PDA

View Full Version : How much sleep is 'normal'?

Lorifrances
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello, I have a 13 year old indoors Himalayan cat. He seems to be sleeping quite a bit yet I wonder if I'm just paranoid or if that is perfectly typical for an elderly cat? His appetite is pretty much the same as it's always been and he is very affectionate, but I still feel anxious to see him sleeping so much. He sleeps for most of the day with periods of getting up to take some water and then it's back to the cat bed. How much does an elderly cat typically sleep? Maybe I'm just thinking too hard!
Thanks for any thoughts, Lori

slick
03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
What's normal to one cat isn't normal to another.
I have a 16 year old Flame Point Persian and he must sleep 18-20 hrs a day now. Even when he was younger I noticed that he slept alot - not as much as now - but he certainly slept more than my RB tabby Speckles. I would say as long as his input and output are good then there is not too much cause for concern. If he starts to hide or becomes lethargic, that's the time for a white coat visit.

Would love to see some pictures. :)

kb2yjx
03-12-2009, 07:35 AM
ditto to the above post. But just for the heck of it, it would not hurt to get your Senior Boy into the vet for a check up and some blood work....if it has not been done in awhile....

Medusa
03-12-2009, 08:07 AM
ditto to the above post. But just for the heck of it, it would not hurt to get your Senior Boy into the vet for a check up and some blood work....if it has not been done in awhile....

Yes, I second this. A yearly exam w/blood work is always a good idea, especially w/senior cats. I do hope that all is well. :)

moosmom
03-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Cats usually sleep 19 hours a day. As they get older, they sleep a lot more. My Mollie Rose, who turns 15 on Mother's Day sleeps ALLLLLLLL the time!!

Lorifrances
03-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all of your posts, it feels very reassuring to be amidst such a caring group of other cat lovers. I do need to have my cat go for a vet check-up before too long - when they're this age, it seems like it's a leagues away from their spastic kitty days! I wonder if the longevity differs a lot between cats? I've heard of some going strong even around 21 years old. Yet I don't find that to be the case with my experience unfortunately.
Time goes too fast with our pets.
Thanks again for the wonderful posts and the information you all shared:)Lori