of them.

Have had Graves for 21 years. It's important to stay away from packaged foods, frozen and can soups, packed noodles and the like. Even so called healthy frozen meals pack a lot of salt.

So true!

Itching, swelling, turning red, etc. I have to request that they use no contrast dye on me at all anymore.

Wow! :eek: That's sounds like a typical iodine allergy! But there's also iodine-free contrast dye, isn't it? They always inject me something when I have my MRTs, and they always say it doesn't contain iodine.

I have a compromised immune system (due to Psoriatic Arthritis and the treatment) but no one has ever mentioned anything about salt to me.

I'm not sure whether Iodine affects Psoriatic Arthritis also. :rolleyes:

Amazing how people have so many health problems at the chemical plants that process the stuff and yet its still allowed to be added to our food.

Very sad actually! :(

Kirsten

Daisy and Delilah
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies, very interesting!
Wow! :eek: That's sounds like a typical iodine allergy! But there's also iodine-free contrast dye, isn't it? They always inject me something when I have my MRTs, and they always say it doesn't contain iodine.
Kirsten

I think there is an iodine free dye. I've heard they can use it and the image isn't as clear.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I use iodized salt but not much of it due to my blood pressure. (I'm not to have much of any salt)

When I worked in a restaurant many many many many many years ago, that's they type of salt they used too. :love:

Kirsten
03-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I think there is an iodine free dye. I've heard they can use it and the image isn't as clear.

Don't know, maybe it's depending on the body part that's going to be scanned. They used it for my back and my brain, and I guess it worked fine...

When I worked in a restaurant many many many many many years ago, that's they type of salt they used too.

It's the same here, but meanwhile, more and more people ask for iodine-free salt.

Kirsten

Daisy and Delilah
03-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Kirsten, that could be it for sure. It depends on the body part. I haven't had dye in quite awhile and, so far so good. :)

Kirsten
03-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I haven't had dye in quite awhile and,

Good for you! :)

I need to have my brain scanned every year to control my pituitary gland adenoma, and they need dye for that - but they say it's iodine-free...

Kirsten