PDA

View Full Version : Girl Names...WE'RE HAVING A GIRL! (video posted #51)

finn's mom
03-10-2009, 07:29 PM
David asked me to post a poll and get an idea on which of these names is the most appealing to the most people. :) Ultimately, we'll just choose the name we want, but this poll may sway us a little...Please don't say anything too negative about any of the names, though. Thanks! (And, no, we don't know if we're having a girl, yet, we just don't have this many boy names to choose from at this point. :))

carole
03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Kari when i saw your post i got all excited thinking you were having a wee girl,lol anyhow I like Natalie Elizabeth myself, i alway's think of the beautiful actress Natalie wood.:)

jenluckenbach
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I voted Clara Elizabeth. First I want to say I LOVE, totally LOVE the name Elizabeth!

I like Clara best, maybe because it was my Nana's name (great Grandmother). A very sweet, special lady. But it is also "classic" and feminine.

Josephine is too many sylables for my taste, and I don't like the nicknames that will show up. (my personal preference)

Natalie, I like, I just like Clara best. Clara is also not over used like some names are.

What are you boy names (or name?)

finn's mom
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I voted Clara Elizabeth. First I want to say I LOVE, totally LOVE the name Elizabeth!

I like Clara best, maybe because it was my Nana's name (great Grandmother). A very sweet, special lady. But it is also "classic" and feminine.

Josephine is too many sylables for my taste, and I don't like the nicknames that will show up. (my personal preference)

Natalie, I like, I just like Clara best. Clara is also not over used like some names are.

What are you boy names (or name?)

Yeah, Clara and Josephine both are classic names, and we didn't find either of them in the "top 100" names in the past few years. Which isn't necessarily the deciding factor, but it's kinda cool that it's not too trendy.

I love the nicknames that will show up for Jospehine, actually (Jo, Joey, etc). And, it's part of why we love Elizabeth, too (besides the fact that it's both our mother's names). I like giving a person options for later in life. Whatever they personally prefer. Natalie has cute shorter versions, too (Nat, Natty...my friend called her neighbor Nat Nat). Clara is the only one I can't think of a nickname for. :)

We don't really have any options for boys, yet, but when we do, you guys will more than likely hear them. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Love the name Clara. It was my great-grandmothers name, and boy, did I love that woman. :)

You could call her Claire for short, lol.

Daisy and Delilah
03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I love Clara Elizabeth. It has a wonderful sound to it. :)

Claire is a good nickname. Or, maybe, Clare.:)

caseysmom
03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I had to vote for Natalie, my babies name is Natalie. I still love that name. The kids went to school with a weird Clara...sorry that ruined that name for me.

caseysmom
03-10-2009, 10:50 PM
My Natalie read this thread and she says Natalie is the best :D

She also says that with so many grandmothers having the name Natalie that may be a hint to you :D Out of the mouths of teens!

I had originally chosen between Natalie and Sara, for years she wished she had been Sara, now she likes Natalie.

By the way Carol, I had picked Sara but my husband liked Natalie because of Natalie Wood.

jenluckenbach
03-11-2009, 05:09 AM
I love the nicknames that will show up for Jospehine, actually (Jo, Joey, etc). And, it's part of why we love Elizabeth, too (besides the fact that it's both our mother's names). I like giving a person options for later in life. Whatever they personally prefer. Natalie has cute shorter versions, too (Nat, Natty...my friend called her neighbor Nat Nat). Clara is the only one I can't think of a nickname for. :)

I never thought of it that way. I actually prefer names that can't be changed into nicknames easily.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
My vote is for Clara, though I like all 3 names. Claire was/is on my list of favorite girl names.

Grace
03-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I actually prefer names that can't be changed into nicknames easily.

I'm with Jen here. I know kids like nicknames though.

I like your first and third choices, Clara and/or Natalie.

happylabs
03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I vote Clara Elizabeth! I like the way it sounds. Plus, it will be a name that teachers cannot mess up too much. My daughter's name is Rachael Elizabeth. From kindergarten on all of her teachers spelled it the wrong way...Rachel...and I was constantly correcting them. She is in college now and people still mess it up! Obviously I love the name Elizabeth too. I hope you have a beautiful and healthy baby. Good luck!

cassiesmom
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
My niece's middle name is Claire, for her great-grandmother. I'd vote for either Clara or Natalie.

Karen
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I like the name Clara Elizabeth. Did you know a woman named Clara Barton founded both the American Red Cross, and many public schools in the US?

cyber-sibes
03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I like Clara E. too. It's a lovely name, and not too common. There's an awful lot of "Natalie"s these days. Josephine was my MIL's name, pretty, but I find it a little too old-fashioned.

caseysmom
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I like Clara E. too. It's a lovely name, and not too common. There's an awful lot of "Natalie"s these days. Josephine was my MIL's name, pretty, but I find it a little too old-fashioned.

Really? I don't know any other Natalie's besides mine...

*LabLoverKEB*
03-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I too really like the sound of Clara Elizabeth. Very pretty name!:)

cyber-sibes
03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Really? I don't know any other Natalie's besides mine...My friend in IL's daughter, and I've run into at least 3 Natalies around here. Maybe its popularity is regional? It is a pretty name, I can understand why its gaining in use.

caseysmom
03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
My first daughter is named Jennifer...now that name is a bit overused but I had it picked for many years while going through infertility and I was set on using it.

One daycare I looked at for her had 5 jennifers already:eek:

Husky_mom
03-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I like Adrienne Elizabeth.. LOL a lil version of my name... hehe Isabel Adriana...

I do like Elizabeth.....

and also Josephine... but a lil too long names...you could use Joseph for a boy... ;)

caseysmom
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I like Adrienne Elizabeth.. LOL a lil version of my name... hehe Isabel Adriana...

I do like Elizabeth.....

and also Josephine... but a lil too long names...you could use Joseph for a boy... ;)

I love Adriana, that is a beautiful name.

finn's mom
03-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I never thought of it that way. I actually prefer names that can't be changed into nicknames easily.

;) It could be that my name has no nickname options, and if you're Jennifer, you probably get all kinds of nicknames! :) Who knows, though, why we like what we like? I gave up trying to figure that out a long time ago! :D

carole
03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I am also one that prefers names that cannot be nick names, but kids always find one no matter what lol, i guess that is why i like carole, no-one has ever called me anything else, except one guy at work who chose to call me Kaz, i have no idea why and i liked that, it is the start of my email address now.

My daughters friends call her Missa, she is Melissa,it has kinda stuck with us as well, although i rather have her real name used, it grows on one lol.:)

Taz_Zoee
03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes, even if you choose a name that can't have nicknames, kids will still make things up. Like rhyming names. Cindy Bindy or Carol Barrel (sorry Carole).
I went to school with a boy named Mark and people always said Mark and Cindy - like Mork and Mindy the old sitcom in the 80's.
Kids will be kids. :p

carole
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Fortunately i was spared that lol, lucky me, no nick names ,only Kaz which has nothing what so ever to do with my name Carole, he just started calling me that at work and it stuck, and i liked it thank goodness .:)

finn's mom
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Well for the sake of the thread, I'm mostly referring to nicknames that are shortened versions of the name itself, not just pet names or playful ones. ;) I have had a few of my own, Karebear being one of them. Half pint, Cheerful, Sunshine, those are names kids called me in school. But, yeah, as long as they're not mean spirited, I like those kinds of deviations. :)

Daisy and Delilah
03-11-2009, 10:57 PM
My first daughter is named Jennifer...now that name is a bit overused but I had it picked for many years while going through infertility and I was set on using it.

One daycare I looked at for her had 5 jennifers already:eek:

My daughter's name is Jennifer too. When I picked her name in 1975, I was so proud of myself. I thought I was being original. Hahahaha.....there must have been 6 other Jennifers in every class she had. Her middle name is Alane--at least I was clever enough to change Elaine to Alane. I don't think I've ever seen that name anywhere else.:)
With her name being Jennifer Alane, she has a ton of nicknames. Some she likes and some she doesn't really care for. At least none of them are in bad taste.:)

Marigold2
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I like the way Clara looks with the name Elizabeth. The length of the name rolls off the tongue well also. I think the others are too long when they are spoken with Elizabeth.

beeniesmom
03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I like them all but Clara Elizabeth is so sophisticated and pretty.
We have to decide on what our lil girl will be named... :confused:

Cataholic
03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I must have a weird tongue! ClarA Elizabeth is tough for me to articulate. I would rather it be Claire Elizabeth.

I don't know what your last name is (and I am not asking), but, I would be cautious of having your child's initials spell something. For instance, my friend is having a baby girl in May. If they went with just her last name, and didn't hyphen it with his, this little one's initials would be ARS.

molucass
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I voted for Clara Elizabeth..
Clara was Robin's grandmothers name, and I think the name is really pretty.

I also think Natalie Claire would be cute..

You could always give her two middle names though..
Brynn's full name is Taryn Brynn Elizabeth. I couldn't decide which I liked better, Taryn or Brynn, so we just went with both.

kokopup
03-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I like all three names. Natalie one of my all time favorites is becoming
very common. The name "Natalie Elizabeth" has a nice feel. One
of my friends growing up went by "Mary Elizabeth" and no one ever tried to nickname her or call her anything else. When she grew up she herself had people start calling her LIZ. Natalie means "Christ birthday"

Clara or Clara Elizabeth is also beautiful. The famous Clara Barton of Red Cross fame shorted her name from Clarissa. Clarissa Elizabeth is also pretty.

I like Josephine but mainly because it reminds me of my teen years.
Fats Domino had a smash hit then called "Josephine" or "hello Josephine".

I don't feel the flow with the name "Josephine Elizabeth".

One caution if you have a common late name like I do, find a first name or first & middle name that is not common. My son growing up had 3 Micheal David's in his class. He had 2 that had the same last
name. Every NFL football team in american has at least one Micheal
xxxxxxx. on their team. :D

finn's mom
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Our last name is not common and starts with an L. CEL, JEL, or NEL. I love the way all three names sound - alone and with the middle and last names. Clara and Josephine both are definitely old, old, old, and I think Natalie's been around a long while, too. Natalie is the most common of the three, I've always known at least two or three Natalies wherever I went. It's the only one of the three that's been in the top 40 consistently for the last few decades, if I remember the research correctly. It'll just have to come down to which one feels right. That is, if we have a girl!

snowbelle15
03-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I voted for Clara Elizabeth. That's a pretty name. I like the name Clara and Elizabeth is my middle name too. :D

sumbirdy
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
I voted for Natalie. It just seems so pretty. I can just picture a pretty little Natalie, in a pretty ruffled dress running around. :D

caseysmom
03-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I voted for Natalie. It just seems so pretty. I can just picture a pretty little Natalie, in a pretty ruffled dress running around. :D

I picture a sixteen year old driving around and blasting country music:D

sumbirdy
03-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I picture a sixteen year old driving around and blasting country music:D

LOL! She could get to that, but first she'll be in a pretty little dress....;)

caseysmom
03-12-2009, 11:30 PM
LOL! She could get to that, but first she'll be in a pretty little dress....;)

Yeah I am joking, that is where my Nat is. She was once a sweet little girl with ruffeley dresses. She has grown into a young lady I am very proud of.

Suki Wingy
03-13-2009, 11:02 PM
I like Josephine because I'm really fond of names you can shorted to be not so girly.

beeniesmom
03-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Soooooooooooooooooo! Will you be using one of these names or a boy name!
You find out today huh???

finn's mom
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
We're having a little girl! :D

jenluckenbach
03-19-2009, 06:37 PM
WOO HOO!!

Leaning towards a particular name yet?

Husky_mom
03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I voted on Carmen and you having boys... haha...

congrats!!!...

did you get any pics?... I know I know.... ultrasound pics... :p

finn's mom
03-19-2009, 07:46 PM
I voted on Carmen and you having boys... haha...

congrats!!!...

did you get any pics?... I know I know.... ultrasound pics... :p

We only got one paper still picture, but we came home with a DVD of the whole sonogram. We're trying to get it onto the computer! :)

finn's mom
03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
WOO HOO!!

Leaning towards a particular name yet?

Not yet...

Daisy and Delilah
03-19-2009, 08:23 PM
YAY!!!!! A little girl. Yipppppeeeeee and BIG CONGRATS!!!!:)

Daisy and Delilah
03-19-2009, 08:32 PM
YAY!!!!! A little girl. Yipppppeeeeee and BIG CONGRATS!!!!:)

carole
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh Kari honey i am so delighted for you both, everyone i know has been having boys, A GIRL at last YAHOOO........

beeniesmom
03-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Awesome! 2 little girls! This is great! :D:D:D

prechrswife
03-19-2009, 09:34 PM
How fun! Congratulations!:D

finn's mom
03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Here's our sonogram from yesterday. It will probably bore most, especially with no sound. ;) But, there may be one or two that would like to see it...My favorite part is right when he's measuring her legs, she really starts squirming. It made my beautiful momma cry. :)

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54342041">Baby Girl</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54342041,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,se condarycolor="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54342041,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,se condarycolor=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"/></object>

Husky_mom
03-20-2009, 01:22 PM
O....M....G...!!!... that was so cute!!!

non-moms might need a second to understand the images but they are so clear... I saw the measuring of the head... I saw the spine, the legs... cute toesies... such a wiggler.. awww.... the zooming part I assumed was the let-me-show-you-itīs-a-girl... even with no sound you could clearly see THAT.. haha... then I saw the full face shots... hos adorable.. very cute face... and the little fingers awww....

congrats again!!!... she looks so big.. but yet so small... awwww...

Taz_Zoee
03-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey Isabel, I am a "non-mom" and I saw it perfectly clear. :p I've never seen one that clear that wasn't a 3D version.
The shots of her face were amazing. And she is a little wiggle worm, isn't she? :D

So I'm guessing we wait until the big day before we know which name you've decided on. :)

Congratulations!!!

Husky_mom
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
I know.. this one was so clear!!... :D ... really really clear.. not the type that makes you tilt your head and squint and think trying to figure out what is what... so perfectly clear...

finn's mom
03-20-2009, 02:46 PM
You guys rock! Even with our first sonogram pictures, I kept thinking...Is it just me? Or is our baby already really photogenic? ;) I am pretty much still a "non mom" and I have had no problem viewing the pictures or anything. I still look at other sonograms and practically go cross-eyed trying to figure them out, even with someone telling me what I'm looking at.

She is a wiggle worm for sure! I'm excited to start feeling all those kicks! (I'm sure I won't say that for the entire pregnancy, though, haha.)

It is awesome reading your responses to her first video! :)

And, as for the name "reveal", you guys will know pretty much as soon as we know. We are planning to incorporate her name into the room via the Dr Seuss wall lettering, so as soon as we make a decision, we'll buy the lettering. It's looking to either be "Clara, oh the places you'll go!" or "Natalie, oh the places you'll go!" :D

My mother sent us "Oh Baby The Places You'll Go...a book to be read in utero" and David has read it to the baby every night. It's really charming. :)

AdoreMyDogs
03-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Oh my gosh Kari I'm so happy for you!!!!! I'm surprised, too, I thought you'd have a boy :) I LOOOOVED the part of the sonogram where the legs were getting measured. It's so amazing. Oh, and as for the kicking part, it's wonderful through out the entire pregnancy in my opinion, the only thing that was uncomfortable for me was the little bitty foot that kicked my ribcage. That was the only thing that was uncomfortable and not all babies do it. It just so happened that both my kids did it.

Wow I'm so happy for you :) How much fun you're going to have with your little angel!

caseysmom
03-20-2009, 03:31 PM
My Natalie is still rooting for Natalie:D

beeniesmom
03-20-2009, 03:47 PM
So wonderful! :D
Not to hijack the thread but the second ultrasound this morning confirmed that indeed we definately are having a girl.

finn's mom
03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
So wonderful! :D
Not to hijack the thread but the second ultrasound this morning confirmed that indeed we definately are having a girl.

Woop woop! You're not hijacking! I know, our doctor told us that it's not 100% guaranteed, but it sure looked like a girl to us. ;)

ChrisH
03-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Here's our sonogram from yesterday. It will probably bore most, especially with no sound. ;) But, there may be one or two that would like to see it...My favorite part is right when he's measuring her legs, she really starts squirming. It made my beautiful momma cry. :)

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54342041">Baby Girl</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54342041,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,se condarycolor="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54342041,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,se condarycolor=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"/></object>
How wonderful! That is the first one I've ever seen! (didn't have them in the olden days when I had my son. ;))
Congratulations!

ps I also voted for the name Clara Elizabeth. Beautiful name for a beautiful little girl.:D

Pembroke_Corgi
03-22-2009, 12:10 PM
A little girl- how exciting!! :love: The video is so neat- one day your daughter will be able to see herself before she was even born! Congrats again. :)

PS- I voted for Josephine. I like all of them but I think this one is pretty, unusual, and can sound sophisticated as Josephine and cute as Jo or Josie.

carole
03-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh my gosh Kari that was awesome, your little girl is beautiful indeed, i cannot believe how clear the sonograms are today, when i had my son and daughter much later on , i still could not make out anything, was quite disappointing, i wanted to know the sex of my second baby, and would you believe it they could not tell me as the cord was you know where, she was a surprise , i had longed for a girl, having ten years apart with my children, and she was made to order, blonde and blue eyed just what i wanted, lucky eh?

Thank you so much for sharing, it was so wonderful to see and share with you.:):love:

Giselle
03-22-2009, 07:21 PM
That is SO exciting!!! Congrats to you! Little girls are the best ;)

Btw, I still love the name Natalie, too :D But I will admit that Clara is very polished, very classic. Can't wait to hear which name you decide on!!

molucass
03-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Does she have her little arms folded up beside her head in part of it?

That really was a clear ultrasound.. Mine was really not as clear as that.

The part where he was trying to measure her legs was so cute.

finn's mom
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Does she have her little arms folded up beside her head in part of it?

Yeah, near the end. It was actually really sweet, I had my arms the same way when she did it. One arm was under her head and the other was next to her head. :)

finn's mom
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Well, it's down to Clara and Natalie. Still no closer to deciding which...we may just wait until she shows her face for the first time. :) I'd rather have it picked before, simply because we want to put her name on the wall, and I'd like to have the nursery 100% done before her big debut! But, if you haven't voted, please do!

Carmen's baby girl name poll reminded me of this thread.

molucass
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah, near the end. It was actually really sweet, I had my arms the same way when she did it. One arm was under her head and the other was next to her head. :)

My sister had her legs crossed and her arm behind her head when she was having her ultrasound done for my niece, and Eden was doing the same thing as my sister..

carole
04-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I am still voting for Natalie kari, i think it is a very pretty name myself.,whatever her name she will be just beautiful anyhow, just look at her mother.:):love: